PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Sponsors

Quad Racer 600
08-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Anyone have any tips for writing resume's to sponsors? is there like a template that i should follow when writing to companys? should i include pictures? any info will be a great help.

roostin_dale
08-04-2004, 05:05 PM
I just wrote mine somewhat like an essay. I inluded the mods on my bike, a still picture, a few action shots, and a picture of myself.

Include any series that you will be racing in or any national events. Most companies like them to be neatly typed out, not hand written. Some will just throw out hand written ones. Be sure to use spell/grammar check.

Don't overload it with too much boring info, or TOO many pictures. You don't want to bore them. Also include previous race results and expierences.

Hope that helped a little...

XCAdam89
08-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Straight from ACracing.com

Resume 100

Well here it is, another year has gone by and here you are writing your 2004 resume in hopes of the best sponsorship possible. You are probably reflecting on you're 2003 season and all of your great finishes and accomplishments, or maybe your thinking of how your 2003 season should have gone.

Well don't stay up all night long digging out all your old "Cycle News" clippings, counting all your trophies, and finisher pins. Don't sweat the cost involved with one of the numerous resume writing companies. Welcome to Resume Writing 100, or at least Will's quick and effective resume writing. Being one of the people who will be receiving your resume here is my input on making a resume that works.

Most importantly keep it short and simple. Keep in mind the reps. that are going to be reading these resumes receive hundreds every year. Everything from single page hand written "complete with spelling errors I might add" resumes, to full videos put to music. Yes they are very impressive but keep in mind its content that counts. So here are my 5 easy steps to making you're 2004 resume.

Biography

Start with the basics, name, age, address, bike, class you ride in and important people that help you with your race program (i.e. mother, father, girlfriend, etc.) Remember they are your biggest sponsors.

Itinerary

Put together your schedule for the upcoming year. List the different series you plan on racing. Even if it's only local events. "Very Important."

Existing Sponsors

This is also very important. Keep in mind most reps. and team managers from all the various companies you so eagerly want to back you, talk to each other all the time. We see each other at the numerous events that we frequent, everything from the Annual Dealer Show in Indy, all the way to just working the local races. We talk to each other about our biggest and best names (of course), but we also discuss the one to watch out for. (Remember the Bradshaw era). Simply put, "don't burn down any bridges." Even if you and a sponsor need to part ways do it tactfully. You may need that sponsor again some day down the road.

Photos

This is the fun part for reps. A couple of shots is all that's necessary, but make sure to include an action photo or two. A shot of you're trailer or box van, and finally a head shot of yourself no helmet. This helps me to remember you and put a face to your name.

The Hook

This is probably the most difficult part of Resume Writing 100. Give me a paragraph or two on what you can do for AC. We already know what we can do for you. What singles you out from the other applicants? Sell yourself to me. Cover things like you're attitude, professionalism, commitment and sportsmanship. You get the idea. Sell yourself to me.

Contact Info

Do not for get to put how to contact you. It makes it really hard to contact you if we do not have your address, and phone number.

Remember

2005 is just around the corner. Most companies start accepting resumes between September and close February or March. So whether you choose to write it yourself, pay somebody to write it for you or hire a complete Hollywood film crew, just remember "keep it brief" and have fun with it. Remember its only racing and as long as your having fun you've already won.

Good Luck,
William Meade

dopeyferree
08-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Will companies such as AC, DG , other big name companies sponsor riders who race only state series. I run XC races in VA and have talked a little to a couple small local shops but is there even a chance a big company will sponsor a local rider?

redroost85
08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Personally, I don't even mess with the big time companies. I'd rather represent someone local to expose their name and expand their product base.

I represent a local atv shop, a powdercoater, a fabricating business, and a shock professional/fabricator.

Getting their name out and representing well are things that I am proud to do because they treat me so well.

Remember, results are good, but good representation is better.:)

roostin_dale
08-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Redroost I see McNett is your sponsor. I pulled up at southwick, opend my trailer and my rear shock was blown. I took it to him, he fixed it up and he gave me a sponsorship deal, very cool guy!

redroost85
08-06-2004, 10:10 AM
You betcha bud!:cool: Nate McNett is a great friend and sponsor of mine. I would be lost without his support.:o

Did ya hit him up for some stickers......I know he got some new shirts made up this year too, lol!:D

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you need any more info on Nate...I might have some extra stickers lying around too!:devil:

Quad Racer 600
08-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info everyone :macho

roostin_dale
08-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by redroost85
You betcha bud!:cool: Nate McNett is a great friend and sponsor of mine. I would be lost without his support.:o

Did ya hit him up for some stickers......I know he got some new shirts made up this year too, lol!:D

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you need any more info on Nate...I might have some extra stickers lying around too!:devil:

yea he gave me a whole roll of stickers..lol

It was cool of him to rebuild my shock right on the spot! When he was done i took him another blown shock i had in the trailer, fixed it right up too...if you ask him im sure he remembers me!

redroost85
08-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Well hustle up and get that motor ready for Lorettas so you can go represent, lol!:D

roostin_dale
08-06-2004, 12:55 PM
well it blew at souithwick....the rod came out both cases so its trashed..the head has holes and the cylinder is chipped. When i took it apart the cylinder was full of sand...

right now im looking for a built 250x motor