PDA

View Full Version : taking off out of the gates?

1badex
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
when you start a race, what is your steps to take off out the gates?what gear 1st or 2nd?do you lean foward? sit down or stand up?these type of things.

SHOCKER
08-03-2004, 04:03 PM
well if there is gates and its all flat pretty much always come out in 2nd, i lean forward i dont sit farther forward i lean and thats it, just a quick shift into 3rd and im out

Tommy 17
08-03-2004, 04:14 PM
i usually start in 1st and lean up and towards the front... sorta with ur chin right over the bars and ur elbows at 90 degrees...

then in one motion i shift to 2nd gear and slide the whole way back on the seat till my arms are at full straight and i'm gettin max traction...

seems to work for me i don't loose many drag races:devil:

team_450_88
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
I think If you can take off in 2nd and your taking off in 1st your messing up!! I own a 450r and I havent got the motor sent off to get worked yet so for now im stuck with taking off in 1st because on the 450r 2nd boggs down...The gates are the most important part of a race well expecially if its a small type track..I put the quad in 2nd lean forward so the rear tires will spin and not catch grip and wheelie and then when i hit third i let me butt slide towards the back of the quad so u start catching more traction because unless u got a really powerful quad ur not gonna wheelie in 3rd unless ur doing it on purpose and then when u come to the first turn downshift to whatever gear u need to and move to the front of the quad so there isnt much weight on the rear tires so u can spin the quad around alot easier...Thats just me technique !! :devil:

KY Woods Rider
08-03-2004, 05:28 PM
There's a ton of variables... is it my quad or someone else's that I'm not used to, how's the quad geared, what's the power curve like, how's the traction, is the start level, etc, etc, etc.

However, assuming I'm on my quad in it's current set-up, the traction is good, and the start is level and smooth...
1 - I start in first gear due to the gearing of my quad. It's set up for the woods running 15/38 and 20's, so the gearing is pretty tall. I can pull a start in second but the RPM drops too much to suit me.
2 - Sit on the slope at the front of the seat, lean forward with my chest over the bars. I couldn't tell you what RPM I leave at, but I know it when I hear it.
3 - Gate drops and I release the clutch quickly but smoothly while also quickly but smoothly going to full throttle.
4 - About the time I feel my rear wheels start over the gate I shift to second and move my body back to a more natural position.
5 - As I'm nearing the upper RPM in second I slide back on the seat until my butt is directly over the rear tires (being tall makes this easier).
6 - I try to make all shifts at the exact moment the motor gets to it's peak HP (not peak RPM, over-revving slows you down).

racergurl99
08-03-2004, 08:38 PM
all those are about right! i always start in 2nd and lean foward on my gas tank, it usually works!!!:D

BlueZ440
08-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Second gear and half throttle. Lean forward not to much and when you take off hit the back of the seat. You should be in 3rd by the time you get to the back of the seat.

YamahaChick_722
08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
yeah i always start off in 2ed gear and lean forward so my chin is just over the handle bars then i put it almost full trottle when the gate drops u go for the holeshot and switch gears as soon as u feel your back tires go over the gate then when u make it close to the frist corner u shift down and go from there. any ways thats the way i do it.
hope it works for u.

Berry
08-04-2004, 03:48 PM
depends on your traction. if your getting lots of traction than lean up really far with your elbows bent. just stay focused on the card until it goes sideways, then look at the gate, dont stare at it, look over it. that sounds stupid but your reflex is faster that way. then when your past the gate and you know your not going to whellie, just lean back far on the seat for traction.

oh yea and remeber this saying, wide open....

redroost85
08-04-2004, 05:33 PM
For me I do it like this.

Second gear, throttle almost pegged, head over the bars, butt back a bit. Gate drops....mash the effer! Then I slowly (this is a relative term here, lol) move my butt further back all the while I am power shifting into the first turn.:)

smith_400ex_213
08-05-2004, 09:47 PM
i use my front brake while the cards r u....brings the back end of the bike up a little putting more weight on the frotn end help to keep it down... before the gate drops i let hte clutch out jsut were its about to grab adn go...i start in second not sure how much throttle...how ever much feels right...practice start everyday..i did that for about a week...my starts have noticeably been improving

CTmxyfz
08-06-2004, 06:44 AM
i don't believe being all bent and hunched over helps with anything in the holeshot. i start in 2nd, sit my arse as far up on the tank as possible, sit straight up and once i hit the dirt out of the gate, i hit third and throw my butt to the back of the quad.

PEPwalshZ440
08-06-2004, 07:24 AM
i lean forward till i run over the gate piece, then i get a little further back and lean back...and i start off in 2nd.

1badex
08-06-2004, 07:27 AM
thanx for the feedback guys (and girl)