PDA

View Full Version : How do you all do it??????

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 12:41 AM
I cant relax for NOTHING when its time to line up... I get so much adrenaline going threw me that my hands start to tingle, I feel sick to my gut like Im gonna puke:o Sometimes I feel like Im a little light headed fro mall the Anxiety..(no blonde jokes please!!!!)....:p I try to take slow deep breaths and chill. but it doesnt work.....Just wondering how you all get relaxed before a race????? Sometimes it really kiils my endurance and worsens my Hand Fatigue....

08-03-2004, 07:58 AM
The day you relax is the day you start slowing down!!!!! jmo.

Pappy
08-03-2004, 08:01 AM
ive had my best races when my old lady gives me a rub down before the race and she does my arms on the line. takes me to another place mentally and im very relaxed.

YZEATER
08-03-2004, 08:07 AM
race a motocross race then the anxiety you feel from flattrack will seem less.

cdalejef
08-03-2004, 08:09 AM
Have you ever seen the movie Something About Mary? ;)

Pappy
08-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Have you ever seen the movie Something About Mary? ;)

and all this time i thought you where praying or something:eek:

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by YZEATER
race a motocross race then the anxiety you feel from flattrack will seem less. I have raced MX ....Still get the same way.......:huh

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Have you ever seen the movie Something About Mary? ;) yes......lol...why,what seen are you referring to???

YLW400
08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
I am getting to the point where I don't get that anymore....kinda makes me wonder if I should even be racing:(

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
ive had my best races when my old lady gives me a rub down before the race and she does my arms on the line. takes me to another place mentally and im very relaxed. I bet it does........:devil: Being Troy races right after me, I doubt a rub down will be in order......:(

cdalejef
08-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
yes......lol...why,what seen are you referring to??? Its like being nervous on a date ;)

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Its like being nervous on a date ;) ;)

Florida400EX
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
Good technique I use to help stop the stomache tingling is to talk to the person lined up next to me. I like to keep the adrenaline flowin though! Just keep yourself occupied until the 30 second card goes up!

OuttaContrlRacn
08-03-2004, 11:11 AM
I have been racing for almost 2 years now
my 1st race i threw up while i was racing
right when the gate drops its gone because ur not thing about it
now when im up on the line im very relaxed even when im racing and it makes you more smooth your not going all over the place
the more you race the more that feeling just kinda drifts away

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by OuttaContrlRacn
I have been racing for almost 2 years now
my 1st race i threw up while i was racing
right when the gate drops its gone because ur not thing about it
now when im up on the line im very relaxed even when im racing and it makes you more smooth your not going all over the place
the more you race the more that feeling just kinda drifts away ITs been a full year now and Im STILL feeling this way EVERY race!!!!:o :p I hope it passes soon, I race an Ave. of every other wk and in the winter every wk sometimes dbl header wk end......:)

Johnny & Monica
08-03-2004, 11:37 AM
I hit the porta potty about 6 times before hitting the line:eek2: :huh Feels like I`ve ate mexican food for days but it goes away once the card drops.Its all natarul to be nervous.

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by mikeracerx34
I hit the porta potty about 6 times before hitting the line:eek2: :huh Feels like I`ve ate mexican food for days but it goes away once the card drops.Its all natarul to be nervous. ROLF!!! I didnt want to say it but....:o And I cant drink a ton of water right before either!!!:p Ive learned Pepto is my best friend a few hours before a race.........

CTmxyfz
08-03-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't know why but my first race 2 weekends ago, i was never nervous. I just thought of it as another practice ride. I was out to have fun. I wasn't out there to beat everyone. My goal was to finish top 10. I ended up doing pretty well

Open C qualify- 3rd
Open C main- 2nd
4 stroke C qualify-2nd
4 stroke C main-7th

Open C-3rd overall with trophy
4 stroke C-6th overall but didn't bother getting the tiny trophy. Just left because i was beat.

So all in all, practice as much as you can and just think of it as another ride at your local track. Don't let anyone intimidate you either. After the mains, people in the Novice class were talking to me and they were shocked it was my first time racing.

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
I don't know why but my first race 2 weekends ago, i was never nervous. I just thought of it as another practice ride. I was out to have fun. I wasn't out there to beat everyone. My goal was to finish top 10. I ended up doing pretty well

Open C qualify- 3rd
Open C main- 2nd
4 stroke C qualify-2nd
4 stroke C main-7th

Open C-3rd overall with trophy
4 stroke C-6th overall but didn't bother getting the tiny trophy. Just left because i was beat.

So all in all, practice as much as you can and just think of it as another ride at your local track. Don't let anyone intimidate you either. After the mains, people in the Novice class were talking to me and they were shocked it was my first time racing. Congrats to you!!!!:macho
I sit and try to tell myself..."its only a race ....." and then say a quiet prayer to all the riders and to myself to be safe and to do good, I say it a few times over....Then...... I am fine once on the line, between the heat, and the Anxiety I thought I was gonna pass out last race....:(

08-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I get about 8 big snorts of Glue before I head to the line and I'm as calm as a cucumber.. I sometimes forget were I'm at but I"m relaxed...:huh

CTmxyfz
08-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Congrats to you!!!!:macho
I sit and try to tell myself..."its only a race ....." and then say a quiet prayer to all the riders and to myself to be safe and to do good, I say it a few times over....Then...... I am fine once on the line, between the heat, and the Anxiety I thought I was gonna pass out last race....:(

Thanks alot. Don't tell yourself its only a race. Just tell yourself its another day of riding. Kick the racing thing completely out of your head. Another thing, don't worry about anyone else but yourself. If you do worry about them, they will intimidate you and make you nervous. Happened to me when i raced BMX some years back. I used to be so nervous i couldn't balance the bike at the gate. I was worried about doing good, and what others thought. i finally realized that i don't care what others think, and im out there judt riding my ride and having fun. I know people who hacve taken the fun out of it and they end up getting hurt. Try that.;)

3rdtimescharm
08-03-2004, 12:45 PM
just think you out for a trail ride with all your friends, if that dont work think of cleaning your house, something to keep your mind of of it. You probably feel a little nervouse and then think of it the entire time.. its mental, just like a-arm pump

YZEATER
08-03-2004, 01:02 PM
when you stop getting that feeling it's time to quit racing.

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks alot. Don't tell yourself its only a race. Just tell yourself its another day of riding. Kick the racing thing completely out of your head. Another thing, don't worry about anyone else but yourself. If you do worry about them, they will intimidate you and make you nervous. Happened to me when i raced BMX some years back. I used to be so nervous i couldn't balance the bike at the gate. I was worried about doing good, and what others thought. i finally realized that i don't care what others think, and im out there judt riding my ride and having fun. I know people who hacve taken the fun out of it and they end up getting hurt. Try that.;) good advice. Ill tryt and block some of the racing from my thoughts before the line up .) As far as worrying about anyone else but myself is hard to do considering my kids and old man runs the same race,so I have to say prayer for them all....;)

QuadJunkies
08-03-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I get about 8 big snorts of Glue before I head to the line and I'm as calm as a cucumber.. I sometimes forget were I'm at but I"m relaxed...:huh :eek2: lol....Maybe add a muscle relaxer to the mix and see what happens.......:o I knowwhat would help take my mind off the race....But its not something I can" conviently " do at a track........ :eek: :devil:

markk
08-03-2004, 04:28 PM
I know exaclty how u feel, Somtimes even when we are pulling into the track, and i see all those ppl i get all flusterd, and my stomach feels weird also. But what helps me is talkin to the two guys/girls that im on the line beside me. And try to not think about the start,!!! Just try to focus on one thing JUST ONE!! try eating a bannanna before u go out. those are just some things that help me with XC! But u will find somthing that u will become comfortable with after a while!

KY Woods Rider
08-03-2004, 05:00 PM
I was watching an interview with Jeremy McGrath several years ago and they asked him about getting nervous when going to the line. His reply was something like (hoping I word it correctly), "If you're not nervous when you're going to the line, you're either crazy or just plain stupid."

Anyway, what helps me is to just think that I'm going to smoke everyone else and whatever they try I've got it covered. It usually doesn't work out that way (I can only wish:o), but that's what I've got on my mind the whole time I'm waiting to race and as I'm pulling up to the gate or starting line.

If you start thinking about wrecking or getting beat, you're going to get nervous before the race, and then you'll probably get arm-pump once the race begins.

If you want to get entertained, just sit around the starting line and pay attention to what everyone else does. You'll quickly see that there's a bunch of very nervous people on the starting line, because no one needs to check to make sure their gas is on 10 times before the race starts, shake their goggles out for 2 minutes before putting them on, or keep messing with their levers like they might suddenly quit working.

CTmxyfz
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
guess im crazy or dumb?

redrider9045
08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
hey man you got to get syched up like listening to rock or sumthin that always works for me

dirtmomma
08-03-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks alot. Don't tell yourself its only a race. Just tell yourself its another day of riding. Kick the racing thing completely out of your head. Another thing, don't worry about anyone else but yourself. If you do worry about them, they will intimidate you and make you nervous. Happened to me when i raced BMX some years back. I used to be so nervous i couldn't balance the bike at the gate. I was worried about doing good, and what others thought. i finally realized that i don't care what others think, and im out there judt riding my ride and having fun. I know people who hacve taken the fun out of it and they end up getting hurt. Try that.;)

I think this is what I ended up doing, seemed like every time I'd go out & say "OK I'm gonna do good" well I would just be TOO ADRENALINED then I would mess up (spin out) :grr: I'm really hoping those days are behind me LOL guess we'll see in Oct/Nov when the season starts back up & if Im racing :) Hell I don't even know what it's like to race anymore I haven't done it in so long :( Gonna try to hit a flattrack practice to at least see how the 300 does ont he track in a couple weeks!

cheetah
08-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I think a lot of it does have to do with mindset and confidence. For example when I race GNCCs I feel like half the people on the line have more experience, actual sponsors, and are just in betters shape and faster. This is my first year racing GNCC so I kind of feel like I'm not going to do that great which seems to create poor finishes. On the other hand, when I go to a local now, I have this attitude that I have nationals experience that everyone else doesn't have and I'm just going to walk away with it. There I usually have a lot better finishes. I know a lot of it is probably the level of competition, but if I could have that mindset for a GNCC I would be a lot more relaxed.

Still I don't think you ever get rid of those jitters heading to the line. To me though that's half the thrill of racing.

CTmxyfz
08-03-2004, 09:20 PM
dirt momma, i hear what your saying. But the adreaniline wasn't flowing real hard at all. I got the rush when i was out there. I guess i have learned to control myself more. I just went out there to ride. We'll see how it works sunday for me. I do like to listen to some good rock before a race though. Get the juices flowing some.

foxracingpredat
08-03-2004, 10:52 PM
just have more fun and stretch out, strecthing really seems to relax me and help my mobility while racing. Works for me

Chef
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by YZEATER
race a motocross race then the anxiety you feel from flattrack will seem less.

Ha, motocross is a piece of cake.

Tina, dont worry about relaxing...you will get used to it. I had over 100 starts last year and felt the same before every one...even before practice on some tracks. (I.E. The 90+ mph 1/2 Mile) Short Tracks aren't as bad...but it depends where I'm starting, how the heat went, and who I am starting next to. One night we added up the front row of the open class, $ wise, and in 5 bikes there was an easy $150k. The 2nd row wasnt a whole lot less, and the 3rd row wasnt anything to worry about. The races here are just a bunch of drag motors in AWESOME TT chassis. It gets pretty hairy when you have a CRF500, a YFZ4?? and a 450 Banshee 3 wide into turn one...with no one getting out of the throttle until they are in the wall.

Allen
08-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Two shots of whiskey and a couple of raw eggs does the trick for me....especially if I am racing the AM;)

QuadJunkies
08-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone......Great advice. Ill alos try the stretching a bit more also and see if it helps..;)

BlueZ440
08-04-2004, 07:49 AM
QJ I know I haven't raced a lot but my first 2 races I felt that way. I use to go out and say I'm going all out "I don't care what happens" and it didn't work. now when I race I go out there with a smile and just ride for fun. It seems to work.

redroost85
08-04-2004, 09:46 AM
I know one thing...I got to pee so many times before I race it ain't even funny.:( I guess mainly because I have been drinking Gatorade and water all day....but man, just before it's time to line up I am peeing like there's no tomorrow.:o

Of course, after I pee I feel great and am ready to go!:)

QuadJunkies
08-04-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by BlueZ440
QJ I know I haven't raced a lot but my first 2 races I felt that way. I use to go out and say I'm going all out "I don't care what happens" and it didn't work. now when I race I go out there with a smile and just ride for fun. It seems to work. WEll of course I ride for fun or I would nt be doing it!!!:blah: heck. I even all twitterpated and adrenaline when were just going riding for a day.....:o lol..... Its just amplied 10X's on a track.....

TheMachine
08-06-2004, 12:38 PM
I cant relax for NOTHING when its time to line up... I get so much adrenaline going threw me that my hands start to tingle, I feel sick to my gut like Im gonna puke:o Sometimes I feel like Im a little light headed fro mall the Anxiety..(no blonde jokes please!!!!)....:p I try to take slow deep breaths and chill. but it doesnt work.....Just wondering how you all get relaxed before a race????? Sometimes it really kiils my endurance and worsens my Hand Fatigue....

Im the same way. I get sick about an hour before the races start and i cant eat or anything because my stomach always hurts. But i guess its been working out for me. All i can do is drink water

QuadJunkies
08-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by TheMachine
Im the same way. I get sick about an hour before the races start and i cant eat or anything because my stomach always hurts. But i guess its been working out for me. All i can do is drink water I race in a few hours...... Its starting again........:( D@mn.Im gonna be a bag of nerves... I JUST KNOW IT!!!:o time to hit up the ole man for one of those Massages......:D

BlueZ440
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I race in a few hours...... Its starting again........:( D@mn.Im gonna be a bag of nerves... I JUST KNOW IT!!!:o time to hit up the ole man for one of those Massages......:D

Hey I race in a few hours 2...umm my stomach is fcked up..It's time to smoke a fat one..:D :blah:

TheMachine
08-06-2004, 04:25 PM
I race in a few hours...... Its starting again........:( D@mn....... Im gonna be a bag of nerves... I JUST KNOW IT!!!:o time to hit up the ole man for one of those Massages......:D

I race in about 4 hours and about 2 hours ago my stomach started hurting. The only thing that would keep me from being nervous is if i got too big headed and thought i had no competition, so being nervous is a good thing to me or i would have to buy a bigger helmet for my bigger head

Chef
08-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Ha, I've got all of ya beat. I race tomorrow and I have a knot in my stomache tonight. :o

dirtmomma
08-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Chef
Ha, I've got all of ya beat. I race tomorrow and I have a knot in my stomache tonight. :o

You goin to Castle Rock?? Good Luck how you doin in points?? My bros have been telling me there are some FAST quads down there!! I would like to just come watch sometime we'll have to see :)

PEPwalshZ440
08-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Just imagine like its a practice and that its just you. Just lean forward a little so then u can't see the rest of the line if you need to and just look at the track. Then just make for that corner like there's no tommorow and no1 else next to you.

QuadJunkies
08-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Ha, I've got all of ya beat. I race tomorrow and I have a knot in my stomache tonight. :o I felt better in the MAin, but my hands were tingling something fierce in the heat race!!!!:o :p good luck donnie!!!!! I took 2nd......

Chef
08-08-2004, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
You goin to Castle Rock?? Good Luck how you doin in points?? My bros have been telling me there are some FAST quads down there!! I would like to just come watch sometime we'll have to see :)

I have only raced 3 times this year. Probably not real great in points. You should come down and watch on the 21st. Its the Gene Romero national thing.

dirtmomma
08-09-2004, 01:31 PM
I have only raced 3 times this year. Probably not real great in points. You should come down and watch on the 21st. Its the Gene Romero national thing.
Yeah my bro just told me this morning about the Gene Romero race BUT we are going to the dunes hopefully that weekend!! Gonna hit Sand Lake I think, we want to go to Coos Bay but since it's just a weekend thing thats a little far to drive :( one of these days we'll make it there :)

CTmxyfz
08-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I raced yesterday and took 2nd and 3rd overall in my classes. A 2nd,2nd and 3rd,3rd finish in the two classes. I never got nervous during the qualifiers and in the mains. Just go out and have fun riding.

Chef
08-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Yeah my bro just told me this morning about the Gene Romero race BUT we are going to the dunes hopefully that weekend!! Gonna hit Sand Lake I think, we want to go to Coos Bay but since it's just a weekend thing thats a little far to drive :( one of these days we'll make it there :)

Who is your brother?

JUSTINcredible
08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
The day you relax is the day you start slowing down!!!!! jmo.

or the day you start to relax is the day you crash

honda250Xer
08-09-2004, 07:17 PM
hey Jeff good job on the win how is the atk

dirtmomma
08-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Who is your brother?

I have 2, thier names are Mike & Troy Smalley, Troy rides a TT500 in the +40 & pro & Mike is retired now after a BAD crash last year @ Rainier he used to ride a yz250f. His son Josh rides it now along w/ his Kawi 85. You might know Mike from T-shirts he's made, he does the racing shirts ect. :)

smith_400ex_213
08-12-2004, 11:03 PM
hey
what i do is when i get to the line..
1. check my gas( i dunno why cuz if i was low i wouldnt have time to get some)
2.make sure my gas is on
3.strech out
4.strech out more
5.check my levers
6.strech out
7.tach it out a couple times
8. make sure my gas is on
9.think of a really fast pace song and sing it in my head and jsut loosen up while sittin on the quad...like a boxer getting ready to fight...bob my head...shake my arms out....jsut basic loosenin up stuff....then im usually ready to go...
10. my boss/sponsor/coach told me im jsut out there for fun so loosen up and have fun..i have been having better starts adn better finishes ever since i started doing that...
*****Dont listen to the other guys reving up thier engines...u will be intimidated

YamahaChick_722
09-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I cant relax for NOTHING when its time to line up... I get so much adrenaline going threw me that my hands start to tingle, I feel sick to my gut like Im gonna puke:o Sometimes I feel like Im a little light headed fro mall the Anxiety..(no blonde jokes please!!!!)....:p I try to take slow deep breaths and chill. but it doesnt work.....Just wondering how you all get relaxed before a race????? Sometimes it really kiils my endurance and worsens my Hand Fatigue.... i have the same thing happen to me it sucks but it gets u goen cuz as soon as u go offf the line it all gose away