PDA

View Full Version : Hard Clutch Pull

coryatver
08-29-2001, 09:47 AM
I pulled the lever of a brand new 400ex and I was like wow! thats how mine should be?? I lube it and it seems to help a little but it still pulls pretty hard. I took the parking brake stuff off. If i get a new lever and perch does it acually help? I have heard of people putting CR levers on but where do you get them and how much?

moto93
08-29-2001, 11:23 AM
Just go to any Honda dealer and order a perch & lever for a CR. Heck, they probably have them in stock. I think they come in two colors, black and plain aluminum, depending on what year CR it's off of. They are a little expensive but I haven't broke one yet.

sheaff400ex
08-29-2001, 06:03 PM
Try a RTC lever I had one on my Blaster and loved it. They are sort of on the expensive side (55.00) i think. Alot of the pro's run them. I have had one on my blaster for 3 years and no trouble with it wearing out the the pep ones.

coryatver
08-29-2001, 07:21 PM
My dealers prices are really high. Maybe I can get it off of service honda. Does the CR have easier pull?

Stevo
08-29-2001, 09:06 PM
I got one from speed racing about a year ago. I rolled the other day and broke the lever and cracked the perch. I was pretty disappointed. I got a new perch and lever from speed again and it's made much better and stronger. You should probabley get a new cable too. Their only like $10. So if you get an e-z pull kit $30 and cable $10 you should be able to pull the clutch with your pinky!!!:devil

NVR2L8
08-29-2001, 11:20 PM
To properly lube your cables, you really should invest in a cable luber--most places sell the luber adapter with a can of fluid for only about $15. Anyway, the luber fits over the end of the cable, and allows you to shoot the lube directly into the cable itself...I lube my cables until fluid runs out the other end. BTW, compare the clutch pull of a stock 400EX and a stock CR250...you should notice that the CR has a slightly easier pull due to the design of the perch and lever. Not quite as easy as one of the EZ pull models out there, but it's an improvement over the stock version, as well as readily available should you break the perch or lever.

08-30-2001, 08:30 AM
Yup I agree the cable luber is an ingenious idea,,,works like a champ and will help that clutch cable from getting hard to pull, if ya ask me it's as important as chain lube,,I also use a speedracing clutch lever and perch,,no problems with mine but I've also kept my bike ride side up since I've had it on there..unlike some people,,,,stevo...lol,,:D

coryatver
08-30-2001, 06:04 PM
I have a Motion Pro Cable luber. I use it but i doesn't work very good. Most of the lube goes all over and not in the cable when i spray it in. But some gets in and eventually it runs out the other side.

Maybe I am doing it wrong. I just hook it on the end of the cable and tighten it down. Is there a trick to this?

08-30-2001, 07:46 PM
Has anyone used a Motion Pro "Terminator" clutch cable compared to stock , is it a better design or just advertising?

NVR2L8
08-31-2001, 12:15 AM
I just make sure that the top of the endcap on the cable is near the middle of the rubber insert of the luber, and then snug it down. It still makes a mess, but that's about the best way I've found. I also make sure to wrap a shop towel around the luber...helps catch most of the overspray. Anyway, even though it's a pain to use, it's the only way I know of to clean the junk out of the cable and keep it lubed. BTW, I've had my 400EX almost two years now, and my cables still look and feel new.

MOFO
08-31-2001, 05:32 AM
Yep, I agree with the cable luber as well. I have one myself....its now basic maintaince once a month. If you try this and no luck, just order up a new cable....$15. comes with the cable and the plastic covering. My buddy just odered one....once you put it on, it just like that brand new feeling again. ;)

Eric

Stevo
08-31-2001, 04:53 PM
Lol Rico. I got a new perch and lever and it looks a lot stronger. I think I might of had the perch clamps to tight too. I didn't make them that tight this time so if i do roll over it would just slide down instead of breaking