PDA

View Full Version : My wild ride yesterday...

Tommy 17
08-02-2004, 02:01 PM
well yesterday i went on a roller coaster ride...

i was riding in a field 4th gear and all the sudden the quad just flipped on me... i went over the bars and was like WTFFFF... after layin there for a lil bit i got up and noticed the left wheel of my quad was all messed up... i'm like huh i didn't even hit anything... i walked over and looked and the bottom ball joint came apart on me... its held in with a nut that backs off and lets the a-arm fall to the ground... this happened on both arens a-arms that i know of and man did it scare the chit outta me... i called john and he said they redisgned them because they backed off on me and another person that has these a-arms causing the quads to flip... only thing was the other kid was in 1st gear i was in 4th... hes goin to send me the new style that won't come loose and replace all the damaged parts so thats good...

i'm not sure what all is wrong with the quad yet i been 2 pissed to go really look at it... but man that was a ride and half... it happened so fast i coudln't even get redy for it... i'm having no luck with this quad this year... everything from blown rear shocks to my a-arms comin apart on me haha... i would love to have had a helmet camera on i bet it woulda been alot of footage...

the best part was i was riding alone when it happened... i heard my friend on the hill so i went flyin up to try to catch up to them and do a lil riding... never made it thou...

heres a picture of the quad how it is right now... i just hope my frame isn't bent:(

UglyMotha™
08-02-2004, 02:04 PM
man tommy, i'm glad your the one doing all the testing for these arms, and free of charge at that :huh :p

Tommy 17
08-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
man tommy, i'm glad your the one doing all the testing for these arms, and free of charge at that :huh :p

yeah... to bad i don't get hazard pay:p

Chanman420q
08-02-2004, 02:11 PM
that crazy how much those shocks are compressed

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 02:12 PM
seen that happen to a friend, we were at a 3/8 mile oval doing some practice laps when his right lower a-arm poped out of the spindal dug in the ground and flipped him in the middle of turn 3 and 4. we had to drive the truck and trailer out there and pick it up to get it off the track. all it did to him was rack his nuts pretty bad, he got lucky though.

zephead400ex
08-02-2004, 02:13 PM
I hate those types of "clasp." Last time I was at the dunes, my girlfriend was riding her Mojave coming up a big hill. I was ahead of her so I stopped at the top of the hill to wait for her. She made it up the but lower a-arm completely fell off and she was shoveling sand and couldn't stop. Easy fix, but damn, someone could get hurt very easily.

Glad your alright man.

Tommy 17
08-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
that crazy how much those shocks are compressed

extended

Tommy 17
08-02-2004, 02:18 PM
compressed...

trick450r
08-02-2004, 02:22 PM
lol tommy i just put the same type shock on my 450r....play with that compression all day long....simply mesmerizing:devil: :blah: lol

08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
man that sucks so much,....your 400 is badarse...did anything happen to the shocks? I hope nothing happened to your frame..set it on is grab bar & look underneath..thats how I found tout mine was tweaked after an accident like yours....good luck ;)

08-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm pretty sure your frame is bent.

cool 300ex
08-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Ouch man glad you didn't get hurt. I wiped out in 4th gear yesterday to... 4th gear must be bad lucky. LOL

MXER017
08-02-2004, 03:57 PM
The same thing happened to a friend of mine at a practice track we go to and I was following him I almost ran over his head, and wiped out myself trying NOT to hit him.

Cody_300ex
08-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Did you not have carter pins in?? :confused: That sucks man! I hope you dont have to wait 5 months for these.

08-02-2004, 04:31 PM
i dont have carter pins in my upper one on the right side...i hope it doesnt fall off when im topping out down the road

SRH
08-02-2004, 04:56 PM
im so glad i didnt buy any arens products...he sounds liek a real bull crapper...

Rip_Tear
08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by SRH
im so glad i didnt buy any arens products...he sounds liek a real bull crapper...

You can't get it right the first time all the time...

Wow Tommy, should those nuts not have been loctited? Atleast your alright, next time get it on video though :p.

SRH
08-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
You can't get it right the first time all the time...

Wow Tommy, should those nuts not have been loctited? Atleast your alright, next time get it on video though :p.

yeah hes been working on them forever....

Tommy 17
08-02-2004, 05:19 PM
u can't put a carter key on this bc its up inside the a-arm... its hard to explain u'd have to see it... also there is no carter key holes on the rest of it either... my burgards didn't have them either thou...

so far heres my list of damage... tie rod, a-arm bearings, rotor (cracked in 3 places) rim is pretty beat up, calipar seems to be messed up but i dunno for sure yet, bearing in the hub is makin noises, handle bars are a lil bent, steering stem mayb twisted and i haven't checked the frame yet... i also think the upper a-arm is cracked but i can't tell for sure i have to take some of the PC off around that area to check... i'm also missing 90% of the pc on teh bottom a-arm.... it really scrapped it up:grr:

416exmx
08-02-2004, 05:59 PM
carter keys??? haha
you guys mean cotter pins!!!

sorry about the bad luck tommy..it sux.

redroost85
08-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Whoa, Tommy...that sounds like one badazz flip!:eek:

And now you got some tore up schiz too....:(

Well, glad you are alright bud.:)

JUSTINcredible
08-03-2004, 12:52 AM
that happend to a friend of mine when he was racing the other day but he didnt walk away.

he hit his head and was out for 5-10 minutes

Cole Trane
08-03-2004, 10:00 AM
That exact same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. It sucked, but I didn't get hurt, just new ball joints and tie rod.

Syrus
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Could u get some closer pictures of the damage ? im just curious :blah:

One_Bad_400
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
yep that happend to me a cupple of weeks ago in the whoops section but it still held on there untill the next table top and my wheel just fell in the air and scard the living crap out of me

Tommy 17
08-03-2004, 11:29 AM
better???

batgeek
08-03-2004, 11:40 AM
well as long as you aren't hurt Tommy :cool:

86350x
08-03-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd be pissed! Your lucky your not lying in a hospital right now.

Thats been one of my biggest nightmares on my built up banshee. If that came apart I'd be toast.

Hopefully your frame aint Fu>>ed too

Crazy400EX
08-03-2004, 02:46 PM
DUDE that happens to me all the time! i have action a arms. i was alright with it cause i thought it was something i did but when i got a new bolt after the first time it broke, put it on with some lock tight and put on a codder pin and it broke when i hit a jump i decided it wasnt my fault. i dont really want those a arms anymore because when they fall apart in the air, it hurts. i was wondering what to do.

Lil - Braff
08-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Dang Tommy!! :eek: That sucks! Glad to hear that you are okay tho! ;)

trxmaster
08-03-2004, 10:02 PM
post another pic (close up like the last one) of the bottom arm where it seperated if you could.

It looks like there may have been a design problem/issue from looking at how it (the lower mounting stud or bolt) just seperated from the arm.

At least the mfg has accepted their error and is willing to replace the arms and cover your damage etc, and thats pretty cool after hearing so many horror storys over the years.

Was there anything else done or modded on that front end or the arms themselves that could have cauesed it?

Good to hear you didnt get seriously hurt either since all this other stuff can be replaced.