View Full Version : Front end squeeking

millertime1234
07-31-2004, 03:01 PM
I just got my new 2003 400ex and the front end squeeks a lot when the front end moves. I noticed there is no greese fittings on the 400 what should I do to stop the squeeking. I tried spraying silcone lube on all the bushings on the front but it didn't work. Any input would be greatly appreicaited.

KY Woods Rider
07-31-2004, 03:38 PM
If it's squeaking when you push down on the front-end or when you hit a small bump, the most common culprit is the lower front shock bushings. They aren't greased very well and start squeaking with very little use, especially if you ride in a lot of mud and water.

To fix it, the best way is to put something under the quad to hold the front wheels an inch or two off the ground, unbolt the shock, slide the pivot collar out of the bottom of the shock, clean any dirt/corrosion/etc out of the bushing, grease the bushing with a quality grease (I like Bel-Ray Waterproof), slide the pivot collar back in, and bolt the shock back on.

Of course some people feel that unbolting a couple parts and putting grease on them is too much work, so they just spray a bunch of WD-40 on the lower bushing. However, WD-40 isn't a very good lube and it washes off easily with water, so it's only a temporary fix until you hit a couple water holes and wash it all out.

millertime1234
07-31-2004, 03:54 PM
thanks much for the help I appreciaite it.

300ex_honda
08-06-2004, 12:15 PM
i get the same squeaky noise, espically at high speeds on smooth paved roads, its a constant squeek, i took of the wheel cleaned the breaks and discs, thinking there was dirt in it, would it mean i should try unbolting the shock and so on aswell?

plkmonster2
08-06-2004, 12:31 PM
OMG!!! Thank you KY Woods Rider! I was so sick of that squeeking that i was about to tear my a arms off. Now I dont have to! I took my shock off, and the Collar, which should be shiny, was full of crud! I cleaned her up, put lots of grease in there, slapped it back together, and no more squeek! Yes, you should do that, and do it the right way, so you dont have to worry about penetrants being washed out! Thanks!