PDA

View Full Version : spyware

Crashmore 22
08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
What is the best free spyware killer?

250EXpwns
08-04-2004, 04:29 PM
Try SpySweeper (http://www.webroot.com):D
I use it and it works great! It's amazing how many spyware programs it found on my PC!

Florida400EX
08-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy.... you can get it on download.com

knighttime
08-04-2004, 05:56 PM
what is spyware? :confused:

does it have anything to do with pop-up ads?:confused: :cuss:

Big400EX
08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Try Ad-Ware.

Search for it on www.download.com

or

www.lavasoftusa.com

Duncanracer
08-04-2004, 09:34 PM
get ad-aware

update it

then use these settings

* Configure Ad-aware

o Click on the Gear-shaped icon at the top to open the Settings window.
o All of the following settings I mention should be enabled (green checkmark). Some settings cannot be enabled in certain versions of Windows. If a setting I mention is grey and can't be enabled, skip it.
o General Settings - Automatically save log-file, Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal, and Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
o Scanning Settings

+ Scan Within Archives
+ Click on 'Click here to select drives + folders' and check next to each hard drive then hit ok.
+ Scan Active Processes
+ Scan Registry
+ Deep Scan Registry
+ Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
+ Scan my Hosts file

o Advanced Settings - Enable all four options under 'Log-file Detail level'
o Tweak Settings

+ Under 'Scanning Engine' - Enable 'Unload recognized processes during scanning', 'Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile', and 'Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile'
+ Under ‘Cleaning Engine’ - Enable 'Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot'

o Click Proceed

* Click on the 'Start' button in the lower right.
* Select 'Use custom scanning options', enable 'Activate in-depth scanning', and click Next. The scan will take several minutes to complete. When the scan is complete click Next.
* Right click on the list of items and click 'Select all items' then click Next. Press Yes to confirm. The detected items are now quarantined.
* Close Ad-aware and reboot.

run it in safe mode works alot better, it caught alot mroe things wrong with mine...

Fender Bender
08-04-2004, 09:39 PM
I use Spybot, Ad-Aware Pro, SpySweeper, and Window Washer and between the 4 I haven't had any problems. Take duncanracer's advice and run these problems in safe mode (to get to safe mode, press F8 when it loads your drives on the boot screen, and it will give you about 7 or 8 options, choose option 3).

bluebaron
08-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
what is spyware? :confused:

does it have anything to do with pop-up ads?:confused: :cuss:

its gay as hell, i think i have it on my computer, that or either a trojan, i was just going to format it, cuase i dont really anything on it

Rrider4life8
08-05-2004, 10:49 AM
spyware sucks!