PDA

View Full Version : Stretched Cam Chain?

HondaOnly
08-04-2004, 04:52 PM
I have 400ex with multiple modifications to the engine including 440 11:1, hotcams stage 2, Lectron 38mm carb, ported + Polished head, Lrd Pro 4 Exhaust. My 440 doesnt seem to be pulling as hard as i would expect it to, infact, the low end seems to be very flat and it doesnt feel like it makes much more power than stock until around 3/4th to full throttle, thats when it absolutly screams. I was wondering if its possible that the stock cam chain indeed has stretched out, thus the reason for such a flat low end. Also, how common is a stretched cam chain? Could it be that the cam is one link retarded from what it should be?....what would some of the symptoms of that be?

Thanks

nakomis0
08-04-2004, 06:21 PM
A cam chain can stretch just like a drive chain can. Is that your problem? Sounds like a possiblity.

Has it always been like this?

Could be a bad port job.

Could need to be jetted better, on a dyno.

HondaOnly
08-04-2004, 06:39 PM
I noticed a while back that the engine was struggling more in the low to mid riange, even before any modifications. I bet it is a stretched chain. Oh well, if that is the case, how much power would I lose? Also, what about if the cam timing is off by one link, would I know? Finally, the porting and jetting is fine, the engine soars up to the redline faster than I can react, It just seems to be a little weaker than I would expect when the gears are high. Im going to have it dyno'd one of these days, maybe i just have too high standards. What should a 400 with my mods be making as power goes?