PDA

View Full Version : how to get over the I HATE MX feeling?

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 10:43 AM
i started racing at 12, in 1992 and stopped in 2000. i started out on a blaster racing ovals and TT's and then the ocassional MX in late 99-2000. ive tried to race once or so a yr since 2000 and now im getting back into it more. the only thing i hate is all that they run around here is MX. one track runs ovals but its not worth the effort to go because the track dosent even run them right. no one runs TT or event wants to think of it because its "too expensive", :rolleyes: it might seem expensive because most are broke because they just dropped $4000-$5000 just to run MX.

well with all the new MX tracks around we finally got an atv ony series, but its just MX nothing else. i hate going to the MX track, i enjoy riding but i really suck at jumping. i picked up 3 more doubles sat night that i wasnt doing but that dosent help when everyon i your class is jumping everything out there. i could bring out my 250r, but it is quite outdated, and my 450r is still stock, and stock it isnt designed to jump IMO. and i will be adding a arms shocks and the other requirements this winter when funds allow.

what im asking is whats the best way to get over my hate for riding MX? i enjoy racing and the national i just wish people would race something else.

ZRider400
08-02-2004, 11:44 AM
you should be happy there is alot of mx tracks around where you live. around here theres only a few, and they dont even have real races...gotta drive far to race:o
:macho

TC426EX
08-02-2004, 12:07 PM
You just need to get more confidence with your jumpin ability. It is true, you cant even practice or star working on this until you get your chassis setup on one of the 2 bikes. You NEED at least front and rear shocks and some a arms before you even ATTEMPT to start riding a track to your potential. Once you got it down though you will never have more fun in your life. Whichever one you want to setup would be cool, but one definitely needs to get setup...

SHOCKER
08-02-2004, 12:09 PM
theres one local mx track here and it only lets quads on monday nights 5-9 so im going tonight, but it is a dirtbike track, then there is another track which is over an hour away, so feel lucky that you have so many around you, um for the feeling of hating mx just practice and practice, dont think about how good others are just concentrate on yourself and practice, it will help

canadian400ex
08-02-2004, 01:26 PM
You get over the "i hate mx feeling" by moving outta gay-ville!....give your head a shake man. There's nothing like racing MX.......I decided to stop early (24 years old) beacause of an abundance of injuries and to not race when you want to is the crappiest feeling you could ever have!!!:grr:
Don't race MX if you don't enjoy it!

quadjeff
08-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Look for classes Like Joe Byrds or even work with you local pro's. Follow the fast guys and watch how they set-up and do the jumps, whoops, turns etc. Ride withing your ability and it will come with time. Then you will never want to stop racing MX. You should be glad you do not live where I do.. There is a 2 hour minimum drive.::devil:

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 01:40 PM
it could be fun, but i miss the speed of a good TT race, ripping down the front straight at ashatabula is a blast. i have a drive also, but when you live out like i do you just get use to the drive. the closest track is about an hour away and they usually range from an hour to 2 hours away. one thing i cant get over is we have a lot of guys on a stock 400ex (any other sport bike also) out there trying these jumps. do they not know how bad they are going to be beaten landing? the 450r has good shocks but to me its still stock and a stock quads sucks.

ZRider400
08-02-2004, 03:33 PM
try setting your 450r up for mx.... just get some good mx tires/rims and a set of T2's and it will feel/handle better:devil:

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 03:38 PM
ive already got red lebel rims, holeshot mxr all around, adjusted the shocks, nerfs, HRC kit, handlebars, crf clutch perch, 13 tooth front sproket. quad tech hood, trying to remember what else, it just dosent feel right.

SHOCKER
08-02-2004, 03:44 PM
what doesnt feel right?

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 03:49 PM
the whole being on a mx track, the doubles that are a small step down i can do, and some ok step up but the ones were you see the landingis higher or the same size as the launch i cant do. even after i watch 30-40 people lift over them.

SHOCKER
08-02-2004, 04:25 PM
practice practice practice, ask someone who can do it and follow them around the jumps and do it, lots of people on the tracks are very nice and will help ya, but if ya go up and ask someone what gear to hit the jump or if ya can follow them over it they will most likely help ya

chad cavagnaro
08-02-2004, 05:28 PM
forget da moto-cross boby bouchet, and go do da crosss- country with yo friends, da moto-cross is da devil!!:devil: i luv vickie valencort and she let me see her boobies mama, and i luv dem too!
:D

RESCUE YFZ
08-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Just come to grips with the fact that your not a motocross rider and get over it, or get out on the track and practice. Riding motocross requires alot of time and energy, your not going to show up at the track and kick *** unless you practice.

08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
i don't understand what you guys are talkin bout.....:confused: I own a trx 450r and i race neatv 30+b and open-b.. and my susp is all stock!!!!!! mater of fact the only mods i have are a slip on pipe, jet, tires bars and nerfs,,,, and i'll jump anything without even thinkin twice.We run jolly rogers in NH were ther are 15 jumps and 4 laps to have fun and i just took home a 1st overall. :D not to mention i'm 2nd in points. against a couple guys with$5000 in sup (1st&3rd in pts) so don't even blame the trx susp. if you can't nut up to try the jumps , go trail ridin..:eek: BUT........ if you can get up the nuts you won't be disapointed in the way your susp handles it;) :D :D LOL

quadrcr161
08-02-2004, 06:08 PM
i am probally going to practice with a kid that is a very smooth rider and in turn help him work on his starts. its all mental i konw. and about the stock suspension, it does ok but not like an aftermarket one mentally. i would love to go run XC but like i posted earlier no one runs one around here, they are stuck on mx. i guess thats the reason i hate it so much is b/c thats all there is.

ZRider400
08-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i guess thats the reason i hate it so much is b/c thats all there is.

i think the reason you hate it....might be because people are faster than u?....... just PRACTICE . the first time i rode MX i didnt like it as much either till i practiced a ton. now its my fav thing to do. start off small for jumps, and work your way up... dont feel bad if you cant clear a big jump that everyone else is doing. some day you will grow some balls and just try it...and when u do it will be a great feeling:)

YZEATER
08-03-2004, 08:13 AM
you can't buy the balls to do the jumps. go practice. 250r outdated? not hardly. go practice, then practice some more.

quadrcr161
08-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
i think the reason you hate it....might be because people are faster than u?.......

i dont think thats it, ive been racing enough that i know theres always someone faster. i just cant get comfortable, at a local outdoor style mx track ive jumped some of the bigger jumps there but last weekend i rolled the smaller ones. if i stay at a track i learn it but then loose it all when i go to another track.

chad cavagnaro
08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
im tellin ya, find a xc or harescramble series. you may have to travel some. but youd love it!! maybe youre getting too responsible in your age, you know, gotta earn a living, no one else to pay the bills if you break your leg in eight places! some of the younger ones [no offense, wish i was, and no, im not hatin]dont have to wory about those things, its only natural for us elderly to be careful, wich is a reflex, connected between the brain and scrotum!!! :huh i dont know exactly how to find out were the closest hare scramble series to you is, but you can do some searching if you just type in the word harescramble. im sure you already know that! lol. well i do feel ya frustration cause iv only just reciently got the nads up to double about 40 ft. on a jump that is only about 4 ft high, and man i thought that was hellafied!! im no spring chicken no more so thats a big deal for me. good luck!:macho
p.s. there are about 3 gncc's a year that are propably within a few hrs. of you try one or so next yr, one in fla. wich you will hate! so dont try it, but also in ga. and in tenn. go to www.gnccracing.com ck out the sched.

RG #43
08-04-2004, 07:45 AM
I am having a hard time understanding why you even bother if you hate it? The only reason I race is because I am having fun. The track is not as...fun if you are not doing the jumps largely in fact cause you tend to do the double bounce instead of the smooth landing and end up doing twice the work and get tired faster. But even when I first started out and rolling most of them I still had a blast. I just focused on being fast on the ground until I was ready to start trying stuff. Doubles can always mess with your mind, but pace some out that you can do and then you have a rough idea of what is within your level. It is always better to overshoot then come up short, so if in doubt give it more gas. Once you can tackle most if not all of the jumps the track will flow as it was intended, until then it will just seem like a bunch of different obstacles that throw out your rythm. It is much more forgiving to learn jumps with aftermarket suspension but it is still very do-able on stock. the new 450's have way better susp then the prior machines out there and work better when pushed aggresively, so don't let it hold you back. The main point though is if you don't feel comfortable on a mx track and hate it, you probably don't belong there and should look for somewhere else to ride that does provides enjoyment.