PDA

View Full Version : What kind of A-arm bushings

400exdad
08-03-2004, 12:19 PM
The 300EX finally got loose in the front end, so it was time to replace the a-arm bushings. I looked around and decided on somebody in the back Dirtwheels, at spent a fraction of what factory ones would cost. I bought the bushings, and removed all 8 of the stock bushings.... even took pics to do a show and tell here at EXRiders! But then it went south. The bushings were just about as loose as the ones I took out and after just a few rides, it is worse than it was. Now, I'm suprised he (MadMatt300EX) can even hold it on the trails (due to all the slop) and I've GOT to do something about it.

What bushings do everyone use on their a-arms? For the price of the good ones, from whatever that companies name is... the name escapes me now.... :huh I could spend a bit more and buy complete a-arms.... the ball joints in the factory ones won't last forever! :macho

K_Fulk
08-03-2004, 02:05 PM
http://www.atvbushings.com/atvbushings/index.html

Dave400ex
08-03-2004, 02:49 PM
I like the Pivot Works kits. You might be better off just getting new stock a-arms though.

KY Woods Rider
08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
I have TM Designworks in my 400. For the most part I've been happy since I got them, but there have been a couple little quirks.

The good news is that they definitely tightened everything up, made the quad handle more precisely, and have lasted since early '99 (my stockers lasted maybe 6mos :rolleyes: ).

However, they fit extremely tight on the pivot collars and this has caused two slight concerns. One time I got a little oil on my a-arm mounting brackets, then a couple rides later I started hearing a loud squeaking. I rode back to the house and found that the oil had gotten around where the pivot collars are against the a-arm mounting brackets, and the bushings fit around the pivot collars so tight that the oil had caused the pivot collars to start turning against the mounting bracket instead of allowing the bushing to turn around them. So, I removed the a-arms, cleaned out the oily stuff and re-installed, so far so good and that's been over a year ago. Also, the tight fit makes the front suspension just a bit stiffer. I can't tell it while I'm riding (I wish they would make it stiffer while riding), but when you push down on the front-end you can feel some extra drag from the tight fit of the bushings.

As for the price, yes, they are expensive, but the decision of whether or not they're worth it is up to you.

400exdad
08-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys! I've used the Helm bushings before with some success in the shocks.... not great. but some success.. :rolleyes: They at least fit well. I may give them a try. Pivot Works was the name I was looking for in my earlier post. Kind of expensive, but probably worth it. KY Woods, squeaks are terrible! Thats almost worse than slop! I'll take a look at the TM Designworks too.