PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

yamaha1470
04-03-2002, 07:34 AM
After a hard day of riding when your quad is really dirty what do you do to clean it? How do you clean the engine when it is really dirty? Can you spray it with water? What are some places to NOT get wet? What do you use to clean the plastics, Chain, Air Filter, Etc... Sorry for all the questions but if you could just make like a checklist to go over it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You:square

yamaha1470
04-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Anyone?

JOEX
04-04-2002, 09:47 PM
A bucket of soap, water and elbow grease:D

Many people swear by liquid Whisk laundry soap, mixed 3-4 parts water to 1 part soap I think. I haven't tried it myself but they say it's the best.
Various sizes and shapes of brushes help alot to get into the nooks and crannies. I don't recommend spraying the motor when it is hot.

Chain: Chain cleaner
Filter: Filter cleaner

I like to start the quad up after cleaning and bring it up to temp again to help dry it out a bit. Probably not necessary but it's an excuse to ride a bit more:D I also turn the gas off and run out the carb at this time also, and after it has cooled about 5 min. it's a good time to check the oil before parking it.

HTH, Joe

spincr4hire
04-05-2002, 07:31 AM
After I unload the quad, I usually spray the thing down with the water hose to get the excess and loose dirt and mud off of it (make sure your atv's engine is cool before doing so). I then spray the whole quad down with Crown's Spray Power (in the white bottle or jug at your local wal-mart). This stuff works great in breaking down all the stuck in dirt and mud. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes, then spray it down again. Then I take a big bucket of hot, soapy water and a sponge or old rag and go over every part really good. I also mix a little spray power in with the soapy water (laundry detergent works good here, too). I usually pop off the rear fender and clean the air box out really good and clean the filter (if needed). I usually place a plastic bag over the air filter mounting hole and spray more spray power down in there, then rinse it out really well, with the drain plug out.
After a few minutes of air drying, I usually towel dry the quad off. Then I spray all the plastic down with either Armour All, 2001, or STP Son of a Gun...and let it set for a few minutes. I also spray the tires down all over with tire foam (STP usually, It keeps your tires looking brand new). I then wipe off the excess Armour All and tire foam.
Then I usually detail the wheels and all the metal and aluminum parts with window cleaner, and some polish if needed.
I would also recommend using the Spray Power on all your riding gear. I usually spray my pants and jersey down really good in the driveway, then rinse them off good before I throw the into the washing machine. My gear always comes out really clean ! Use it on your boots and gloves, too..
Hope this helps.:D

DESDAK4
04-05-2002, 08:09 AM
I let it cool then spray it off and take STP Son of a Gun and a rag to the whole thing. It works real good and the STP keeps the dirt from getting a solid grip on my plastic.

PsychoDave
04-05-2002, 08:47 AM
The easiest and cheapest was is laundry detergent!!!!
Use 25% detergent and 75% water in a spray bottle and hose down the bike and spray it on.Let it sit for a few minutes and hose it off.....it takes off the dirt.....then dry off your quad and spray down the underside of your fenders with WD-40. Next time you ride the dirt will not stick.....I personally spray down my whole quad with WD-40....everywhere except the brakes. EVERYWHERE!!!! Now it will dissapate water and it wont rust metal. And when you start it up it just burns off. Just my .02