PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GNCC Round #11 "The Penton" AM Race

Admin
07-30-2004, 06:23 AM
The AM Race at the Penton was spared the mud and rain that came later in the day, but they had another challenge which was the heat and humidity. Also, the field sections of the course were fairly dry and dust was going to become a slight problem during the race, but it wasn't anything like the dust of the past.

This year the start was held in the same field as last year, but the riders were going up the hill and around and huge tree at the end of the straight away.

Riders quickly lined their quads up along the edge of the starting area to try to get a good starting position.

Admin
07-30-2004, 06:29 AM
Stepanie Parton also had her quad lined up and waiting. She knew entering the race that she only needed one more win to clinch the Women's Championship for the season. The last two years it has come down to the last race of the season to determine the Champion, and Traci typically has come on strong at the end of the season, so today's race was going to be exciting to watch.

Admin
07-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Traci Cecco seemed unphased by the pressure of having to win the last four races to remain the Women's Champion as she posed with long time friend and fellow District 6 racer Stefanie Verkade (Kenney). Stefanie made her Women's class racing debut this year and has done extremely well. She has been whooping up the B Class Men for years, and advanced to A Class this year locally. She figured it was time to try her hand against some of the fastest women in the Country, and she is quickly becoming one herself. Congratulations Stefanie on your great first season so far!

Admin
07-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Brenda Kress is no stranger to GNCC racing, but the 30+ Mom took some time off from racing full time for a few years in the GNCC series to spend more time with her family, but now she is back and quickly picking up where she left off.

She had her best overall finish of the season at the Wisp with 6th Overall finish and has 6 finishes 4th or higher, but is currently in 7th place in points, but with three races left, she could easily move up into the top 4.

Admin
07-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Missie Legge started out the season in the Sport Class on her blaster, but after not having much success, she switch to the womens class and earned her best finish at "The Patriot" with a 7th Place. She gave everyone a scare at Wisp when she flipped over backwards trying to go up the ski lope start, but fortunately she was ok, but her quad wasn't. She ended up not able to race after the restart.

Admin
08-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Super Senior Rider, John Foster, made the short trip from Indiana to compete in his 2nd race of the year. He finished 10th the last race and was looking to improve upon it at the Penton.

Admin
08-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Jay Condon and Ed Malott talk about all their aches and pains before the race:eek: or maybe they were just talking about how they were going to run me over at the next race for my interent commentary:D

On a serioius note, Ed Malott has been having an impresive year and is currently for 2nd in points with Thomas Waybright, but Thomas has the advantage with throw aways, so Ed will need to stay ahead of Thomas to remain in 2nd.

Jay Condon is one of the few riders you will find smoking a cigarette on the line before the race, but it doesn't seem to bother him much becaue he is currently running in 4th place.

Admin
08-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Jay Gobel is a face that anyone that races in the GNCC series should be familiar with because of his dedicated involvement in the sport with Maxxis and Team Safari.

Admin
08-12-2004, 12:54 PM
With everyone lined up , the National Anthem brought riders to their feet before the start of the race.

Admin
08-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Women & Super Senior Clases

The Women and Super Senior riders raced to the first turn with Traci Cecco edging out Stephanie Parton. Brenda Kress took the outside line and was hard on the gas in third.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Johnny Gallagher got off to a slower than normal start with John Foster right along side of him.

Johnny Gallagher has the Super Senior Class Championship wrapped up this year with 8 wins heading into the Penton:macho

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:03 PM
By the end of the 1st lap, Stephanie Parton had check out on the class with over a minute lead over 2nd Place Angel Atwell. Traci Cecco was back to third place and over 1.5 minutes behind with Brenda Kress running 4th right behind her as they went through scoring.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:06 PM
by 2nd lap, Stephanie Parton extended her lead to over 2.5 minutes over Traci Cecco who moved up to 2nd place after passing Angel Atwell. Stephanie was on a mission to wrap up the championship early this year and in her homestate.

Angel Atwell

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:09 PM
By lap three, Stephanie continued to extend her lead over Traci, and it was going to take a miracle for Traci to be able to overcome the three minute gap.

Brenda Kress passed the fading Angel Atwell and took over the third spot.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
Stephanie Parton rode the 1st four laps flawlessly and maintained not only the Women's lead but also the overall lead. Racer Productions surprised many riders when they waved the white flag at the end of lap four, which sent the morning race into five laps. The heat & humidity began taking its toll on many riders and they began to pull over take a break.

Stephanie Parton didn't pull over, but all the lapped traffic and extra lap slowed her down by over two minutes in the last lap.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Traci Cecco gave it everything she had as usual, but it just wasn't enough:(. Traci wasn't able to capitalize Stephanie's slower last lap because she was also faced with the same obsticles which also slowed her down.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:32 PM
The completely drained and exhausted Stephanie Parton put her Troy Racing Suzuki on the Podium for the 8th time this year:macho

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Traci made her way to podium as well with her currently scored third overall. Traci thanked her sponsors this year (Alba Action, Team Safari, Maxxis, Hiper, Lonestar, Wiseco, Tireballs, Moose, Quadshop, and many others..) for all of their support.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Stephanie Parton quickly perked up after getting some water and was all smiles after claiming the Women's Champsionship:macho.

Congratulations Stephanie on a great year, and I personally was hoping to see it come down to the last race of the year as in the past, but atleast you ladies now have the oppurtinuty to take a break from the morning racing, and try out your skills in the Afternoon, which would be extremely exciting to watch.

Admin
08-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Traci Cecco kept her spirits high and gave everyone at EXriders.com a thumbs up for all of their support this year! It is great to have such talented women racers actively involved with EXriders.com and I thank both Traci & Stephanie for their EXriders.com support this year and incredible racing action:D

sunshine
08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I just wanted to thank all my sponsors for a great season I've had thus far. The championship wouldn't have been possible without Troy Racing, Maxxis, Tireballs, HMF, Klotz, Custom Axis/Ars FX, Moose, Douglas Wheels, Wiseco, Smith Googles, AC Racing, IMS, Fullbore, Cycra, Liquid Performance, RPM, Outerwears, K&N, HJC, W.E.R. dampners, KK of Dayton, Cometic Gaskets, Pingry's Racing, Johnson Brothers Racing, Racedaypics, Oury Grips, my Mom & Dad, my husband-mechanic, and Bill Ballance. Sorry if I left anyone out. Thanks exriders.com for all your great race coverage and all the fans whos cheering is what keeps you motivated. Hope to maybe race w/ the big boys in the afternoon at Ohio or IN.
04 GNCC Womens Champ
Stephanie

Admin
09-03-2004, 06:57 AM
Stock Class

Brandon Sommers made his debut in the Stock Class after having a dominating year in the 16-24 C Class. He was forced to switch to a stock YFZ from his super fast stroker 400EX, but he was worried.

Dan Kiehl waits in line with Brandon before the quads were released to lineup on the track. Dan is coming off his best finish in his career with a 2nd Overall at the Wisp.

Admin
09-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Tyler Lenig has consistently been one of the fastest riders on the track in the AM, but also has consistently ran into problems that have prevented him from finishing severall races that he could have finished in the top three.

Admin
09-03-2004, 07:03 AM
Michael Sroka Jr. has been having a great year and is currently 3rd in points behind Will Cashion even though he missed two races, so with five throw aways, Michael could easily move up and even win the Championship if he can finish up front.

Michael is a great racer, and I have had a blast riding with him this year.

Admin
09-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Billy Good has become a machine in the Morning. He made his Stock Class Debut at Loretta's and has won three races since which is more than any other Stock Class rider.

He has quickly moved up in points, and if he can keep winning, he will be a threat for a top three spot.

Congratulations Billy Good on your success, now take it easy for the rest of the season, so I can win the championship:devil: You are starting to scare me:eek2:

Admin
09-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Jesse Way's season started out with a bang with his top 10 finish in Texas and Podium finish in Florida, but he has since only crested the top 10 three more times, but he has been consistent and is currently in 6th place in points.

It great to see another District 7 Rider in the Chase!!!

Admin
09-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Mike Trapp finally saw the light and switched from riding his problem plaqued Gas Gas to the Honda 450R. He raced it for the first time at Wisp and finished a career's best 24th Overall.

Thanks Mike for keeping EXriders.com members updated with the GNCC Overall Numbers through out the season!!!

Admin
09-03-2004, 07:34 AM
A big thanks goes out to my Father(Ed) who has been a great help to me this season. Also, my Wife (Tina) has put up with me being busy all the time working my 40+ hour/week job, working on my quads, and keeping EXriders.com updated. This year has been an incredible experience so far, and I also would like to thank everyone involved with EXriders.com (members, sponsors, and racers) for all your support in allowing me to do something that I love, and that is ATV racing and journalism.

I am currently leading the Stock Class Points heading into the Summer Break, but it looks like I will be leaving the door open because I probably will miss the next two rounds because I am preparing to become a father. My wife is currently on bed rest, so I need to stay close to home for her until the baby is born. We our expecting our first child on October 3rd, and I can't wait!!!

Don't worry about the race coverage, Marty Eckert, Fred Mudd, and Kenny Hill have stepped up once again and will provide some incredible photos from the upcoming events. I will truly miss seeing everyone, but I will be home calling in for updates and keeping everyone informed.

Thanks Again to everyone for all your support and kindness!!!

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:03 AM
The start had Will Cashion grabbing the holsehot ahead of Billy Good for on the inside.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:10 AM
By the end of the 1st lap, Billy Good was out front with Will Cashion only four seconds behind him. Billy Good was putting on an impressive show on the MX track clearing many of the large doubles that most riders rolled over.

Over a minute back was Richard Travalena and I had worked up to within two seconds of him in 4th after having a mid pack start. We had lost alot of time on Billy Good & Will Cashion from being caught behind some first row riders that would not let anyone by, which created a long train of atleast 15 quads.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Tyler Lenig once again found himself out of the race after the 1st lap due to a throttle cable issue:(

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:17 AM
by the 2nd lap, Billy Good just checked out on Will Cashion and put two minutes between them in one lap. Meanwhile, Richard Travelena dropped back to 11th and I took over third place with Mark Rhodes working his way up from a poor start to battle with me. We passed each over several times back and forth, but he had the bigger balls heading for the finish line and launced over the double and barely made it and I left off to watch a big wreck, but he saved it and moved into third place and I dropped back to 4th with Brandon Sommers quickly closing in after being back to 9th after the 1st lap.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:27 AM
By the third lap, Billy Good remained out front with a huge lead of over 2 minutes, but now he had Mark Rhodes closing in with a 6 second faster lap time than Billy Good. Mark took over the 2nd spot, and Will Cashion dropped back to third place. Brandon Sommers made the easy pass on me early in the 3rd lap with a pure power advantage on a straightaway that he walked by me like I was sitting still. Also, I began to become fatigued from man handling the Z through the first two laps. I decided at the last minute to make some changes to the front end of the machine that didn't work like I had expected at all, and the Z wanted to roll over on me on all the offchamber turns. I learned a vital lesson from this experience and that is too NEVER make an change in your machine setup without first practicing with the new setup. Regardless, I was fading fast and dropped back to sixth place after Jarrod McClure made the pass and moved into 5th.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:34 AM
By the end of the 4th lap, Billy Good remained out front, but it wasn't the end of the race:eek: Racer Production decided to run another lap, which caught many riders off guard including Mark Rhodes, who finished the 4th lap and pulled off the track after the finish line. After atleast 30 seconds, he was notified that the race wasn't over, so he put his helmet back on and headed out for the last lap. During the that time, Brandon Sommers was able to slip past him as he reentered the track. Also, Tyler Lenig who had been watching the race on the sidelines since the 1st lap had his machine fixed and jumped out on the track between Mark & Brandon, but Mark was quickly able to pass Tyler on the MX track and began chasing after Brandon Sommers.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:38 AM
I waved Michael Sroka Jr pass me to take over the 6th spot after being back to 12th after the 1st lap. I was praying the race would be over after 4th lap, but I too was surprised to see the white flag as well and felt like calling it a day, but I am not a quiter, so I gave it all I had for one more lap hoping to hold onto 7th place in a very personally disappointing race.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:45 AM
By the end of the Race, Billy Good came through the finish line in 2nd Overall behind Stephanie Parton. Amazingly, Brandon Sommers able hold off Mark Rhodes and actually pull away from him and finish 3rd Overall and 2nd in the Class in his 1st stock class race. The unfortunate thing was that he wasn't able to get on the Podium which he rode so hard to earn.

Congratulations Billy Good & Brandon Sommers on finishing on the Podium!!!

Jarrod McClure had the race that I Predicted earlier in the season and finished 4th in the Stock Class and 7th overall in only his third ever GNCC race.

Will Cashion dropped back to finish 5th with Michael Sroka Jr in 6th, and I managed to stay in 7th with Ryan Morphew closing in fast finishing 8th, ahead of Chris Neal and Richard Travalena rounding out the top 10.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Utility Unlimited

Kevin Orris is one of the riders not on a Vforce in this class, but he definitely has one of the nicest looking machines on the line and is currently in 10th Place.

He definitely knows how to represent his sponsors!!!

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Doug Henke is the "Man" the way he handles the 500+ lb Vforce around the track. He has dominated the Utility Unlimited class all season with eight wins. He has the championship all but wrapped up heading into the last four races of the season.

Doug was having a great ride at Wisp until he flipped his machine and the roll over sensor was damaged which prevented him from winning the race.

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Doug Henke grabbed the holeshot in the field of green:macho

Admin
09-03-2004, 08:59 AM
By the end of the race, Doug Henke left the race of the class in the dust by gathering over a 7 minute lead:eek: I let him by in the third lap, and I could tell he was on a mission.

He ended up finishing 5th Overall and was only 8 seconds out of third overall and back on the Podium.

Congrats Doug on another great race!!!

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:01 AM
Roy Dodson finished 3rd behind Michael Shelley and had his best overall finish of 19th overall after switching to the Utility Unlimited class from the 33+ C Class.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Kevin Schmitt dismounted his quad on the MX track during the race, but quickly got back on with loosing a position and finished 6th. He is currently in 7th Place in points and one of only two riders in top ten on a machine other than a Vforce.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Utility Modified

Ohio Resident, Mike Chirdon is currently 2nd in the class on his Polaris. Mike has been extremely consistent this season with his finshing being 5th, which is impressive in such a competitive class that has been dominated by Scott Kilby.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:10 AM
The start had Thomas Farr taking the holeshot with Jim Stack and Mike Chirdon in chase.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
With Scott Kilby unable to compete in the event, Brandon Lockart made his GNCC Utility Mod Debut and won the class on his Suzuki. Thomas Farr held on to finish 2nd just over a minuted behind Brandon.

Mike Chirdon finished out the race in 3rd Place!

Jeff Schmitt finished 5th on his Honda in Blue Jeans. This was his first race of the season, and he went on to race Sunday on the Motocycles as well.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:14 AM
Brian Guinter finished 6th in the Class and is currently 3rd in points.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Utility Stock

Ohio Resident, Joshua McKee gave GNCC racing a try for the 1st time on his Suzuki.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Jack Ramsey is currently 5th in points and has only finished one race out of the top 10 all season.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Mike Penland once again grabbed the Holeshot:macho

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:21 AM
Ken Robey passed Mike Penland in the 2nd lap and lead the rest of the race with a 2 minute lead at the finish.

This was Ken's 2nd win in a row over Mike Penland and third out of four races. Mike Penland has the championship wrapped up again this season, but Ken Robey looks to be a threat for next season. I am curious to see how Ken does in the last three rounds.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Mike Penland finished out the race in 2nd Place, but with six wins and four 2nd place finishes he is set to win his 11th Championship, I believe, which is an incredible accomplishment:macho

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Darrell Thomas put in another impressive ride with a third place finish five seconds behind Mike Penland and is currently 3rd in points.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:33 AM
C Class 25-32

EXriders.com's own "Fabio" also more commonly known as Rico:devil: lined up for his 5th race this season. He had a his best finish earlier in the year at Steele Creek finishing 4th after he forgot to pick up the beer heading to the track:eek:

He hasn't forgot since and overslept for the Sparta race and hasn't crested the top ten since:huh The one thing for sure is that he has a great time at the races regardless of how he finishes.

Rob has been a great Moderator at EXriders.com for years and a good friend to many of its members. Thanks for making EXriders.com so fun you old man(is that some grey upstairs or just the sun's reflection???).

:D

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Another EXriders.com Member, Jamie Bougher, had his best finish of the season at Wisp with a 10th place finish in only his third GNCC race.

Admin
09-03-2004, 09:40 AM
Jasen Bougher has yet to have a top 10 finish, but has been extremely consitent finishing in the teens every race. He started racing the GNCC series at the close to home Rausch Creek round, and he has been hooked ever since. It is great to have guys like him involved in the series!!! Welcome aboard Jasen to a life long obsession:devil: You still may be able to get help before you go broke like the rest of us.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Jeremy Stuckwisch & Robert Ford chase after the leader Troy Nash on his Blue YFZ.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:37 AM
The Bougher brothers running side by side race to the next turn

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Gary Kiehl went on to win the race by over 2 minutes over Troy Nash for his 2nd Win of the season. Gary finished an outstanding 15th Overall and is currently 3rd in points.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Matthew Fulton rode his Z400 to a 5th place finish and is currently 5th in the Class.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:41 AM
Jeremy Stuckwisch finished 6th and is 6th in the Class.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Brian Spencer putting the hammer down on his tricked out Z400.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Jasen Bougher finished the race in the top 20 on his 450R. His brother Jamie only finished the 1st lap:(

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Robert Ford won two of the last three races, but after running in the top three the 1st two laps, he ended up only finishing three laps, but still is 4th in points.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:49 AM
33 Plus C Class

The Start had Ty Blair grabbing the Holeshot on his Z400:D

Francis Ondrejack switch from the racing the vet class to the C Class and won the race with a 23rd overall finish. Darrell Bozarth finished his 2nd race in a row in 2nd place and is currently 3rd in points. The class leader Barry Taylor round out the top three with a third place finish.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:50 AM
2 Stroke C

2 Stroke C Start!

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:54 AM
The class leader Matthew Copley had a great start, but ended up dropping back to last place after the 1st lap. He wasn't discouraged and rode the fastest the next three laps in the class and worked his way up to a 5th place.

Mike Budd went on to win the race and was the only 2 Stroke C rider to complete 5 laps.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:55 AM
Darren S Konzelman rode his way to a season's best 3rd place finish and is currently 8th in points.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:57 AM
1st Year Racers

Maryland resident Donald Woolford headed out to the Penton after finishing 5th at the Wisp. Unfortnately, he was only able to finish one lap at the penton. Hopefully, he will try it again at St. Clairsville.

Admin
09-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Stephen Stover raced in his 1st GNCC race and finished 23rd

Admin
09-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Well with the Dog Days of summer behind us, GNCC racing begins again this Weekend September 12th at Sparta, KY. I won't be able to attend the race, and I hope everyone has a great time. I am sending out some goodies for Racer Productions to give away for those that do attend this non points race.

coorsinmyc-bak
09-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Jeremy Stuckwisch & Robert Ford chase after the leader on the Blue YFZ on the start

thats me on the blue yfz.

09-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by coorsinmyc-bak
thats me on the blue yfz.

you mean THE troy nash got the holeshot!!!!!! I guess there was someon fast there besides me :D . Troy you going to sparta?

Wizard Racing
09-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I need to introduce myself to Harlen and Pappy at the track. It seems everybody was mentioned in the 33+ start picture but me. :(
Anyway, that is me taking the holeshot in the 33+ class. The all night drive and the heat eventually got the better of me, (excuses, excuses) but I still managed to maintain my second place in the overall points standings.

Ty

Admin
09-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Wizard Racing
I need to introduce myself to Harlen and Pappy at the track. It seems everybody was mentioned in the 33+ start picture but me. :(
Anyway, that is me taking the holeshot in the 33+ class. The all night drive and the heat eventually got the better of me, (excuses, excuses) but I still managed to maintain my second place in the overall points standings.

Ty

Sorry Ty:( I couldn't make out who it was, and I recommend you introduce yourself sometimes. I updated the post by the way to include your name. Also, congrats on your great season!!!

Thanks for being apart of the EXriders.com Community.

Wizard Racing
09-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Harlin,
Thank you for the post. I didn't expect or think you would change the caption. I haven't laughed like that in a long time. Everyone in the office wanted to know what was so funny. Thanks again and I will try to run you down and say hello in WV.