PDA

View Full Version : Carb only opens half way

HondaOnly
08-01-2004, 08:21 AM
My 38mm lectron carburetor, using the stock throttle is only getting half the throttle that it should be, even though the engine hits the red line. This is not normal and my guess is i need to replace the thumb throttle with a longer pulling throttle, correct? Does anyone know of a good thumb throttle that is realativly inexpensive and will allow the carb to open fully? Also, since the carb only opens half way and it still gets full throttle, can my quad take advantage of full throttle? I have listed all the modifications made to the engine to help you decide if it can.

The Engine:
440 11:1 compression
Cylinder Head has been ported and polished
Hotcams Stage 2 Camshaft
LRD Pro 4 Full System
Lectron 38mm Carb
Modified Airbox Lid
Uni filter

Also, what else can i do to get a little more low end or power any where else... i think I am at the max of a 440.

Thanks
Greg

crandles
08-01-2004, 08:32 AM
You should be able to adjust your cable enough to get full throttle. The stock thumb should have plenty of pull. If anything a new cable. I dont know much about the lectron, but im sure they make a cable for it. Also you really have not seen your power if you cant get full throttle. More air more gas more power.

HondaOnly
08-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Thanks, but, because the throttle cable does not connect the same way as on the stock 35.5, and the throttle has to pull a flat slide straight up a full 38mm instead, it is impossible to get full throttle, i have tried every thing. Im going to see if i can get it to open fully with a twist throttle.

HondaOnly
08-01-2004, 06:48 PM
The twist did the trick, now it opens fully. Anyone else have this issue with an aftermarket carb?

honda250xrider
08-01-2004, 07:04 PM
with the lectron you must grind out the throttle. with enough adjustment of the cable and grounding down the throttle now it opens up to full throttle perfect

HondaOnly
08-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I'll have to do that. Actually that was what i was thinking i had to do, but it would have just been easier to replace the throttle all together. I'm going to stay with the twist for now because the cable for the thumb throttle frayed on me.

Thanks

Florida400EX
08-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Terrycable throttles may work. Or, you can grind away the tab which makes the 400ex thumb throttle from pushing farther.