PDA

View Full Version : Epileptic Dog

stace609
08-04-2004, 10:59 AM
On Saturday night our dog had his his 4th seizure since April. It was scary as hell. He laid down on his side and all his muscles contracted and he was unconsious for a minute or two. I took him to the vet again and we decided to start him on anticonvulsant medication. He has to take this stuff everyday for at least two years now and go and get blood panels done every 6 months. Luckily our vet is really good and the medicine they decided to give doesn't cause liver damage the mainstream seizure medication. Have any of you ever had a dog in this situation? How did you deal with it? Please pray for Dakota:(

spincr4hire
08-04-2004, 11:04 AM
sorry to hear that, what type of dog do you have?

my chocolate lab used to do that in his first year as a pup, but eventually grew out of it. Its pretty common in pure breeds.

400grl
08-04-2004, 11:20 AM
I had a pug that would go into seizures sometimes.....the first time she did it she was about 5 years old, and it was in the middle of the night on my bed.....I ran screaming into my parent's room holding her (I was like.....11!) and we thought she was dying.......then she laid all still....and we thought she was a goner.....then about a minute later she sat up....looked at like WTF are you all looking at? and went back to bed! Man was that wierd!!! She had them about once a year after that......but we knew what they were after that.

Just make sure your dog doesn't hurt himself and keep him away from things he/she might bump into or knock over......they have NO idea what's going on - it's like they black out. And give lots of love when he/she comes to, again.....they get kind of scared when they wake up. You will get used to it more, but it's always kind of scary.

stace609
08-04-2004, 11:21 AM
we adopted him 2 years ago. they told us he was a german sheperd mix, but i've seen quite a few dogs that look like him. one of the owners told me it's a breed but I'm not sure. my avatar is a picture of him.

Bretmd94
08-04-2004, 02:15 PM
I had a Basset Hound that had seizures. He would have one about every month that i knew of. I usually jsut held him so he didnt walk in circles or fall down any stairs (he did that once when one was starting). Its kind of sad to see your dog like that, but just hold them, pet them and wait it out. My dogs werent very violent, he would jsut get really stiff and shake a bit. Maybe walk around in circles.

We had meds for mine, but they did nothing and made him extremely melow, so we took him off them. He ended up living to be over 10years old.

Now we have a new basset, hes 14 months old now. No seizures, but he is a huge pain in the butt some times. Not melow at all. Love him to death though.

Flynbryan19
08-04-2004, 02:29 PM
My mothers dog has the same problem. They have her on meds as well. Good luck to you, and I hope the best for you and yours.

MXER017
08-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Its also a common problem with boxers (which I have) The first time I saw my dog do it I was like what the ****!!!! but took her to the vet got the meds and she lived to be about 2 and a half....:( she had her final seizure while lying at the foot of my bed it was horrible,the one I have now had then once in a while but I got her on meds quickly and after about a month they quit and she is fine now,good luck I hope you dont have any young kids around cause I know how it bothered my 3 yr. old son.