PDA

View Full Version : Where do i get just a HRC cam?

Bretmd94
08-02-2004, 01:31 PM
I went to the dunes this weekend and beat one of my freinds yfz's and lost to the other. All of us jsut have exhaust and air filters.

Seeing as i talk so much smack, I need to be beating both of them. I want the HRC cam for several reasons. Its used with the stock springs, meaning that its not so radical that i will have to worry about being hard on my motor with out it blowing up every weekend.

Does anyone know how i can get one with out buying the extremely expencive HRC kit?

Or is there another cam that is close enough or even better that uses stock springs?

redrider9045
08-02-2004, 03:01 PM
hey i dont know were you can get just a cam but usally a cam will cost around 100 dollars and the hrc kit is only 300 also my friend just got a honda 450r and raced then he got the hrc kit put in and it revs a whole lot quicker and there a diffrence in bottom mid and top end

rap169
08-02-2004, 04:55 PM
i bought my hrc kit off ebay for 200 bucks shipped. Couldnt pass that one up

Thump_It
08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Like you I wanted just the HRC cam but my dealer said I couldn't just get that cam. Instead I bought the CRF cam. With that cam and my White Bros. Aluminum Race pipe I have beat all HRC kitted 450R's, even bikes with aftermarket pipes that I've raced at the dunes. Not to mention I have been putting a hurtin to the guys on their beloved YFZ's. I'm selling my cam and pipe, both only have 15hrs on them. Let me know if you are interested. I'm also from the Southern Oregon area.

rap169
08-02-2004, 06:36 PM
i can understand selling the pipe, but if the cam made it soo much better, they why would you sell that too? I heard that the crf cam was a waste of money and its difference from the stock cam was soo minimal that it wasnt worth the time and money. Im not bashing, but its what i have heard.

Thump_It
08-02-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm selling the cam because I plan on buying the Sparks "quiet" pipe when it comes out and I figure that I might as well buy the Sparks cam because the pipe prolly runs best with it.

The CRF cam does make a difference. I dragged a guy who has the Carbon Race system and the HRC cam. I beat him all 5 times that we dragged and he was an experienced rider. I've also raced many other modded 450R in sand drags and have only been beat twice. I'm not bragging, just stating the facts, and that is why I think the CRF cam is a good choice. It has worked well for me.

rap169
08-02-2004, 06:54 PM
ok, maybe it does. But i remember someone else ssaying it doesnt. SO i guess only a dnyo or personal experience will tell. I heard alot of good things about the sparks cams and some good and bad about the hrc cam. THis is the first good think i heard about the crf cam. I would have liked to go with sparks, but i figured id stick will all honda. And the price was a good deal also.

Thump_It
08-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I've heard differen't results from different year CRF cams. Like the 02 and 03. I'm not sure what the difference is. I just know that i'm happy with how my bike is right now but am willing to try something new. Since the bikes are so new I don't know what works the best and am doing my own personal "testing."

I was also leaning towards the "stick with Honda" plan, but since i'm getting a different, quietter pipe, I might as well stick with the same brand since that is what that pipe will be tested with. I guess that is my strategy, we'll see how it works out.

Bretmd94
08-03-2004, 01:47 PM
hey thump it, were you at box car saturday night?

I dragged a 450r with a CRF cam and a slip on. I think the slip on was a pro circuit though. Maybe not. I stopped and talked to the guy at the top of the hill after a drag that night for a sec.

I was thinking about the crf cam, but that guy i raced didnt seem much faster than me, if at all. Im pretty sure i beat a couple 450r's that night. I got beat a couple times, mostly due to my bike popping out of gear. (i need stiffer springs in my clutch, or i need to get it all the way in gear better)

Thump_It
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah that was me that you stopped and talked to. I was really impressed with your Sparks pipe, but as I recall (no pun intended) the first time we raced I started out in 1st and about wheelied over, we tied. The second time I started in 2nd and I beat you by about 1 and half bike lengths. But hey, maybe you had a bad start that time.

Oh, and I have a complete exhaust system. I want to get the Sparks system and see if and by how much that will improve my drags up the hill.

Bretmd94
08-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I was having some problems with it slipping out of gear. I do remember you beating me though. Im not so happy with my launches. I think im going to try dropping to a 13 tooth sprocket and launching in 2nd. If i lose to much I just act like im building it for mx, not drag.

As for the Sparks pipe, I love it. If i had to buy a pipe again, I would go with sparks again. And i dont have the quiet one at all. I just cruise by the dune police in 3rd at a low rpm and it stays pretty quiet. Luckily I get to use my parents dune house on Saunders lake, with dune access in the back yard. =Þ So we dont get checked at all for noise. The cops tend to like to stay in and around the parking areas.

Its nice seeing other Exriders on the dunes though. Once i get that cam i will be back for a rematch.

lukester720
08-04-2004, 12:59 PM
BRETMD, I sent you a PM

Thump_It
08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Yeah I was unhappy with my launches too for a while. I have stock gearing and start in second. I can get pretty good starts now. At the start I get real high rpms goin then dump it, it works good on a downslope start but tends to spin the tires a lot on flat ground. Just something to toy around with I guess.

By the way, are you from the Coos Bay area?

Honda Jay
08-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Seriously, you could buy mine from me, it's only got about 8-10 hours MAX on it. If still interested, make me a decent offer, and email me at jayson_cote@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Jay:D

Thump_It
08-04-2004, 06:18 PM
do you have an HRC cam for sale?

Thump_It
08-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Honda Jay
08-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It

Possibly, if i take 'er out and the price is right? jayson_cote@yahoo.com and give me a holler!

Jay