PDA

View Full Version : lock nut axle problems

jeepnrocks
08-02-2004, 12:25 PM
yesterday after riding my friend had found his chain loosened up on his 400ex. when he went toiadjust it (which should be simple) it appeared that the carrier had locked up on him somehow. we thought that he might have been at the end of his adjustment range so we tried to loosen the chain to see if anything would move and nothing..
i noticed the lpiece on the rear brake side was loose.. the threaded piece with the large nut and lock nut. im not real familiar with the internals of the carrier ect so im not sure how this would affect the chain problem but we are pretty sure your brake rotor isnt supposed to be wobbly and loose ;)
well we figured on tryinh to tighte things up and that may kick the carrier into propper position if it was indeed cocked a little in there well it wouldnt tighten so we tried to loosen the whole thing and were going to take the rear end apart and figure this mess out. well every other quad we have had did NOT have a small lock ring on the outside of the nut.
well as we tried to loosen it we didnt even realize we were loosening right over that ring. not it seems to be really wedged in there.. any ideas of how to get tthis thing apart. he already ordered replacement parts for the whole side and we are thinking we may have to get an angle grinder and very carefully cut teh nuts off. if there is any other suggestions any of you can give me i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks in advance,
mike

Sportrax10
08-02-2004, 01:52 PM
To get the lock nut off... you have to loosen the locknut(bigger nut) by turning it clockwise, then loosen the other smaller nut on the end by going clockwise... then you take off the ring, and it either slides off or you tighten it till it comes off because the ring isnt there...

Im not sure if that helps you any... but thats how you would take it off...

It probably just came loose, and I would recomend that you get an aftermarket anti-fade lock nut, or if your on a budget a RAD lock nut...

2000ex
08-02-2004, 02:15 PM
It probably just came loose, and I would recomend that you get an aftermarket anti-fade lock nut, or if your on a budget a RAD lock nut...

Agreed, I think Mezzaro's has a nice locknut for $30 or so. I have had mine for over a year....never a problem..Get a new locknut and be done with it:macho

drthrottle
08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
do you have an aftermarket axle? When you install one you will always need an aftermarket locker. Don't know why, just have seen the same problem several times. The Rad is good for $45. Dura Blue has a good one for $30.

jeepnrocks
08-02-2004, 09:11 PM
no aftermarket axle, al stock. gonna try to get this thing off first then he'll probably get an aftermarket nut but the biggest problem is removing the old setup first.

drthrottle
08-02-2004, 09:16 PM
pull the right wheel and spindle off. Then nut, rotor, etc... Everything slides out to the left.

jeepnrocks
08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks but the whole probelm is getting the nuts off ....excuse the pun
we accidentally loosened the outer one over top of the lock ring and it appears to be wedged pretty good :(

drthrottle
08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
I've never pulled that one myself. But as a last result before stripping it, Iwould heat it. Start with a little and see.

JOEX
08-03-2004, 05:53 PM
This may be an opportunity/excuse to get an aftermarket lock nut with dual pinch bolts;) :)

If you cut off the stock nuts be careful not to damage the threaded sleeve. Then get an aftermarket lock nut and you're good to go.

jeepnrocks
08-03-2004, 07:07 PM
had to use the die grinder to very carefully cut the bolts off. didnt worry bout the threaded piece. he ordered all new. he got stock nuts cause he wasnt sure if the others were for aftermarket only (i.e. dura blue for a dura blue axle)
the carrier got siezed because one of the end caps on top of the swingarm that keep water from flowing down inside the swingarm was missing. so for quite a while mud and water and gunk had been getting in there and it finally locked up..
also just so everyone can feel smarter than me...
we were trying to tap the carrier out and it wouldnt budge, im talkn small hammer and a block of wood over it hitting it hard wearing ourselves out.... well dumbasses we are forgot to take the swingarm skid bolts out. they very nicely block the carrier from sliding out DUH !!!
oh well its out parts on the way express mail so he will be running for the weekend ride :)

JOEX
08-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Good to hear you got it out! Some of us got to learn the hard way:p