PDA

View Full Version : Honda aluminum thumb throttle

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Does any company make an aluminum thumb throttle for a 400EX? I want to see if they do if they could make a custom one for the left side (mirror image?). Seeing as how I only have a left arm! That or does anybody have any ideas on adapting one?

Pappy
08-01-2004, 10:11 AM
you could mount it backwards and use your index finger:confused:

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 10:27 AM
The 400Ex has a clutch. So that is pretty much out of the picture. I have been using a twist throttle but the grip trys to work its way off to much. I don't even know if I would even like the thumb idea but its worth a try if I can get something figured out.

Out_Sider
08-01-2004, 11:53 AM
wrap some wires around the grip on the twist throttle side ;)

terko440
08-01-2004, 11:55 AM
If they made one of those Rekluse Auto clutches like what is posted in the 450R section that would solve the clutch problem or would make it easier on you anyways. I realize it wouldnt be cheap if they would even make one for the ex. Good luck.

Juggalo
08-01-2004, 12:05 PM
moose makes a really nice billet aluminum thumb throttle. thats the only other thumb throttle on the market that i can even think of besides stock. they dont make ones for the left side tho but maybe if you call them they can build you one! good luck

Pappy
08-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by terko440
If they made one of those Rekluse Auto clutches like what is posted in the 450R section that would solve the clutch problem or would make it easier on you anyways. I realize it wouldnt be cheap if they would even make one for the ex. Good luck.

that was a suggestion i left out of my post. the rekluse kit would be just ticket for him. i bet if he called them up they would bend over backwards to get him one. i know they have them they just arent sold openly:macho

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 01:29 PM
The clutch isn't a problem. I have been riding atvs with clutches for years. I was just wondering if maybe I would like a thumb throttle better, if I could even find one.

Rip_Tear
08-01-2004, 01:47 PM
I am not exactly sure, but couldn't you take apart an original thumb throttle, and rotate the the lever like +or-90 degrees(CCW) put it back together and put the whole thing on the left side so that the cable comes out in the right side, and the HONDA emblem would be upside down. Kind of hard to explain but I am pretty sure it would work, the lever would just ark the wrong way which isn't really a problem... I'll go see if mine will do it right now.

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Rip_Tear if you could check that would be awesome. I would try it but I don't even have the original throttle to try it with. I was kind of wondering that myself. Let me know soon. Thanks.

Rip_Tear
08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Okay, well it "works' not exactly as planned though. Here are some pics. I just took off the my throttle and put it on my old bars after changing the configuration so no clutch or anything on there.

From the back
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p29706acc117cfff27755fd2f005f986b/f79c1f33.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pf32e8bbd83fe86ad22947ae80a059960/f79c1f53.jpg
Bottom
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/p1518aa55ea7dd79ed73216f939c4bade/f79c1f4b.jpg

So there are some problems, its a long reach for your thumb, basicly you could just cut the whole black plastic peice off... (I guess it depends on how long your thumb is...) The angle is a little akward aswell, I think I could deal with it if I had too. The problem is there is a rectangle top on the throttle lever that only allows for 180 degrees of movement, this could be modified but would cause a great deal of percise work. Kind of hard to explain, I am in school for CNC and have taken a year of Tool and Die, and a tool and die maker could make you throttle assemble, its not very complicated really basicly your just pulling a wire (lol).

Rip_Tear
08-01-2004, 02:48 PM
BTW I still have it together if you want me to post any more pics, I could post one of my hand on it so you can see how it would work...?

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for pics and the work! I think that would be very hard to work that way while ripping thru the trails. Maybe if I can come across a factory throttle I will tear into it and see about getting some custom pieces made. Until then I will have to keep using my twist throttle that I have been using for years. Unless someone else has any ideas to share. Thanks again.

Rip_Tear
08-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I'll keep thinking, I enjoy trying to figure stuff like this out. Now if I had machinery here I could make one up... If your still looking for one in September I'll see what I can make in my classes.

4wheelboy
08-01-2004, 04:21 PM
couldnt u jus flip the thumb throtle up side down an put it on the left side. the only problem i could think of is the lever that u push would be on top of the bars instead of the bottom:confused:

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 04:21 PM
If I can't find anything I will keep you in mind. If you can make it work I would pay you. September isn't that far away anyhow. Keep thinking tho.

Rip_Tear
08-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by 4wheelboy
couldnt u jus flip the thumb throtle up side down an put it on the left side. the only problem i could think of is the lever that u push would be on top of the bars instead of the bottom:confused:

Kids are too smart these days... I am sure I would have thought of it eventually... JP I don't know why I didn't think that would work...

I don't know how much room you will have left for your clutch though.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid132/pe86bb9c2c6ba2a0c4bf96b1ee6cd8ca1/f79bbf78.jpg

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I think that would be very hard to ride also. I say keep trying to figure out how to make a new lever so it will work like stock but only on the left. Looks like you guys are starting to think hard now.

4wheelboy
08-01-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Quadworks
I think that would be very hard to ride also. I say keep trying to figure out how to make a new lever so it will work like stock but only on the left. Looks like you guys are starting to think hard now.

dude me an riptear are going to figure somthing out:macho

Quadworks
08-01-2004, 06:58 PM
I'll be waiting lets see what you guys can come up with! Good luck!

Florida400EX
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Wait wait wait, are you saying you're left handed, or only have one arm period? Well, Terrycables makes billit alluminum thumb throttles, give them a call and see what they can do.

Quadworks
08-03-2004, 05:07 AM
Hey your right on both things! I am left handed but only because there is no other hand to use. HaHa!! But yes I will check into Terry Cables about a throttle. Thanks.

Florida400EX
08-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Quadworks
Hey your right on both things! I am left handed but only because there is no other hand to use. HaHa!! But yes I will check into Terry Cables about a throttle. Thanks.

So what, is your right hand broke or something? How are you planning to hold on?

Quadworks
08-03-2004, 09:05 PM
No I only have a right arm from just below my shoulder up. I never have had a problem holding on except when my grip would slid off which has only happened once.

Florida400EX
08-03-2004, 10:21 PM
you got me confused :huh

Quadworks
08-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
you got me confused :huh

Need someone to draw you a picture??

Chanman420q
08-04-2004, 06:13 PM
so u got the twist throttle on the left side correct?

anyways im pretty sure u can mod the Stock one to work the way u want it too, that lever is adjustable, and u can take it off, so take it off and flip it around.

Rip_Tear
08-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
so u got the twist throttle on the left side correct?

anyways im pretty sure u can mod the Stock one to work the way u want it too, that lever is adjustable, and u can take it off, so take it off and flip it around.

I already did that, it doesn't work right, besides its on a rectangle top, so its only adjustable to a certain extent.

Quadworks
08-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Does anyone have the website for Terry Cables? Because they do make a trick looking billit thumb throttle. So maybe I can get them to make me one. It's just been hard to find time to research anything lately when working 12-13 hour days that I have for the past 1 1/2 months. Thanks for all the input guys!:)