PDA

View Full Version : FreeStYLe TiPS and TriCKs!

04-03-2002, 07:26 AM
Hey guys,
i want to freestyle a bit with my 400ex, not 200 foot gaps, but big enough to throw a nac nac or something, my big tricks right now are 1 footers and no footers, how exactly can u grab big air on a 400 i used to go like 10-15 on my RM 125 but thats when i found out 4 wheelers are cooler and had to get one. but really, im having a hard time getting this puppy in the air to bust some moves!
any sugesstions?
thanks alot guys.
This is what i got on my 400

04-03-2002, 08:01 AM
you need to practice on hitting big jumps first,,,there's jumps I hit and the last thing I want to do is a trick,,master big jumps first then work on the tricks,,also if your gonna start hitting big jumps your gonna blow your stocker shocks real quick,,,I blowed out both my fronts in about 2 months after I bought the quad..:(

04-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Thanks Rico,
but i am having a problem getting the quad high enough on those big jumps! i dont need the practice i need the height!
i feel the quad isnt getting enough power or im not gassing it right, im gonna experiment this weekend and see what is really going on. im designing a freestyle jump on my track upstate(which is slowly but surely being built) i got a 25 foot table top that i clear by 30 feet but it not enough for me!
any good suggestions on how far my first double should be apart?
thanks guys!

trx400ex
04-03-2002, 08:46 AM
its all in the jump, build a nice big single,, then go about 30 feet and build a 40 foot table top, that way you can jump anywhere from 30 to 70 feet and still have a good landing, that would be enough air for alot of tricks

04-03-2002, 06:40 PM
rico is right i blew my stock shocks as soon as i started hittin big jumps but when i first got my quad id just play around and not jump big at all but i could still do tricks i cant upload it because it says not valid but ive posted it b4 ,im goin liek 15 ft far and doin a nothing, my freind has done a saran wrap over it, its not how much air its hang time ,u dont have to go 40 ft to do trick,think about it 4th gear ur doin 45 to clear a 40 ft gap,u hit a 15 fter with pop ull be in the air just as long, maybe u just need to work on how fast and smoothly you can move on the quad,some guys just cant do tricks it all depends on the rider

Juggalo
04-03-2002, 07:19 PM
one of the most important aspects of freestyle is knowing and trusting your ride. you have to know how your quad is going to react to the lip of the jump and how its gonna react when your throwing your body around it while your in the air. also you have to trust yourself. if you go out there and jump and your not commited to your trick you could get really messed up. if your can't make the trick get out of it early or just try and make it. also you should learn to fall just incase you ever do bail.

04-03-2002, 08:32 PM
ive jumped 28 feet on my 3wheeler on a little 3 foot kicker b4 in my back yard.

04-03-2002, 08:37 PM
uh 28 ft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u dont have shocks buddy u sure u weren smokin?j/p thats alot for no suspension

04-03-2002, 08:39 PM
****..suspension doesnt have anything to do with the distance..yeah the landings beat the ***** outta me but hey..its still fun..my front shocks have like only 4 inches of travel too

04-03-2002, 08:42 PM
yeah but still 28 ft killed on my 200x and that had 7 in of suspension and i landed light , maybe u jumped but imnot believeing it without pics

04-03-2002, 08:47 PM
i dont have any pics of that jump..but my brother and my dad witnessed it. ill just have to go do it again and get pics sometime

04-04-2002, 06:09 AM
Hey guys thanks for the info, your right thanks for opeing up my eyes, i should have remembered its not the distance its the height, i went 10-15ft in the air on my RM but i didnt get too much distance! thanks guys im gonna work on my jumps upstate this weekend!
and im gonna work on getting the height not the distance!

u can go 28 feet on stock shocks. its all about the landing, no not your quad landing the landing on the jump. if u land on a downhill your alright but if u land flat then you can screw it up!
:D

Nausty
04-04-2002, 09:54 PM
well if you are having problems getting the air you auviously don't have much jumping experience with bmx bike or anything like that. Basicly is what you wanna do is right as you are about to hit the jump you wanna let off the throttle a tad and push down as hard as you can and then kinda swoop up as you start to leave the jump and get back on the gas when you hit the face of the jump or about 1/3 of the way up depending on the jump. Also for the actual jump you are gonna want the jump to be one that you can actually jump with your eyes closed with out worrying about biffing it. I learned a lot of my tricks on small jumps so that I got the quickness part of it down and once I had access to the bigger jumps I could really go big. If you want some tips on the best way to LEARN new tricks is to work your way up like for instance when i was learning a no footer I started off just bringing my feet up a little bit and as I got more confident I would keep spreading my feet out and then I was doing the same with no footers and then a no footer to no hander tell I could nothings.:D And even now I do the same stuff with can cans and other tricks. Also I know it sounds tempting some times but don't ever try something that you arn't confident you can do with freestyle because if you wanna learn a nothing and you can't do any tricks most likely your gonna no realize that you should spread your feet out first and then let go of the bars to realize the quad is moving ahead of you and you arn't touching it, to not be able to reach the bars so you try to 'catch' the quad by putting your feet back in front of the rear fenders to fling them up in the air and your landing on your head from 10ft up the in air. That is not the way to learn tricks because you will just get to the point where it isn't fun to ride anymore and is costing to much from breaking parts and not only that but you might end up learning tricks easier and with less pain by working up instead of just busting out the trick and hoping you get back on. And above all make sure you have your gear on.

Sick0
04-07-2002, 06:09 PM
Nasty is right bmx would help out alot. I rode BMX for ten years and pretty damn good at it. Ive been riding Quads for about a year and it topk me two weeks to learn nofooters, Nofooted cancans, nothings and the rest of the tricks ive learn.
Also you don't need a big jumps. I can do nofooted cancan off of 1ft bumps only gettibg about 2ft of airs.
Its actully alot harder to ride bmx and do bmx tricks so when you jump on the quad its pretty easy.
And you are going to build a trick jump, make it have a somewhat of a steep jump so it throws you higher so you get better lift. Steep jump require you to lean foward then throw your trick don't worry about the landing until you do your trick.
Practice hitting the jumpis the only way to get comfertable.:devil :devil

Wired
04-08-2002, 12:20 AM
Sick0 you said it best brother, BMX is a cureall when it comes to jumping! i preach this to everyone that asks me how to jump right. :macho

Sick0
04-08-2002, 03:29 PM
hey nasty what kind of bike you ride.

I ride a standard 500r. What kinda of riding do you do . Race or freestyle.
Yah I think BMX is a lot harder. I can't do nofooted cancan that good on a bike but then i learned them in 10mins on a quad.
also you don't have to land all that good on a quad. The bicycle you have to be presice. Like in rythem or on a spine.

Nausty
04-08-2002, 08:12 PM
What kind of bicycle? I have a gary fisher mullet. I don't ride it much anymore but during the summer is when i get into really big because usuelly I would go to differant towns for the weekdays for my dads work and i would just make new friends and last year I was in missouri practically the whole summer. My dad works for a construction company and so did the kids dad that owns the motel. Needless to say i want my back yard to look like that when i get older and buy a house. Plus we made a jump over a small creek and a bunch at a park. One time me and sam put our motorcycle gear on and were trying all this tricks it was a awsome summer we were tryin like a bunch of tricks sam tryed a superman seat grab. lol he did it perfect and then bailed off well actually he didn't do the trick perfect it ended up looking like a superman seatgrab air walk the way he did it it was awsome. I was trying a lot of tricks and crashing and he just did one or two though. I was trying nac nacs, can cans and some other tricks. oh yah back on subject if you were talking about bikes or quads I have a cr125 decked out with port and polish, bore, bills pipe, blah blah blah I could go on for ever and I got a 400ex. i am more into the freestyle stuff but the most I can do on a bicycle is the one where you take you hands off the bars standing up and bring them way out. But my HIGHEST jump on a bicycle is about 9ft and i'm not exagerating and I landed it. I was in the kids sams back yard where my dad had a brought in a bunch of dirt and anyways a bunch of my friends were there and we were have a contest on who could jump the highest and we had to keep matching or going higher. Well jacob went first and I was behind him and didn't get down there tell after he 'jumped' it to find that he went about 7ft and I didn't beleive and we were already arguing before so i just said "f--- it" I came down the side walk as fast I I possibly could and would stop peddling tell right before the take off and it sent me way up in the air and were all freaking out and then they told me he didn't jump it and i'm like "I coulda killed myself you know? That isn't funny." since I gotta be the one to beat with my friends with stuff. That was a awsome summer:)

Wired
04-08-2002, 11:51 PM
i ride a 1999 schwinn joey garcia signiture model, excellent bike!:D

04-09-2002, 01:33 PM
hey Nausty
it took me 2 days to learn no footers, and i have plenty of jumpng experiance, and its not how u take off on the jump, its the way the jump is designed , sure u can clear a 28 foot jump with like 3 feet of air! its the jumps slope, or make that throws you up in the air, throttle work comes in next but u cant catch 20 foot of air on a 2 foot jump just from working the throttle, i got race experiance and those jumps are desgned for technicalty and speed. not for height, you want height go to a freestyle track. thats the kinda jump i need to build one that launches u in the air. and thats exaclty the type of jump im building on my Motorcross track upstate, one freestyle jump, the rest r technical jumps so i can get the practice in, eveyone knows that racing is speed not height, YOUR TIRES ONLY GRIP WHEN YOUR ONE THE GROUND!
but it doesnt take a genious to figure that one out!

thanks guys
BIG AIR D

Sick0
04-09-2002, 02:10 PM
Hey nasty My bicycles is called STANDARD STA 500R.
I spent like 1200-1300 dollars on it. It has best parts on it. But I love BMX more than anything else. I can do truckdrivers, supermans, tailwhips, unlooks,nofooted cancan, Nothings, And a bunch of othere stuff. I pretty much a tech rides instead of go big kinda guy. I'm try to learn 360 tailwhips. I can get them pretty close. I know no one beleives me about doing all these tricks but oh well.
I learn hellclickers the othere day on the quad
I'm going to try them on a BMX soon. Ineed to ride my bicycle more because all I've been doing is riding my quad. The weather hasn't been that nice.:devil
I'm going to try to get pics this weekend of all the tricks I learned.

Sick0
04-09-2002, 02:11 PM
sleeping catfish is punk who can even ride a quad.
go away
:devil

Derek
06-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Hey Sick0, BMX might be harder for learning tricks but if you screw up on a BMX bike its not that bad but if you screww up when your 15 feet in the air with a 350 lb machine your F*CKED!!!!

Juggalo
06-28-2002, 07:03 PM
uhhh bmx bikes get 15 feet of air a lot too. i have a lot of respect for bmx guys. i can't do that stuff.

One_Bad_400
06-28-2002, 11:24 PM
i used to ride bmx all the time, you can be just as f*cked up on a bike as on a quad, i've broke my collarbone, fractured many things, and racked myself plenty of times on a bike, but i've never seriously got hurt on a quad, besides a fractured finger. but then again i can't do tricks on a quad worth sh*t, i've gotten 12 feet height and 60 feet length on my quad, but i just can't to tricks, the biggest things i can do are no hands and no footer. but on a bike i was bad ***

Nausty
06-30-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Derek6621
Hey Sick0, BMX might be harder for learning tricks but if you screw up on a BMX bike its not that bad but if you screww up when your 15 feet in the air with a 350 lb machine your F*CKED!!!!

umm ok.... Have you ever really spent time dirt jumping? you have no pads and when you crash on a bike you got pedals with teeth that cut your legs up you got the seat sticking up. Anyways I think dirt jumping you get hurt more than quads or dirt bikes and the only time I think about the 400lbs is when its about to land on me or run me over.

Sick0
07-01-2002, 03:02 PM
If you don't think you don't get hurt on a BMX bike you have no clue.

I've broken my ankle, Dislocated my shoulder, Mess up both knees, Spranded my ankles more time than I can think, knock out my three front teeth, Have had 20 stitchs in my chin, Stitchs in my shin.

So far I've sprain my ankle on my quad.
I've hit some pretty big jumps with a bmx bike. The biggest jump I've hit was 40ft double with a 7ft lip in the middle of a rytheme section. I still think BMX is a lot harder than quads. For what Ive learn in 4 mouths proves that. I'm a pretty decent racer and good freestyler because of my bmx bike. I've only been riding quads all togather for a year.

Derek
07-02-2002, 09:19 AM
ummm ive been doing both bmx and quad riding for the same amount of time and ive only broken my ankle and dislocated my shoulder in bmx. While jumping my quad ive had 2 inches taken out of my arm, leg broken in three places, and 2 broken ribs. On a bmx bike if you know your fuc*ed you can just throw the bike but a quad is coming down with you. You guys must not be hitting very big quad jumps if you think bmx is harder than quads.

Sick0
07-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Well anything can happen if you are doing sports, I watch somebody break there neck on a tire swing. I always seem to hurt my self on little rytheme section then on big jumps. I've hurt myself more on my bike than on my quad.
You must ride a bicycle to good or ride hard. I pretty darn good on a BMX bike, probly could get sponsered if I tryed. I ride my quad hard as well and try crazyer sh1t on it, thats more out of control. I bet I'm better on BMX and Quad than you
so don't tell me I don't ride hard or don't hit big jumps.

Juggalo
07-02-2002, 11:22 PM
yeah man, sicko is really good. i haven't seen him ride bikes but i have seen his pics on a quad and hes good so i doubt hes bull****tin you.

Nausty
07-03-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Derek6621
ummm ive been doing both bmx and quad riding for the same amount of time and ive only broken my ankle and dislocated my shoulder in bmx. While jumping my quad ive had 2 inches taken out of my arm, leg broken in three places, and 2 broken ribs. On a bmx bike if you know your fuc*ed you can just throw the bike but a quad is coming down with you. You guys must not be hitting very big quad jumps if you think bmx is harder than quads.

well honestly I think if you bike you take a lot more punishment and get cut and bruised a lot more broken bones I think but I think a mx quad rider is risking more because of the severity of a BAD crash. But as a sport I think dirt jumping you end up havign to go through a lot more pain.

Sick0
07-03-2002, 03:03 PM
Well no that I think about it, I think its about how lucky or unlucky you are. I think you can get hurt doing anything thing. And maybe I've been more lucky on my quad than on my bike. I guess it how hard you ride and how lucky you are. ]

Did that make any sence:devil