PDA

View Full Version : Port and Polish

Ryan
08-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Im not to formiliar with this, but I would like to know if its worth the money. Anyone have a estimate price?

And is there a noticable power increase?

Thanks in advance.

hart
08-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I honestly feel its worth the money , but to notice the effects of the porting you really have to do other things like cam , high comp piston and so on to get the full effect , it also depends on what kind of job , they do when they port it, how radical they chage the port size., if ya need any more info id be glad to try n help!

Ryan
08-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info..

Do you know an estimated price of how much this would cost?

Im also looking into a larger carburator (39fcr) , also.

My engine mods are:

416 kit
JE 10.8:1 piston
Stage 1 hotcam
4 holes in airbox

Thats all I can remember for now. Im a little disapointed with the power. Isn't doesn't come on as hard as I would like it..... Maybe a stage 2 hotcam will fix this a bit?

Thanks in advance.

bradley300
08-11-2004, 10:40 AM
depends on what you want really, porting can change your powerband quite a bit iof you want it to, the biggest thing is telling your builder what you want out of it, it can be ported to be very smooth, or hit real hard or whatever. talk to laz at gthunder, i'm sure he can do whatever you want and his prices are great. his number is on his website

www.gthunder.com

Ryan
08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
depends on what you want really, porting can change your powerband quite a bit iof you want it to, the biggest thing is telling your builder what you want out of it, it can be ported to be very smooth, or hit real hard or whatever. talk to laz at gthunder, i'm sure he can do whatever you want and his prices are great. his number is on his website

www.gthunder.com

Thanks for the info. I plan on doing this all in September when I rip the hole thing apart.

I'll call Laz when I got the green.

400-416EX
08-11-2004, 12:22 PM
I just got my motor done and the port and polish cost me about 600-650. And now my motor kicks *****. I would recomend it

Ryan
08-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 400-416EX
I just got my motor done and the port and polish cost me about 600-650. And now my motor kicks *****. I would recomend it

600-650? Im not gonna spend that much for it.

Thump_It
08-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Call Sparks Racing and ask them how much it would cost. I talked to them yesterday and they said it would be $450 to port and polish my R. [www.sparksracing.com (661) 872-4343]

beak7707
08-11-2004, 09:13 PM
I think you can find many quaility places to do it well under 650. I say around 400-500 you can get hooked up.

JIMTED79
08-11-2004, 09:33 PM
LOOKING AT YOUR MODS TO YOUR BIKE SO FAR YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE EXHAUST. YOU NEED TO INVEST IN A HOLE EXHAUST SYSTEM BE FOR YOU PORT. DITCH THE STOCK AIR FILTER FOR A K&N TO, THEN PORT. THEN ONCE YOU GET ALL THAT DONE YOU'LL WANT A 450R TO KEEP UP. :D

JOEX
08-11-2004, 09:43 PM
I think the quotes here are for a full race port. A 'clean up' port should be much less.

JDiablo
08-11-2004, 09:44 PM
^^^ thats true,that stock pipe is holding back all of the exhaust gases and isn't breathing good enough,get a pipe if you don't have one then watch how much power you will get

Gordons Well
08-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Most riders get a port and polish job to compliment the rest of their engine mods like a piston, a cam, an exhaust system and filter. If you bring the head to your mechanic it will be a lot cheaper than dropping off the whole quad and having him tear it down and put it back together.
Hope this helps.
TC426EX?

08-12-2004, 07:45 AM
I had a cleanup/XC port done on my 400ex by GT thunder and it was less than $100.

Full race ports are more expensive and need much more motor work to compliment them..

Ryan
08-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the great info!

Originally posted by JIMTED79
LOOKING AT YOUR MODS TO YOUR BIKE SO FAR YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE EXHAUST. YOU NEED TO INVEST IN A HOLE EXHAUST SYSTEM BE FOR YOU PORT. DITCH THE STOCK AIR FILTER FOR A K&N TO, THEN PORT. THEN ONCE YOU GET ALL THAT DONE YOU'LL WANT A 450R TO KEEP UP. :D

I actually do have a K@N Filter. As for the exhuast system, I only have the DG slip on. Is it worth shelling out the extra money for the head pipe?

JDiablo
08-12-2004, 09:33 PM
its worth shelling out the extra money for a better pipe then a DG though:o JMO

hart
08-14-2004, 04:50 AM
yeah my port and polish was done in sackville, nova scotia ,by a company called lind racing , its cost me 450 canadian,awsome job they did!but get rid of the dg, to find more power get a full pipe header and silencer, yoshmuria , ct ,fmf,ect ect ect, dont go cheep n mechanical parts because it will bite ya in the *** when ya least expect it too haha

hart
08-14-2004, 05:00 AM
IF u really want it to hit crazy Get NOS,!!!!!! haha but seriously maby go up to a 426, that way u dont have to resleve the cyclender,um also the stage 2 hot cam will help,that carb will also get ya movin, but on http://www.ctracing.com/trx400ex1.htm, they have a kit that will produce 39 hp which isnt bad :D ,if ur willin to spend the money ,or just by the parts and do most of it urself,except the macheining of course, u should be haulin then !!

fastkid400
08-14-2004, 09:34 AM
if u had an air compresser, di grinder, and a port and polish kit, and u can do it urself, thats what we are gunna do to mine. or find someone close to you with one to use for a day. much cheaper the $450:eek2:

Ryan
08-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by fastkid400
if u had an air compresser, di grinder, and a port and polish kit, and u can do it urself, thats what we are gunna do to mine. or find someone close to you with one to use for a day. much cheaper the $450:eek2:

I'll have to ask my friend. Im pretty sure he has all that equipment since he does car motors.

Florida400EX
08-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by fastkid400

Theres more then just grinding away metal.

tinner
08-15-2004, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't bother with the port job, unless you decide to ditch the pipe and go with a company that flows better. The DG is probably fine for a bike that's otherwise absolutely stock.
I had a FMF Hi-flo on mine, then I ordered the HMF complete system...the primary pipes are 3/8" large than that FMF. The new pipe has definitely complimented my Porting. I also recommend GT Thunder for doing the work.