PDA

View Full Version : cam??

250xrider909
08-02-2004, 09:43 PM
guys i have a 1991 250x with a white bros slip on k/n air filter and jetting done...i saw camshafts on powrol.com for 130$ could i put jus that into my quad without boring it out or changing any other things. would it have more power/top speed???

Bill Fuller
08-02-2004, 09:55 PM
You do not have to bore for cam installation.As far as more power,a cam changes the power your motor makes.A cam doesn't add horsepower,it distributes it at different RPM levels than a stock cam.You will notice most cams offer mid or low end gains or high revs,these are characteristics of different cam grinds.

2001-400ex'er
08-02-2004, 10:02 PM
How much is it to have cams put in, i really dont feel like taking the whole thing apart just to put cams in and i would probably get lost with all that clearance stuff

F-16Guy
08-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
You do not have to bore for cam installation.As far as more power,a cam changes the power your motor makes.A cam doesn't add horsepower,it distributes it at different RPM levels than a stock cam.You will notice most cams offer mid or low end gains or high revs,these are characteristics of different cam grinds.
That's partially true. A cam does affect power delivery, but it can also add power by changing the amount of fuel and air, as well as the velocity as it enters the combustion chamber. There's a lot to it and it's my bed time, but the short answer is yes, it can potentially add power by itself, but you would be more likely to see noticeable benefits by adding a high compression piston, slip-on pipe, filter, and the correct jets.

Bill Fuller
08-02-2004, 10:11 PM
It would probably take you longer to remove the plastic than it would to swap the cam.Very simple job,get a manual,you can do it!