PDA

View Full Version : Quad jumping: do you get over the uneasiness?

motoxpress
08-01-2004, 03:59 PM
I am primarily a bike guy. I have ridden them since I was a little kid and feel like I am one with it. I have also owned many quads (400ex, Z400, etc) and I have enjoyed them very much. My only problem has been jumping. If it's a good level jump then no prob but, if it's a little unlevel, I just hate that feeling of the quad being off axis. Do you get over that feeling? I never experience it on the bike because it doesn't really matter but, landing off axis on a quad is scary and painful.

Does aftermarket suspension help in this area? I am seriously thinking about getting a new quad but, I just feel so limited by this uneasiness.

Thanks,

MX

Berry
08-01-2004, 04:10 PM
yes you will get a uneasiness but the more you ride you will learn to tilt the quad back and forth so if it throws you, you can correct it. and yes aftermarket suspension will help :)

motoxpress
08-01-2004, 04:54 PM
So you are saying that even an unlevel take off can be countered through tilting the quad in the air?

Thanks for the input

MX

SHOCKER
08-01-2004, 05:04 PM
yeah say your quad is leaning to the left, turn the wheels to the left and lean to the right it will start to level and even out, and if your quad is leaning to the right turn the wheels to the right and lean left

motoxpress
08-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Cool. I'll have to work on that once I get setup with a quad again.

MX

Ryan
08-01-2004, 05:48 PM
You learn to ignore it and fix your error in the air. I personally like the jumps that throw you crooked, Its more of a challenge.

motoxpress
08-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. It's just a different feeling. There are many things that are just so different than a bike. :(

I still prefer the quad at the dunes though. I luv the bowlin' :macho

MX

redroost85
08-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Yep, it'll just be like learning how to do it on the bike. After many jumps you will learn how to pitch the quad in the air... to me I feel much safer jumping a quad as opposed to a bike...I don't know how them fellas do it, lol!:)

Aftermarket helps tremendously....especially when you jump something poorly...:o and we've all been there.:o :)

Quadzzuki
08-01-2004, 08:11 PM
A good aftermarket suspension makes a huge difference. http://fotopete.scpsoftware.net/nemx/mx04/atv0515/pictures/026_av_051604_0662.jpg
With the stock suspension this would have been painfull but with my TCS shocks, I barely noticed that I landed so out of shape.

Berry
08-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by motoxpress
So you are saying that even an unlevel take off can be countered through tilting the quad in the air?

Thanks for the input

MX

yup, like this http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p66b2d7b06699f9d05fe3edb3e20ab853/f79c014c.jpg

Florida400EX
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Another great way I've used to leval out, and even prevent tilting, is to make sure you're pinning it the whole way up the jump, not letting off, and if you become off axis in the air, lean foward and give it gas. The wheels spining would normaly make the nose of your bike come up, but of you lean foward it shouldn't, and it would also keep the bike leval. And when it comes time if you are about to land at a tilt, just make sure the throttle is pinned to get your momentum going again, makes the hit a lot softer.

Ryan
08-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Some jumps where you know your gonna end up going sideways in the air, you gotta lean to that one side its gonna lift up before going into the air.

motoxpress
08-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks all. THat helps a lot. I just need to get setup now :P

MX