PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about little sahara

67z400
08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Well, in the middle of september i'm going to little sahara with a bunch of my buddies and I want to be well prepared since it is 9 hours away from home.

1. how is camping down there? I'm arriving early thursday morning. Is it okay to arrive at 4 in the morning. Do I have to make reservations and are there usually spots open, (hopefully there should be since we are getting there thurs morn).

2. Is the weather okay during the middle of sep. ? I just hope it isn't too hot

3. How is the authority? Rangers are good, but it sucks when the come by every 15 minutes to tell you to turn down your radio or say that campfire is too big.

Are there any dos and don'ts that I should know while down there. I plan on bringing plenty of food, water, extra clothes, tools, tires, air, and bike parts. Tell me anything I need to know about this place.

zephead400ex
08-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Are you talking about LS, OK.? If so, check out this thread. Might also check out the Dune forum.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98276

Peace

PHIL_B54
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
if anything, i think the rangers are too relaxed. this spring, some jack balls stayed up till 3am shooting fireworks and scattering trash all over the place. the rangers stopped by and the guys said they werent doing anything.....they were the only ones in the area awake :mad:

anyway, its a good time...be smart riding, and respectful of those around you

roostin_dale
08-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Camping is fun down there...or there is a motel in Waynoka. Parts aren't a big issue, there are lots of shops around.

If you dont have paddle tires, they help alot, and make it more fun.

Watch out for rattle snakes and scorpians, we had a scorpian in our motel room once.:eek2: It was dead though.

All in all, its a fun place and i have a blast everytime i go.

Fender Bender
08-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Park rangers will get you for speeding down their road, keep it in a low gear and go under 10 or 15, I can't remember exactly what it is... It is fine to get there whenever you want, but if you are camping you have to check in. There is a gas station with GOOD food there, in riding distance. When we go, we normally take a trip down there a month in advance to reserve a spot, but if you are too far a way this may be an inconveniance for you. I would call before you leave to check on open spots. The weather could be anywhere between 70-90, there just isn't any knowing in Oklahoma. So far we have had a really cool summer though, today and a few other days have been the hottest, we actually got into the 90's, so the weather should be fine.

Have fun and ride safe! :cool:

roostin_dale
08-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey fender bender...im trying to get a group of guys to go down in mid November. How is the weather down there then?

Fender Bender
08-03-2004, 04:04 PM
it could be anywhere from low 50's to high 70's...my guess is it will be in the 60 range. A few years back we went on Thanksgiving weekend and it was mid 50's the first day, and got warm enough the second day for short sleeves, I'm going to say about 65-67, and remained nice the last two days. Nights are a different story, I hope you have an RV!

roostin_dale
08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
ohh chilly? How about September or October?

Fender Bender
08-03-2004, 04:13 PM
You would probably be looking more into the 70's range then. But like I said, in Oklahoma it can snow one day and be 76* outside the next. (really happened)

I think next spring me and Donnie are going to try to make midwest sandfest, I haven't talked to him about it much but I am about 75% sure he will come down. If Brett (eviljester) can talk his dad into it, he will probably go too. Maybe a few more of us can meet up down there and ride.

Later :cool:

Chef
08-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
You would probably be looking more into the 70's range then. But like I said, in Oklahoma it can snow one day and be 76* outside the next. (really happened)

I think next spring me and Donnie are going to try to make midwest sandfest, I haven't talked to him about it much but I am about 75% sure he will come down. If Brett (eviljester) can talk his dad into it, he will probably go too. Maybe a few more of us can meet up down there and ride.

Later :cool:

Think a +8, wheely bar, and ultralights will do it? :eek:

Fender Bender
08-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Hell yeah dude! I'm going to ride that SOB all weekend man. Bring one of your other showcase peices, lol.