View Full Version : stripped bolt ???

450R_lover
07-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Alright... ive got a stipped bolt in my plastics somehow, ive taken my plastics off my 450r a couple times and there are 4 little bolts that go into the tank for the front plastic. One of the bolts on the top of the tank wont come out, it seems like the fitting inside the tank that the bolt screws into, is turning inside or something??? the bolt will turn and get tight like it's gonna come out but then you turn about a half turn more and it get loose and just keeps getting tight and loose but never comes out, it just spins. I need to know how to get it out of there, so i can get the plastics off if i ever need to.

Thanks alot for the help

CEET400ex
07-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Same thing happened to my tank on my dirtbike. There will be a little square metal piece in the plastic and it will spin inside the plastic of the tank. The tightness you feel is when the square metal piece is being turned so that it is in a sort of diamond shape compared to the square tank molding, then it will slip back into place and be not as tight. I didn't bother with mine because someone told me the only fix was getting a new tank. All it caused for me was for the left tank shroud to stick out a little which did kinda bother me. But im not going to buy a new tank for it just because of that. So you might check ebay for a new tank or maybe you race CC and could upgrade to a bigger capacity tank? Good luck :( ;)

markk
07-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Get a peice of wire and or a small screwdriver and pry-up on the bolt while u unscrew it, This might be easier if you use two ppl. But as for what caused it ( i dont know) I would look and see if it is the bolt, or the setting in the tank. and I would probley try to retap/or redie the bolt or tank and retry it. Hope it works out for u! (a guitar sting works well)