PDA

View Full Version : sparks advanced key

08-29-2001, 09:13 AM
What exactly dose a sparks advanced key do? And what are the effects on riding i.e. Speed. quickness, ect.:D

08-29-2001, 01:13 PM
I just got mine in yesterday and am installing it this week to test it out on Labor Day. I will let you know how it improves performance. It is a small half moon shaped piece that sits on the crankshaft under the flywheel and changes where the TDC (top dead center) "occurs" in relation to when spark plug ignites. Maybe someone else can explain that part better than I.

wyndzer
08-29-2001, 02:53 PM
I believe that it allows the fuel to ignite on the downward stroke of the piston instead of igniting when the piston is at the top of the stroke. Thus adding slightly more push on the piston, in turn you get a quicker stroke or rev.

nakomis0
08-29-2001, 04:53 PM
I think it actually ignites the fuel when the piston is closer to its highest point. This creates more compression before ignition.

Compression is sweet, the more the better as far power goes. Its just that to much and your throwing pistons, rods, bearings, old shoes and kitchen sinks.:huh

JhallettEX
08-29-2001, 06:25 PM
I am also wanting to know what exactly it does and what kind of a power increase it will give your quad. Also where and how much can you get one for? Is it hard to install yourself? Thanks alot.

xcntry
08-29-2001, 06:36 PM
I installed one about a month ago. To be honest i did'nt feel any difference at all. I was told that it would make my quad harder to start but i dont notice any difference. You can get one for 15$ from sparks racing.com and it comes with the flywheel puller. Be careful to not get any dirt in the side case while installing it . You will also need a new side cover gasket and a new gasket for the little starter gear cover. The hardest part of installation was scraping the old gasket of the engine. An impact wrench will also be a big help in getting the flywheel off. I didnt do any speed runs or anything but i didnt notice any big difference!

08-30-2001, 11:34 PM
BY ADVANCING TIMING THE PLUG IGNITES SOONER...ON THE UPWARD STROKE NOT DOWN WARD...ATLEAST THATS WHAT MY AUTO AHOP TEACHER TOLD US...BY THE WAY EVERY TIME I CALLED SPARKS TO GET ONE THEY NEVER CALLED ME BACK..I SUGGEST THE XR250 CDI..IT ADVANCES TIMING AND RPM LIMITER

08-31-2001, 08:08 AM
You gotta just keep calling Sparks they are good to you once you get a hold of them. We played phone tag for a while as well.

oynot400
08-31-2001, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by McgrathSucks
BY ADVANCING TIMING THE PLUG IGNITES SOONER...ON THE UPWARD STROKE NOT DOWN WARD...
This is true, if it was firing on the downward side of TDC it would retard the timing.