PDA

View Full Version : How did you break in youre quad?

effective
08-02-2004, 10:35 AM
im getting my yfz450 tommorow :) and was just wondering how did most of you break in their quads?and how did it turn out..

08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
first tank of gas I just went though slow & down shifted & let it decellerate on its engine power....never went past 3/4 throttle on the first tank..after that I let it rip

effective
08-02-2004, 11:19 AM
so youre sayin while im driving i just let go of the throttle and let it deaccelerate ..?

08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
yep & downshift & let it decellerate more....dont be too drastic o nit though...just take your time & mess around on the first tank of gas...ALSO! EVERYTIME before you start this fuxxer up check your oil in the glass...especially on this first tank of gas...the oil burns up in this engine while the rings are seating so you will need to add some oil. it may or may not but always check the oil!

08-02-2004, 12:00 PM
he doesn't know what hes talking about just floor it and see how fast it goes thats what i did on my raptor and its so awesome

motoman00440es
08-02-2004, 12:02 PM
do it in heat cycles

1st. start it up and let it idle for 5 min and then turn it off and let it cool down completely.

2nd. Do the same thing but for 10 min. and turn ut off and let it cool completely down.

3rd. then let it idle for 15 min and let it cool down then your ready to go.

08-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by kfx_roostin_you
he doesn't know what hes talking about just floor it and see how fast it goes thats what i did on my raptor and its so awesome :rolleyes: everything about what you said is wrong...including your craptor being "awesome" :rolleyes:

flyin#5
08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
you need to run your engine through heat cycles as someone said, but they have it all wrong.

first start the engine and idle it giving it up to 1/4th throttle for 5 minutes. let it COMPLETLY cool off.

next do the same thing, warm the engine up until it becomes very uncomfortable for you to touch. then you can start riding. never maintain a steady speed, and avoid lugging it or getting the engine under load. the best place to do this would be a flat long surface. for the first 10 minute ride stay under 1/2 throttle. then let the motor completly cool down again.

this time you want to go for about 15 minutes of riding. warm the engine up like before and i would again stay under 1/2 throttle until you get 45min to an hour on it.

i keep going up by 5 minutes until i reach between the 20, and 30 minute mark. then just keep putting it through these heat cycles until you have 3-5 hours on it. do compression checks after each heat cycle so you know when it caps off and stops rising, this is the ONLY way you will know that your motor is broken in fully.

effective
08-02-2004, 01:42 PM
thnx for the replies .. but what do you mean by "lugging" it and how do i do a compression check and know when it caps off and stops rising ..?

motoman00440es
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
oh yea sorry i thought it was the 1/4 throtle and 1/2 throtle thing, but it didnt sound right. my bad

Chanman420q
08-02-2004, 02:14 PM
i put about 30 mins on my motor then raced it, and that engine runs great. the whole break in thing i think is a myth, other than letting the rings seat. they seat within the first 15mins of the engine being on. id take it easy for the first hour on the motor and do a heat cylce, run it for an hour, let it completely cool off and then have fun!

thats what i did, and i got about 15hours on it now and its still running strong

08-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Ran the 12hours of atv america on it. seemed to break it in pretty good!

08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Ran the 12hours of atv america on it. seemed to break it in pretty good! rofl..

WOracing
08-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by motoman00440es
do it in heat cycles

1st. start it up and let it idle for 5 min and then turn it off and let it cool down completely.

2nd. Do the same thing but for 10 min. and turn ut off and let it cool completely down.

wtf!?!?!? i never heard of this...wouldnt it overheat?

08-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by motoman00440es
do it in heat cycles

that sounds a lot like what duncan racing says to do!

08-02-2004, 02:59 PM
dump a little oil in your gas tank, too. That's what i was told by honda themself. I do this with all my machines; work great!

Smokin 440
08-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Here's some good reading on breaking motors in...LINK (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)
btw you coulda tried searching :)

Ryan
08-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by smarty pants
dump a little oil in your gas tank, too. That's what i was told by honda themself. I do this with all my machines; work great!

Do not listen to this idiot!

08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by smarty pants
dump a little oil in your gas tank, too. That's what i was told by honda themself. I do this with all my machines; work great! a spoonfull of jetfuel too :rolleyes:

sam the brave
08-02-2004, 04:32 PM
honda told me to put a bit of oil in the gas to just on the first tank
when i broke it in i gave it hell and it is fine

XCAdam89
08-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by kfx_roostin_you
he doesn't know what hes talking about just floor it and see how fast it goes thats what i did on my raptor and its so awesome

You have a raptor, but your username is kfx_roostin_you:confused: Did you get roosted by a kfx:p

08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
no..hes just trying to be like brian-250 :rolleyes:

Florida400EX
08-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Just take it easy for an hour or two... Don't worry about being specific. Just as long as your not reving it out the ***** the first hour, and you'll be good. I would ride around takin it easy 20 minutes. Let it sit for a good 2-3 hours, get back on for another 20 takin it easy, let is sit and cool for 2-3 hours, then take it easy for another 20 minutes, let let it sit. Then just ride to normal. Don't give yourself a headache over break-in. Spending 3-5 hours like somebody metioned is rediculous.

bs784
08-02-2004, 06:54 PM
It may not be good for the bike but I just got a new YFZ a couple of weeks ago, took it in the shop, adjusted everything to my liking, and took it out the next day and raced it. I didn't take it easy. It was very dusty and had a really fast feild section were I flogged it. It still runs good.

wvspeedfreak
08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Like someone else said,there are alot of myths about engine break-in.If you ask 20 different people you are likely to get 20 different opinions.Alot of this break-in voodoo came about when chrome moly rings were first introduced into the market for automobiles.Some of those rings had such a hard surface that they did cause seating problems.However,with the technology and superior materials used today that is no longer a problem.

For most people the "new" quad that they are trying so hard to perform a proper break-in on was probably flogged for 15 minutes out behind the dealership by the 17 year old set-up guy with the nose ring and baggy pants before they even got to see it.:D

440exnacsracer
08-02-2004, 08:08 PM
i dont put motor oil, but rather 2 stroke oil in my first few tanks with a fresh motor, and every now and then anyway, it burns off a lot better.

flyin#5
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i put about 30 mins on my motor then raced it, and that engine runs great. the whole break in thing i think is a myth, other than letting the rings seat. they seat within the first 15mins of the engine being on. id take it easy for the first hour on the motor and do a heat cylce, run it for an hour, let it completely cool off and then have fun!

thats what i did, and i got about 15hours on it now and its still running strong

:rolleyes: :huh it will run fine if you go out there and beat the living piss out of it right after you slap a new piston in it. its just not going to seat correctly and wear down the high spots. hell it'l probably last you years and years on it.... its a 4 stroke, but im telling you the right way to break and engine in, these are not "myths" but rather facts that are known by engine builders, not just the hick down the street that thinks he knows about engines.

im glad to know we have some people that actually know what there talking about in this thread:rolleyes:

bulkdriverlp
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
when i bought the recon last year the dealer thats been selling honda for over 20 years said "there is no such thing as break in for hondas". except.......after the first 20 hours change the oil and then once a year after that, of course depending on how often you ride. :blah:

TGW_400ex
08-02-2004, 09:39 PM
hold it pinned in neutral for 10 mins....:rolleyes:

NDpredator
08-02-2004, 09:48 PM
I broke mine in during my MX race. I rode it from the dealers garage to the back of my truck, and then the next time i was on it was when the gate dropped for my race. Seemed like a good break in to me. Everyone has different methods, and alot say to break it in the way you are going to ride it, that way everything seats itself properly.

derrick
BSracing

Rm_rida102
08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
hold it pinned in neutral for 10 mins....:rolleyes:

what ure gay? i have done four rebuilds and i dont know if its different for a fourstroke but two strokes you need 2 start it and let it idle until the head is warm shut it off check the coolant and everythign then start it up ride a tank with out over reving it or over lugging it. after that it will be fine

roostin_dale
08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Break in = ride it like your gunna ride it

When I got my yfz I rode around the yard for about 10-15 minutes(to let the rings seat). Then I took it to my practice track and rode the hell out of it for about 3-5 hours....

It is still running great so I must have did something right...

rowlrag
08-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Ride it round for 5 minutes make sure it ain't screwed to start with and give'er HELL!

400exrules
08-03-2004, 01:47 AM
what should u NOT do during break in?
do u change the oil after first tank of gas?

roostin_dale
08-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
what should u NOT do during break in?
do u change the oil after first tank of gas?

nothin really. Just take it easy for 5-15 minutes then ride hard! I changed my oil after the first 5 hours...

TGW_400ex
08-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Rm_rida102
what ure gay? i have done four rebuilds and i dont know if its different for a fourstroke but two strokes you need 2 start it and let it idle until the head is warm shut it off check the coolant and everythign then start it up ride a tank with out over reving it or over lugging it. after that it will be fine

ya whatever:rolleyes:

flyin#5
08-03-2004, 09:38 PM
:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

out of all the people here i would think one other person would know how to correctly break in a quad..... unbelievable, hell the bhq kids are smarter:huh

of course your fricking quad will run fine if you break it in.... are you dumb? its a 4 stroke, it'l run with half the piston missin:rolleyes: :p. if you want to break it in PROPERLY so the rings FULLY seat and you WEAR DOWN THE HIGH SPOTS read my post.

unbelievable

Florida400EX
08-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5

out of all the people here i would think one other person would know how to correctly break in a quad..... unbelievable, hell the bhq kids are smarter:huh

of course your fricking quad will run fine if you break it in.... are you dumb? its a 4 stroke, it'l run with half the piston missin:rolleyes: :p. if you want to break it in PROPERLY so the rings FULLY seat and you WEAR DOWN THE HIGH SPOTS read my post.

unbelievable

Seriously, with as many heat cycles as you said, you'll get 5 hours on the piston before it's time for another rebuild. I just reccomened riding for about an hour, easily, then just continue to ride as you normally did before.

speedy400
08-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Hate to sound like a "know it all" but I've talked to engine builders and read plenty on this site, and built 4 engines myself, what flyin5 said is completely right. Thats the process that seats everything the best and cures the piston the best.-darren

flyin#5
08-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
Seriously, with as many heat cycles as you said, you'll get 5 hours on the piston before it's time for another rebuild. I just reccomened riding for about an hour, easily, then just continue to ride as you normally did before.

you only get 5 hours on a piston???? wtf? god d***it.

do you know what checking the compression is? do you know what happens inside a motor during the break in process? obviously not, otherwise you wouldnt be saying "ride it easy for a while.... eh, then ride it like normal" or "ride it easy for 15minutes, then race it" :huh

heat cyles are key when wearing down the high spots, when you just go "easy on it" for 15 minutes then go balls out you will not wear down the high spots effectivly, and may even start to wear down low spots. this will not in any way make your motor not run, or not run as good, but it will lower the maximum compression you SHOULD be getting out of your motor. to sucessfully break in your engine you need to run it through these heat cylcle's until your compression reaches a peak number. if you dont want to go by this method, please dont, but its your own hp your robbing, not mine.

rowlrag
08-03-2004, 10:51 PM

unbelievable
Even with Nikisil coated cylinders? Isn't that what the 450r and YFZ have?

TGW_400ex
08-04-2004, 08:29 AM

4 rebuilds! don't listen to him he dont know what he saying

250exen
08-04-2004, 08:39 AM
i rode it as lightly as i could for about an hour, then i couldnt stand it anymore and went balls to the walls!

bradley300
08-04-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bs784
It may not be good for the bike but I just got a new YFZ a couple of weeks ago, took it in the shop, adjusted everything to my liking, and took it out the next day and raced it. I didn't take it easy. It was very dusty and had a really fast feild section were I flogged it. It still runs good.

this is how i broke in the blaster and right now, its just as fast as a piped one and its bone stock. it was about 20 degrees out side so i warmed it up and gave it hell for about 3 hours of trail riding wich naturally did include a few breaks were the motor had time to cool down a little.

400grl
08-04-2004, 09:55 AM
I know this is probably NOT the way to break in your quad.....my very first ride on my new YFZ was actually a race. I even got the holeshot first moto........didn't seem to hurt it at all - the thing has been running perfect since I bought it.....but again....I wouldn't say that's the best way to break in a new quad!

flyin#5
08-04-2004, 11:26 AM
rowlrag- didnt think about the nikasil coatings but im sure you still have to put the engine through heat cylces and wear down some high spots. it may take less time with nikasil.... i dont really know, never broken an engine that had that coating. machining is never absolutly perfect and the rings still have to adapt and wear to the cylinder walls, and vise versa. heat cycles are the best way to get the best seated rings possible.

bradly300- i dont care what you say, there is not a truely good engine builder in the world that will tell you to go balls out on your quad. ever think its rider that your beating piped ones? or how is there jetting? are they in need of a rebuild and running lower than normal compression?

the first new piston i put in the blaster i did the heat cyles, but then in the middle of the break in point i started cracking down on it a lot more. then id bring it back to doing heat cycles, and then crack it open for a sec. we totally redid my motor and i wanted to test the power. i still did what i was supposed to, but ran it a little harder than i shoulve at some points. i sat at 145lbs of compression when it was all said and done. this last rebuild i was sitting at 154lbs and still a half hour to go on the break in. this one was done fully with heat cycles and never over reved or under reved.

rowlrag
08-04-2004, 08:43 PM
With the nikasil and chrome rings used as long as it starts and run easy for 5-10 mins let it cool then ride it like normal, there will be no long term destruction, unless there is a manufacture flaw as long as normal maintence is used. clean oiled air filterd etc. All the bikes I've owned have been broke in like this, I'll tear them down when I think it's time to rebuild and kick myself for takin the time cause they look new inside, example= my 2002 Dale, 2 years old raced 1 1/2 GNCC and 1 Midsouth season plus locals, tore it down still looked new no marks nowhere, replaced the gaskets that ripped and to this day still screams.

Point is a new stock motor is not going to be hurt IMO! by riding round slowly then givin her hell, like said , to make sure everything works. If I spend 1500 on a built motor I'd do the same.

There is no right or wrong (within common sense) way just preferences and opinions.

flyin#5
08-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
With the nikasil and chrome rings used as long as it starts and run easy for 5-10 mins let it cool then ride it like normal, there will be no long term destruction, unless there is a manufacture flaw as long as normal maintence is used. clean oiled air filterd etc. All the bikes I've owned have been broke in like this, I'll tear them down when I think it's time to rebuild and kick myself for takin the time cause they look new inside, example= my 2002 Dale, 2 years old raced 1 1/2 GNCC and 1 Midsouth season plus locals, tore it down still looked new no marks nowhere, replaced the gaskets that ripped and to this day still screams.

Point is a new stock motor is not going to be hurt IMO! by riding round slowly then givin her hell, like said , to make sure everything works. If I spend 1500 on a built motor I'd do the same.

There is no right or wrong (within common sense) way just preferences and opinions.

:huh read what i said... its not going to HURT your motor...... f*ck this, i thought there was at least a few smart people out of what... the 30,000.... only darren can get this:huh :huh :huh

team_450_88
08-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Break it in at the track just ride normal and stay off the rev limiter!!

400exrules
08-04-2004, 10:27 PM
chuck it off a cliff

rowlrag
08-04-2004, 11:17 PM
:huh read what i said... its not going to HURT your motor...... f*ck this, i thought there was at least a few smart people out of what... the 30,000.... only darren can get this:huh :huh :huh
NOBODY said you were wrong, and did I say your method would hurt a motor? :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

K_Banger125
08-04-2004, 11:43 PM
i didn't break my bike in and it hasn't blown and i've had it for over a year:o

Rm_rida102
08-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by K_Banger125
i didn't break my bike in and it hasn't blown and i've had it for over a year:o
he lies

TGW_400ex
08-05-2004, 07:32 AM
he lies

ditto

BlueZ440
08-05-2004, 07:46 AM
When out and rode it for like 15 minutes. Got a drink of water and when on a 30 minute ride. I change the oil after that and that was it.

MY450R
08-05-2004, 09:13 AM
to properly break in an engine you must 1st start it let it warm up then get on a 100-200foot flat stretch then slowly go from 1st all the way to 3rd and rev it not to much but enough to get goin pretty good slowly accelerate till you hit third then turn around and do the same thing again for about 15 minutes
this is heat cycling then shut it down for 20 min.
go back out and do it again rev it a little more and go into 4th gear sloly accelerating and slowly decelerating for 15 minutes
shut it down for 20 min then your good to go as fasdt and hard as you want
ive called many engine builders and they all say the same thing

K_Banger125
08-05-2004, 10:42 AM
he lies

bs man i lie...look at your sig on your bike:rolleyes:

flyin#5
08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
NOBODY said you were wrong, and did I say your method would hurt a motor? :huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

i never said anyone said i was wrong:confused:

i also never said that you said my method would hurt the motor:confused:

i simply said that your method wouldnt hurt the motor, but its not the best way to break it in.

400exrules
08-05-2004, 07:42 PM

i simply said that your method wouldnt hurt the motor, but its not the best way to break it in.

AHHHH STOP CONFUSING ME :eek2:

rowlrag
08-05-2004, 10:01 PM

Are we square then? Too each his own. :p

JBjoeEX
08-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
first tank of gas I just went though slow & down shifted & let it decellerate on its engine power....never went past 3/4 throttle on the first tank..after that I let it rip

do that........then change the oil and your ready to go!

TheMachine
08-05-2004, 11:37 PM
I broke mine in by riding it and wrecking it. Now myself and the quad are good to go

2002400ex
08-06-2004, 12:23 AM
supposively my sister's boyfriend's yfz was already broke in at the dealer and they had already changed the break in oil. :confused: it sounded suspicious to me but maybe they broke it in right. it runs fine still. rite when he unloaded it he rode the piss out of it. he has had it for 3 or 4 weeks now and every thing is fine.

flyin#5
08-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
AHHHH STOP CONFUSING ME :eek2:

haha. when i posted it i read that.... took me like 5 minutes just to get what i meant. lol.

yeah.... if you wanna well.......... ride your quad in the begining like that, go for it.