PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vs. the newer stuff

Drtridr18
04-03-2002, 04:28 PM
I love my 400ex. Perfect blend of everything it seems like. Like it more than my friend's raptor, although the horsepower would be nice.

My silly question is; how many of you would keep your 400's instead of trading up to a new suzuki, cannondale or the new honda(whatever it will be; and very tempting)?

My 2001 so far has the basic stuff, Yosh. slip-on with K&N Power kit, twist throttle. Impressive to me and my friends with 400's and raptors. Thinking about some holeshots or razr's soon, and a degree key, some new bars and guards also. Gonna hold off for now on motor or suspension mods till i think a good enough rider to deserve them. I can ride well enough, but would rather be ready to harness big power...know what i mean??

I am satisfied with what I have-and it was paid for with cash, but more is always better. Blow some cabbage on mine in time, or save it and work it with a trade-in? On the other hand, I could think of a lot better things I could do with the money it would cost to trade up. Ahhh life's greatest dilemmas!

Anyone else out there think like me?? haha thanks for opinions.

honda400exrider
04-03-2002, 05:06 PM
i would trade mine for the 11k dollar cannondale. then i would sell that, get another brand new 400 with complete aftermarket chasis, motor, probaly get nos and still have $ left over.:D

mopar 400
04-03-2002, 06:03 PM
I would trade mine straight across for the new crf450, whenever it comes out!!!!! I love my 400 as much as the next guy, but if the crf450 motor is as strong as I hear, then that quad will rock... Just as long as they keep some of the great handling charachteristics of the 400ex.

9300EX
04-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Ditto on the CRF450R with handling

RAPTORAZ
04-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Forget the CRF. I want a TRX650EX. No replacement for displacement. The only place I like my Raptor over my EX is the dunes. That's where the extra cubic inches and the added torque would be nice.

doctor_915
04-03-2002, 08:18 PM
For some reason I dont think the 450 is gonna come out in a quad at least not for a year and a half, so does anyone know where to get a wrecked 450 bike? Those engines are pretty damm sweet, I wonder how they will respond to big bore kits, etc. etc. cant wait to find out.

VegasEx'r
04-03-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by doctor_915
For some reason I dont think the 450 is gonna come out in a quad at least not for a year and a half, so does anyone know where to get a wrecked 450 bike? Those engines are pretty damm sweet, I wonder how they will respond to big bore kits, etc. etc. cant wait to find out.

I hope you're wrong, but Honda does seem to be dragging their feet. I am waiting for the 450, but if Honda waits too long, I may have yo buy the new Suzuki (or Kawasaki, since ity looks like they are coming out with the identical quad, only with different color plastic) or a Cannondale.

04-03-2002, 10:41 PM
i can't wait for the lrd aluminum frame to come out for the 400ex..i'm gonna call to see how much it's gonna be tomorrow. i am also thinking a trx250r frame with a kx250 or tecate 250 motor would be bad ***..i'm looking for a tecate motor right now but not much luck.