PDA

View Full Version : Front end adjustment

TC426EX
07-31-2004, 08:43 PM
I just put new +2 tie rods on my quad and now I have a slight handling issue up front. I measured it out and it seems to be set up equal on both sides. I got 5 degrees camber on both sides with 1/2 inch toe in on both sides. Unfortunately my bumper is slightly crooked so i really cant tell by looking at it if its straight or not. All I know is that as far as I can tell the measurements add up to the side of the frame on each side. My problem is that now when I lauch off of jumps, the right side sinks some and I got to fight it and it pulls SLIGHTLY to the right on the ground, but not enough to notice it at all. I really notice it off of jumps the most now. I checked my tire pressures, and shock adjustments and they are dialed in the same so im thinking its the adjustment. What type of an adjustment error would make it pull to the right on jumps? Alignments arent the easiest thing to do but I have never had a problem in the past. Any info would be appreciated since I already have considerable time in it and would like some advice before I screw with it anymore. Its funny that it handled great with a slightly bent front tie rod and now that I got new ones its unsafe to jump far...

bradley300
07-31-2004, 09:28 PM
sounds to me like your right tire is a a shade toed out. if the measuements are right, you could have a slightly bent spindle

400ex men
07-31-2004, 11:29 PM
all 400ex spindles are slightly bent on the right

Hammer trx450r
08-01-2004, 04:41 AM
first thing is you want 3 to 4 degrees and put your toe at 0 not half inch in on each side. also start by measureing each wheel to the center point in the frame and adjust with tierods to be the same. then check toe in and adjust to 0. Eyes will never tell you if it is straight

08-01-2004, 12:24 PM
you want 1.5 degrees camber and between 1/8" and 1/4" toe in total. the easiest way is to use tie downs to hold your handlebars straight while you adjuste everything. Make sure that your tire pressure is the same before you start adjusting or your measurements will be off. I garauntee this will make a difference. You must be very particular when measuring too.

TC426EX
08-01-2004, 12:52 PM
looks like the right spindle might be a bit bent from running offset front rims (to make it +3). Ill post a pic soon and you can tell me what you think. I appreciate all the help so far, keep em comin with the opinions guys....