PDA

View Full Version : Some Raptor tuning tips...

LTandRaptorider
07-31-2004, 02:05 PM
I've read how some people have had problems with the carbs blowing off the intake boots on the Raptor. I've had mine for 3 years now, never had that problem. I think it's because of one reason... always make sure the carbs are seated properly in the intake boots, and securely tightened. Then attach and tighten the boots coming from the air box. Take the time to make sure they too are properly seated, as they can be a PITA to get on. When jetting, remember the right carb feeds 2 intake valves, the left feeds one. Left=lean... Right= rich. When you add a complete exhaust, start 2 sizes larger on the mains, it will be a trial and error method. With my alba exhaust and pro-flo filter system, I ended up with a 160 and 162 main jets. On the pilots, I had to go DOWN one size. Needle clip is in the second position down from lean. When adjusting the air/fuel screws, which are on the underside of the carb, since the screws are on the intake side, not airbox, you are adjusting the fuel mixture, not the air. I have mine set at 1.5 turns out. There is no need for different settings on the screws, and both pilots are the same size. You will notice when you bottom the adjustment screws, the right carb screw goes in about a quarter turn more than the left, so set them both at the same number of turns. Make sure to do periodic check and adjustment of the valves, especially after the break-in. For carb adjustment, and valves, you will need to remove the front plastic and gas tank. A pain, but necessary. When checking the valves, remove the crank cover on the left engine side, and flywheel inspection cover to see the timing mark. Use a large blade screwdriver, or I've used a chisel with a crescent wrench, for both covers. Put a socket and wrench on the crank, turning it counter-clockwise... this is of course after removing the valve covers... as you turn the crank counter-clockwise, when you observe the valves going down, you are on the intake stroke. Watch for the timing mark through the inspection hole for the flywheel, it will come up quick! When the timing mark is lined up with the notch in the inspection hole, you can now adjust the valves. Loosen the lock nuts on the tappets, use a feeler guage to set the clearance. The exhaust valves are a pain, not much room with the oil tank there, but take your time and it can be done. Hope this helps, since I've seen some questions about Raptor jetting on here. If anybody needs help, pm me. ;)

07-31-2004, 06:33 PM
fun stuff....good tips

plkmonster2
08-03-2004, 01:36 PM
I ride with 3 raptors, and only 1 has blown the carbs off, and this was only because he was pumping the gas, like it was running, before he started it. Hit the starter, and with a loud POP! they blew off. My advice, don't pump the gas!