PDA

View Full Version : Make my own powder coating

promisc
08-02-2004, 01:10 PM
My frame and many of my quads parts looks really bad and need to be repainted. I just painted my foot pegs and aarms so many times already, normal paint just dont last. I consider to power coat all steel pieces but ask someone to do it can be really expensive. There is a kit on ebay to power coat. What do you think about it ? Do i need any knowledge or skill to do power coating ? Pappy ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22779&item=4315688186&rd=1

red2004 TRX450R
08-02-2004, 01:15 PM
YOU WILL NEED AN ELECTRIC OVEN TO BAKE THE PARTS IN$ AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY THE POWDER. IF I COULD FIND AN OVEN THAT WOULD FIT A FRAME IN I WOULD GET THIS.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=458

red2004 TRX450R
08-02-2004, 01:18 PM
HAY LOOK HERE
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=460&itemType=CATEGORY

PAPPY
I SEE THAT A FRAME IS GETTING BAKED MY A LAMP IS THAT THE WAY MOST DO IT???

I THOUGHT U HAD TO HAVE AN OVEN??

UglyMotha™
08-02-2004, 01:25 PM
no parts can be cured using IR lamps, also doesn't have to be an electric oven you can use a gas

Pappy
08-02-2004, 03:45 PM
the IR lamps dont get a frame to proper temperature. ive redone several from guys that tried it themselves with that set up.

the hobby guns work good for small parts and its fun to do.

sandthrower
08-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Pappy does PC sink like reg. paint :huh

I know I would want to paint any thing with out the right venting in my house.

thats just because I have no shed

UglyMotha™
08-03-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
the IR lamps dont get a frame to proper temperature. ive redone several from guys that tried it themselves with that set up.

the hobby guns work good for small parts and its fun to do.

guess you shoulda tried one of our IR setups :eek:

Pappy
08-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
guess you shoulda tried one of our IR setups :eek:

i imagine there are better set ups then whats being sold on ebay and the like, but they get expensive.

i have a buddy that has a body shop, and they have a $45,000 booth that will also go to 450 degree's with IR so i know it can be done but as stated, not with the lamos being sold to the hobbiest

UglyMotha™
08-03-2004, 07:36 AM
hehe, yup it's not a cheap setup, you could easily park a new vette in your driveway for the price of us to build you a worthy booth :p

Pappy
08-03-2004, 07:37 AM
no doubt...

im hoping over the winter to build my oven room and go ahead and get my own 10 x 10 oven. $12,000 is a chunk of change:D

UglyMotha™
08-03-2004, 07:42 AM
if your looking for oven panels, hit me up when your ready to do it, we will sell just the panels, we actually supply several of the oven manufacturers out there

I'll also see how much mark would let a 10 x 10 batch go for, we started mass producing those pretty much and it has drove the price down quite abit

Pappy
08-03-2004, 07:47 AM
im not going to build my own, i want one thats ready to go with full digital temp/time/air flow controls etc.

08-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Pappy build me one to while you are at it!!!!!!!! Mine works fine but not as nice as it could be!

Pappy
08-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
im not going to build my own,

UglyMotha™
08-03-2004, 08:12 AM
:o ..................http://www.********forums.com/forums/images/smilies/******slap.gif

08-03-2004, 08:29 AM
I know you are not slapping me ugly?????

Pappy
08-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
I know you are not slapping me ugly?????

would he be slapping you pretty:devil:

08-03-2004, 08:41 AM
hahahahaha too funny Jack arse!!!!!!!!

UglyMotha™
08-03-2004, 08:47 AM
LMAO, now that's was funny :blah:

promisc
08-03-2004, 12:49 PM
After i PC my parts, can i wait days before baking them ? Does the powder can fall off ? Maybe ill buy a kit to PC but ill bake the parts somewhere else, maybe at the high school art class. They have a big oven to bake their art *****. How long does it takes to bake a frame ?

ranger400ex
08-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Ugly....do you supply to Finishing Systems inc, in Fortville, IN?

Old roomate works there as a designer of power coat and paint lines, him and I designed an nice oven big enough to do 5 frames at a time, for a little chunck of change..burners and controls are the hardest to locate, unless you go brand new, but we did alright, a few grand in a 10K+ oven setup. They just got done designing a new full line, that has shot slinger...that thing is the ****, zinc shot that cleans ten times better than anything else, then an alkaline bath. Meek and I just haven't had anytime to get things rolling, with kid on the way, and crazy jobs. I was gonna post some pics once we got a few orders done.

BMW

ranger400ex
08-03-2004, 02:35 PM
PS any hints on a good convection fan? The oven is a foot thick, but need to keep air moving, convection, to help for even curing. I have found a couple bites, but none of them deal the fans anymore, I need to ask the old roomy too I guess.

UglyMotha™
08-05-2004, 07:47 AM
ben to tell you the truth i really have no clue who we supply panels too, i don't deal to much with sales, i just design em, i'm pretty sure though that we had been sending to indiana in the past

man, u guys using foot thick panels :eek2: did you really need to go that thick, i just got done doin a 24 x 30 batch that heated up to 850 with 6" panels and the outside of the panels only got warm to the touch

as far as a fan have you checked out cincinnati fan, that's are main supplier, pretty much all are fans we use come from them, they should have what your looking for

promisc
08-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by promisc
After i PC my parts, can i wait days before baking them ? Does the powder can fall off ? Maybe ill buy a kit to PC but ill bake the parts somewhere else, maybe at the high school art class. They have a big oven to bake their art *****. How long does it takes to bake a frame ?

?

UglyMotha™
08-05-2004, 08:22 AM
my bad dude, completely looked over your post, your answers are no, and no

sure you can let the part set around for days but in my opinion isn't good, cause i would think that your part could collect moisture

as far as transporting it, that is a definant no, you will either knock the powder off or rub it off, it doesn't take much to knock, even the slightest breeze can blow powder off