View Full Version : planning my life

fasterz
08-03-2004, 10:06 PM
well im going into 12th grade this year and i am starting to visit colleges and trying to plan out where i want to go with my life. i want to go into the field of mechanical type engineering. i am just not sure if the major of mechanical engineering is the right major for what i want to do. i want to go to school to learn how to design and build chassis and such. would the major of mechanical engineering teach about r&d and building and designing of chassis and motors and such? im going to talk to an advisor at a school this week and i will talk to he/she about it but i think i should ask here, is there any one here in this field and what did you major as and what school did you go to, thanks!

an example is like the man who owns...lets say houser... how did he learn what he knows to build all the things he builds and what majors did he take?

Bill Fuller
08-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Why don't you call and ask him?

fasterz
08-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Why don't you call and ask him?
I email john houser but i would like some of your guy input also

Allen
08-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Irregardless Mechanical Engineering is a good way to go. I have a ME and classroom work is by far the easiest of all the Engineering disciplines and I am definetely about as sharp as a bowling and work is easy to find. Civil is probably the easiest to find a job but Mechanical is not far behind.

Good Luck!!!

Quad18star
08-04-2004, 05:55 AM
It is easy to find a job in the Civil Field .... I graduated with a Civil Engineering degree , but it was no easy walk through the park to get it . You can basically go to any construction firm and receive a job . Be prepared to do a LOT of math work in any Engineering program that you take . Best bet is to talk with guys that have taken mechanical engineering and ask how they liked it , but you're also gunna have to find out for yourself if you like the program at all . I hated my Engineering program .... standing out in the freezing cold trying to run numbers and put plans together just wasn't for me .... but some guys love it !!!!

Tommy 17
08-04-2004, 07:20 AM
i'll be startin Mechanical Engineer classes in 3 1/2 weeks at penn state... its no joke i can tell already just by my classes...

the math classes u have to take are extremely hard... if u can't do calc in highschool ur gonna have a ruff time in a engineering class...

now u can go as a mechanical engineering tech that is eaiser and does more lab style classes but in the end ur pay isnt' as high and u work under the engineer...

fasterz
08-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
i'll be startin Mechanical Engineer classes in 3 1/2 weeks at penn state... its no joke i can tell already just by my classes...

the math classes u have to take are extremely hard... if u can't do calc in highschool ur gonna have a ruff time in a engineering class...

now u can go as a mechanical engineering tech that is eaiser and does more lab style classes but in the end ur pay isnt' as high and u work under the engineer...

are you going to main campus, i was thinking about going to penn state altoona becuase the main campus is just to big for me i think.

ridesa02400EX
08-04-2004, 12:34 PM
imgonna go to wyotech for chassis fab and high performance engines im startin my senior year this year to

67z400
08-04-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm currently a junior studyin industiral engineering, its somthing different. It has a little of every engineering discipline in it, but it mostly concentrated with process, design, time, money, and work efficiency. Everyone is right, be prepared for a lot of math, I am one class away from a math minor. My hardest part of college was figuring out what I wanted to do. My best advice is to talk to as many professors and students in a certain field and get as much information as you can. Its pretty scary thinking what ever you do now is going to shape the rest of your life. good luck

wilkin250r
08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
You'll also want a little metallurgical background as well. Chassis material is just as important as the chassis design when determining strength and weight.

Tommy 17
08-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
are you going to main campus, i was thinking about going to penn state altoona becuase the main campus is just to big for me i think.

altoona for 2 years then main for 2 +

if u ever go on a visit to altoona this year let me know...

where u from and also if u plannin on goin to altoona let me know... theres a few things that are good to know about the place that i can tell ya...

fasterz
08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
altoona for 2 years then main for 2 +

if u ever go on a visit to altoona this year let me know...

where u from and also if u plannin on goin to altoona let me know... theres a few things that are good to know about the place that i can tell ya...

I think my visit is this coming monday, whats it like there? any good/ bad things you wanna tell me? thanks alot

Tommy 17
08-04-2004, 09:22 PM
i don't start school till the 28th...

heres some advice about penn state that most people don't know about...

1/3 of incoming freshman get houses... soon as u get into school apply to penn state... the day u get in send in ur money for housing reservation or u won't get into a dorm!!!! i have 3 friends that applied and coudln't get housing...

also if u apply early like me u'll get in the dorm called spruce... spruce has ur own bathroom for 4 people (maple and oak u share a bathroom with 100 people... not cool)

also just be prepared for high costs because penn states tuition, housing, food all cost more then other colleges...

if u want to go as a engineer u'll go to psua for 2 years and then main for the rest... if u become a engineering tech u'll go there all 4+ years...

btw what part of pa are u from???? and if u have any questions about the place just let me know i'll try to answer them for ya...