PDA

View Full Version : Who here is in the Military?

crookedeyemoto-x
08-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, who is in the military or was? I myself just got out of Military Police School and am in the National Guard.

Cole Trane
08-04-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm in the Air Force at Kirtland AFB. Work on C-130's (avionics), been in since Feb '99, getting out in Feb '05.

Runnin Dumb
08-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Prior Air Force, KY Air Nation Guard---Retired with 34 1/2 yrs. this passed March 04 :D Last aircraft worked, C-130H (AERO Repair shop) I worked full time for the Guard. Sure got ta see a whole lot of the world, if I wanted to or not in some cases.

diesel-mech
08-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Uncle
Sams
Misguilded
Children
:devil:

Ericthered rdr
08-04-2004, 06:39 AM
I did 6 years in the Airforce. I was a C-5 crew chief at Dover AFB. I got out in '97. I wish I never left the AF. It was a great job, but no money.

blu89ford
08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
my best friend is a Marine, i know 2 retired SEALS, and a friend is a retired Ranger i have been interrestred in the Rangers for over a year now , i may be joining the Army after YTI in the fall

Smoker
08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
6 years in the Corps', I was happy to finally be free. I'll never regret doing it though. I paid my price for freedom, I think everyone should. :p

diesel-mech
08-04-2004, 11:10 PM
I don't regret it at all! Iv'e been to more countries and seen more stuff than most people evr will. I've been to austrailia twice and would love to go back. Any young single guys out there should really consider going there. Perth or Fremantle. Not and ugly woman to be found. The ratio is like 8 or 9 woman to every guy! No joke!

Cole Trane
08-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
I don't regret it at all! Iv'e been to more countries and seen more stuff than most people evr will. I've been to austrailia twice and would love to go back. Any young single guys out there should really consider going there. Perth or Fremantle. Not and ugly woman to be found. The ratio is like 8 or 9 woman to every guy! No joke!

They love Americans too!!!:D :D

TRXMaddness
08-05-2004, 09:46 AM
United States Navy here. 12 years this coming March and I don't regret one day of it. Work with F/A-18C and soon will be working with the Super Hornet the F/A-18E.

JDiablo
08-05-2004, 10:03 AM
i have a question though,when they say like "we have to move north 5 clicks" how long is one click?i always wanted to know that:confused:

theozman82
08-05-2004, 11:45 AM
I am in the US ARMY and have been for 4 years now i am a uh-60 crewcheif sometimes the military is a pain is the ***** but you get used to it I dont regret any day that i have been in it is a blast doing what i do and the average person who is not is really show how much the are glad for what you do:macho

F-16Guy
08-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Four years AD Air Force at Luke AFB, AZ., and now on my third year as an ART (Air Reserve Technician). I've worked F-16 fuel systems my whole career. Now, as an ART, I work as a civilian federal employee maintaining the aircraft during the week, and one weekend a month when the traditional Reservists come in, I put my uniform on and train them. It's a great job. You get the better pay and benefits of being a federal employee, while still getting to go TDY and working towards a military retirement. Probably the best part is that once a year I get to double-dip. My federal job gives me two weeks of free, paid "military" leave so I can do my two week annual tour. I get my military pay check, per diem, and my civilian pay, plus what basically amounts to a paid vacation (last time we went to Hawaii to fly against their Guard unit).

diesel-mech
08-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
i have a question though,when they say like "we have to move north 5 clicks" how long is one click?i always wanted to know that:confused:

100meters

batgeek
08-06-2004, 02:35 AM
actually a "klik" is a kilometer, which equals 1000 meters :D roughly 6/10 of a mile.

oh and yeah, 7 years USN.

electronics technician - served on 1 ship(USS Long Beach), 1 comm station(NCTAMS), and Special Warfare(SPECWARDEVGRU).

diesel-mech
08-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by batgeek
actually a "klik" is a kilometer, which equals 1000 meters :D roughly 6/10 of a mile.

oh and yeah, 7 years USN.

electronics technician - served on 1 ship(USS Long Beach), 1 comm station(NCTAMS), and Special Warfare(SPECWARDEVGRU).

Yup your right. Funny but I knew that and still answered wrong.LOL

tryken
08-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Well if you are an MP, get ready to deploy. I am an MP in the Arkansas National Guard. I am writing this from Iraq. This is my second deployment in three years. Sorry if I am depressing you but just a fair warning. If you do deploy make the best of it. It is a great oppurtunity to save money. I just bought a brand new Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 4WD with a Duramax and an Allison Tranny thanks to the money I am making in a combat zone. Although I would be happy to drive a beat up s-10 if I could be home with my family.

theozman82
08-06-2004, 03:00 PM
I know how you feel i just got back in june from my third tour in three and a half years. If you just make the best of it, its not to bad. The worst part is the first day when you leave you family

schmitthead
08-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Im currently in the USN, 5 years now. I am an AT or avionics electronic technician. I am deploying to Sicily in Dec.

stephiesjeffy
08-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey guys whats going on? I have been in the Marines now for 12 years and still live eat breath the Corps. There is nothing better I can think of that I could have done with my life. My father did 35 my Grandfather did 31 my wife did 4 and I am going to take it for as long as I can. In todays economy alot of people lost everything. In the military you won't unless you do something stupid and get busted down. But we are all Marines in my family sometimes my 4 year old daughter tells her mother and I she wants to be a Marine. I have been around the world 7 times been to countless countries now how many other people on the street can say that. For anyone who wants to join or is thinking about it do it. Don't let whats going on destroy your plans in going in. Your parents might not like it but they got to cut the cord sometime. But talk to them about it and take a look at your life first and see whats going on in your life and see if you are going to be going anywhere with it. Look at your friends closely and figure out what they are going to be doing and if you want to do nothing with them. There is something for everyone in the military. And if you don't think the military is for you get out it is only four years and trust me EVERYONE here will tell you the time goes by quick. ask anyone so if you have been thinking about it talk to your recruiter and see what you can do.

Chef
08-08-2004, 01:48 AM

Holy hell!! I know where I'm goin for my senior trip!! :eek:

K2Snow
08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Ericthered rdr
I did 6 years in the Airforce. I was a C-5 crew chief at Dover AFB. I got out in '97. I wish I never left the AF. It was a great job, but no money.

Ah Dover AFB, lived in Dover, DE for 16 years. Definitely an abundance of C-5s.

mud390
08-08-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm in the Air Force. I've been in for just over 4 1/2 years. I work C-130 avionics at Little Rock AFB.

Kris

diesel-mech
08-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I've heard rumors that the airforce was thinking of joining the military:devil: :blah: :devil:

Cole Trane
08-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I've heard rumors that the airforce was thinking of joining the military:devil: :blah: :devil:

JEALOUS :blah: :blah:

diesel-mech
08-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider2002
JEALOUS :blah: :blah:

IMO thats what makes marines as tough as they are. Doing without. I have friends that were rangers and seal. They told me its tough but they also said I would have made it through. So there for I don't consider them any tougher than I am. The toughest branch of the military IMO is the coast guard! I am a great swimmer and I literally thought I was going to drown on level 2 swim qualifications in the marines. I know for a fact that the Coast Guard and the navy's search & rescue is much harder than that. One particular friend of mine came out of the coast guard into the navy and went to seal training. He said the coast guard swim qualification was much harder than seal training. I have more respect for coast guard training than any other branch of military. I can shoot, I can fight, I can work unGoddly hours without sleep, and I'm not afraid to die but I doubt I could fight the ocean and win. They can and they proove it!

\ P.S. I love playing the "who's better game" even when we all know the marines kick ***!:blah:

mud390
08-08-2004, 08:45 PM
I think its funny when people start pitting one branch against another. Of couse, the branch you are in is the best. I'm glad I'm in the Air Force and I love what I do, just like I'm sure you are glad you are in the Marines and love what you do. Its like anything though, we'll all bicker back and forth until we have to work together, then all that doesn't matter. I have respect for all branches and what they do.

Kris

diesel-mech
08-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by mud390
I think its funny when people start pitting one branch against another. Of couse, the branch you are in is the best. I'm glad I'm in the Air Force and I love what I do, just like I'm sure you are glad you are in the Marines and love what you do. Its like anything though, we'll all bicker back and forth until we have to work together, then all that doesn't matter. I have respect for all branches and what they do.

Kris

I like picking on the navy:blah: Only marines can pick on the navy though. If a soldier downs the navy in front of a marine the marine is obligated to brake his legs!:devil: Basically because the marines are part of the navy.
And please don't miss understand me! I truely beleave that anyone in any branch deserves a lot of respect!!!! I just hold the coast guard alittle higher because I know they have to go through training that I'm sure I couldn't do.;)

Just out of curiousity what is your stance on woman in the military?

mud390
08-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Just out of curiousity what is your stance on woman in the military?

Thats a big can of worms for some people. I personally don't have any problems with it. I work next to women on a daily basis in my job and it has never caused any kinds of conflicts or problems personally or on a shop level. I understand the reasoning behind restricting certain jobs from women, but I've had conversations with women in, and not in, the military about it and most of them tend to agree with the restrictions.

As far as picking on the Navy, y'all do that enough for all the branches. I work with a prior service Navy guy, and he has interesting stories to tell. We all give him hell though.

Kris

diesel-mech
08-08-2004, 09:21 PM
I was just wondering. I personally think that the marines are affraid of woman. If you are on a board for promotion and a woman is also triing to get the promotion you just lost! They are so scared that woman will file a sexual harassment charge that they won't risk it. The sad thing is they do!! I have seen it time and time again woman in the marines scream sexual harassment and ruin someones career just to get what they want! also the last deployment I went out on I was on the USS Comstock. 47 woman started off on the ship and when we returned we had 8 woman. The rest were pergnant or got caught having sex(some with other girls:eek2: ) Most woman are bad news in the military, they want to be treated like a man but when you try they think your not being fair and get even by riuning your career! Just because they know they can.

Sorry if I offend anyone ladies out there but I speak the truth. If it didn't happen I would say it!

mud390
08-08-2004, 09:25 PM
Sadly enough, I've seen the same thing too. Not near as extreme as what you described, but I've seen it. Its really sad when you think about it.

Kris