PDA

View Full Version : Towing with independent rear suspension?

remlapr
07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Hoping someone can help me out here - I'm shopping for a new Truck\SUV and I'm checking out the new Nissan Armada SUV, but it has independent rear suspension and I plan to tow a good size trailer with it. I know with a solid axle\leaf spring setup you can use air bags - but what about with independent rear suspesion?? Can I still use air bags somehow or can I just use air shocks? Any idea what kind of $$ I would be looking at?

I saw an Armada pulling about a 16ft enclosed at Sparta and it was almost dragging the rear bumper so I know it's going to be an issue.

MOFO
07-30-2004, 04:05 PM
I'll be honest with ya... if you plan on towing alot with it (and I just dont mean weight), get something with a solid rear axle. The IRS system cant handle as much weight and there are more parts to wear out faster. Its too bad they put IRS on the Armada...it seems to have a good motor for towing too.

IRS was made to keep the soccer moms happy with a smoother ride. Dont get me wrong, they can tow a little weight, but I would not consider one if I knew I was pulling a trailer alot.

Same thing with ford... they killed the explorer and the expedition with IRS (speaking about towing ability)

Ericthered rdr
07-30-2004, 04:14 PM
The answer to your question is yes you can put airbags on the Armada. The problem is does Airlifter make a vehichle specific set. You may want to call Summit racing or Jegs they both carry them. I installed a set on my dads Toyota and they are amazing!

bulkdriverlp
07-30-2004, 09:23 PM
what mofo said, dont even bother independent suspension isnt for towing, its ride comfort. youl be just wasting ur money. solid rear axle only:blah:

remlapr
07-30-2004, 10:47 PM
:( - That's what I figured. There's really only two vehicle out there that meet my needs - a yukon XL with the 8.1, but I refuse to pay 50k+ for something the depreciates so quickly, I also hate the interior layout of the GMC\Chevy's - very outdated. And a Excursion with either a v10 or the diesel, but also 50k and I just don't like Fords...