PDA

View Full Version : scratches on 400ex plastic

08-29-2001, 09:47 AM
i got a brand new 400ex and i got all these little annoying scratches on it its not a big eal or anything i just want to know what an easy and good way to remove the scratches off the fenders and do u guys have a million scratches on the fenders or is it just me:confused:

400exBro
08-29-2001, 10:19 AM
i have a lot of sratches on my back fender form tight trail riding, all what ido is if the sracth is visible (dirt and dust in it) i give it a nice wash down and then shine her up with Amerall and it is a nice looking machine after that wash!!!
400exBro :rolleyes: :blah :macho

And Welcome to the board!!!!!!!:)

LiLMissHondaEx
08-29-2001, 01:56 PM
Another thing that works well for me is Mop N Glo....a good bath and a few coats of that will make it look just about new!!

knighttime
08-29-2001, 02:05 PM
Check out the post "Shine that SOB up" in the maintenance section. The guy who started it is really cool and smart.:devil

trx400ex
08-29-2001, 03:15 PM
beware of plastic renew ....it works for a few days, then the chemical comes out , BUT you already sanded the color out of your plastic so it looks worse..i made that mistake

nakomis0
08-29-2001, 03:15 PM
Plastic Renew, its like 20 bucks, comes with sand paper, and a liquid plastic solution. Works good, my plastic was getting all scratched up, my buddies where laughing at me, saying my 1 yr old bike had 10 yr old plastic :) , after I used Renew even they where impressed.

Shines like new, gets most the light scratches out, says you can get all the scratches if you have the time, took me like 2 days, (6 hours) to do a decent job. If i wanted to get all my scratched out it probably would of took at least twice that amount of time:square

08-30-2001, 07:00 AM
thanks alot guys im gonna go on to rocky mountain .com and get some of that scratch renew and clean my quad up. i got another question are the rzer rear tires good cause im getting them today?:)

2000ex
08-30-2001, 07:34 AM
For the scratches, dont worry about them. Just use some form of tire dressing and it will be looking new again in no time. If the bike gets REALLY bad, replacement plastics are dirt cheap at servicehonda.

As for the Razrs, I highly recommend them for riding around MIlford with all of the rocks we have to deal with. I bought the 6 ply 22in tires, pound the hell out of them and have never had a flat. The 22in provide a much better ground clearance so you wont kill your skidplate in 2 weeks. In fact I will order the same tires again from rockymtn.

Just speaking from personal experience.

trx400ex
09-04-2001, 03:23 PM
just wait untill the plastic renew chemical has worn off hahahaha

Stevo
09-04-2001, 08:36 PM
Use mop n glow. It works pretty good and doesn't leave the plastic greasy. As for scratches i wouldn't worry abou it. These are off-road machines meant to take a beating!!!!!!:devil

SLB400EX
09-05-2001, 07:01 PM
Scratches!! My quad is covered with them. I just wash it, shine it and don't worry about those scratches.
Hey, they add character!! :p Some even have a story behind them!! LOL!

"BLAHH"300!!
09-17-2001, 02:03 AM
get a a box cutter razor blade hold it lie this
- / and pull it to you not digging in and shave the scratch out

- / ---->> works for me- doesn't make such a large abrasion as using sand papper you can kinda control it

kat400ex
09-21-2001, 09:41 PM
I have heard mop and glow and the renew stuff is extremely time consuming and for the results you get it aint worth hours of sanding......mop n glow it about 3 times your done!!! and it aint a 400ex if it aint got scratches......i dont know whats up with the plastics if we were all smart enough to mop it glow it from day one they might still look good .....but the scratches are normal.....the plastics are real cheap like maybe 60 for the back and maybe 90 for the front. good luck think real hard on that renew stuff its not worth all the work......

Nausty
09-23-2001, 05:23 PM
we use that whitish armoral it works really good!

trueblue450
09-27-2001, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by EX-CITING 300
get a a box cutter razor blade hold it lie this
- / and pull it to you not digging in and shave the scratch out

- / ---->> works for me- doesn't make such a large abrasion as using sand papper you can kinda control it

Lost me there bud??? Anyways, my brand new machine has scratches all over it. I just get over it, cuz you are always gonna have scratches. If you worry about it to much, then you will never ride hard enough and be a wuss. But yeah Armoral works wonders. For a little while! Don't try the plastic renew unless you really want to buy some new plastic.

RideRed04
09-27-2001, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by kat400ex
I have heard mop and glow and the renew stuff is extremely time consuming and for the results you get it aint worth hours of sanding......mop n glow it about 3 times your done!!! and it aint a 400ex if it aint got scratches......i dont know whats up with the plastics if we were all smart enough to mop it glow it from day one they might still look good .....but the scratches are normal.....the plastics are real cheap like maybe 60 for the back and maybe 90 for the front. good luck think real hard on that renew stuff its not worth all the work......

$60 for front, and $65 for rear. I was smart enugh to start from day one with the 400ex, and people dont think I ever ride it, but then I show em the rear tires, all rounded on the lugs.:D