PDA

View Full Version : Blaster in a 250r frame

Freestylemxr
07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
How much are people spending on a blaster engine in a used race ready 250r chassis? I already have the blaster engine but I would need everything else, thanks! :)

Mattman88
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
dont ya think it would be better to put an R motor in a blaster frame. Not flaming the blasters power... cuz i have one, and you probably have everything except the R motor. You may have to do some customizing but you would then have a bad *** blaster.

theTman
08-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Mattman88
dont ya think it would be better to put an R motor in a blaster frame. Not flaming the blasters power... cuz i have one, and you probably have everything except the R motor. You may have to do some customizing but you would then have a bad *** blaster.

he races the air cooled 14-15 yr old class...blasters or 300exs...

thats why he wants to do this

Freestylemxr
08-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Yea, I'm sick of gettin tossed around n tipping over and feeling crouded on the stock blaster chassis so with the 250r frame hopefully it will be a beter fit/ ride :p

KFX400MxR
08-13-2004, 09:49 PM
isnt the 14-15 year old class a production class? if it is you couldnt run a 250r frame!!

SHOCKER
08-13-2004, 09:59 PM
no he just said that it is a air cooled class so ya have to run an air cooled motor and a R motor is water cooled

SandFam
08-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Not that this is what you are looking for but I built a blaster for my son using the blaster frame with a wide durablue axle and wide offset front wheels for width. Then added a 250R rear shock for his weight as he got older. Then the engine blew so I went back to the same 250R and modified the blaster for the R engine and made radiator holders for the R engine on the front of the Blaster right behind the DG bumper. I was also able to modify the Paul turner pipe to work on the R engine. All this power in the light Blaster frame gives my piped and jetted Banshee a fairly good run. Just thought I'd throw this in, I know you have to stay aircooled but if you get to a point of just ripping on the weekends you can find the R engines fairly cheap and the mod is fairly easy. I can send pictures if anyone is ever interested. I had actually thought of marketing it since its such a cheap alternative to the 240 kit and stays COOL! :cool:

wilkin250r
08-17-2004, 09:41 AM
The 250r frame is larger than the blaster frame, so it's probably heavier. So what you gain in handling might be lost in power-to-weight ratio.

Beyond that aspect, I think the 250r frame would dominate the air-cooled class, it will certainly out-handle a blaster chassis any day of the week. So for racing purposes, it's certainly an effort worth considereing. Especially if you can keep the frame modifications to a minimum, when you move up in the racing world to the 250cc or open class, all you need is a 250r motor to put back in, rather than buying a whole new quad.

One other aspect you can investigate is an ATC250R motor. They were all air-cooled up through 1985, and thus might be legal for the air-cooled class. An air-cooled ATC250r motor in a 250r frame would run circles around anything else in the air-cooled class.

wilkin250r
08-17-2004, 09:45 AM
By the way, to answer the original question on price, expect to pay a bare minimum of $1000 for a rolling 250r chassis, last one I saw on ebay sold for $1700 complete with everything except motor. And then you have the cost of modifications to fit the blaster motor. Even if you do the work yourself there are materials costs, which will probably add another couple hundred by the time you're done.