PDA

View Full Version : steering problem HELP

04-03-2002, 04:17 PM
When i steer one wheel turn farther than the other on my 400ex. it seems to hit the stop on the frame later on the left side and its seems to fold back. It goe so far that the tie rod bar thing hits the shock. Please any recommendations would help or any othe imfo.

9300EX
04-03-2002, 06:37 PM
without lookin at it I would say ya bent something.or maybe something is about to come apart

04-04-2002, 05:45 AM
it seems like thebar thing is to short but it isnt bent and it is stock. Nothing seems to be bent!

04-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Turning your wheels to one side or the other will make one wheel look as though it's turning more than the other,,,cars do the same thing. Is something actually touching when you turn the wheels???

exriderdude
04-04-2002, 09:06 AM
are your tie rods loose, mine came loose at the bottom of my stem and when i turned one wheel went farther because it was still tight. your tie rod might be bangin into your stem

04-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Rico the tie rod nevel seems to hit the stop when it hits the frame steering stop. it never really slamms into the stop, instead it gently hits it and the tie rod starts to move closer to the bottom shock bolt and it eventualy hits it. there apears to be nothing wrong with it.

i think wat causethis to happen was the time when i was slowly crossing a log that i couldnt hit strait because off many others obsticles and the whel turn all the to the left. from thn on it waas never right

04-04-2002, 09:22 PM
when i turn the wheels it feels like the compresion of a piston. when u gett to the normal stoping area it gets stiffer like compresion and then it goes beyond its norm and goes back.

it almost seems like the tie rod is to short because it hits the stop but it seems to hit to late so it is allowed to go farther. everything is tight and all the alignments are perfect.

04-28-2002, 05:50 PM
straighten the steering from the front kneeling down and looking at the bottom of the steering stem where the tie rods connect.Make sure stem is straight and steering stops are of equal distance from chassis stops and you can barely see ends of tie rods connecting to steering stem from the front.Once you have done this stand up and look at your handlebars and see where they are positioned,if there out of wack chances are you twisted the steering stem.I just did this to mine,I'm curious if this is a 400ex problem,I've been seeing this a lot lately.

mental1
04-28-2002, 09:53 PM
If the stem is stock it's probably bent mine was when I bought it real good to, it's bent back about half an inch and down alittle on the right side so I the first thing I got to buy was new stem.