07-29-2004, 10:37 AM
I need some advice from someone who has/had seat time
on a Blaster with either of these mods.
I'm undecided but I've narrowed it down to either a
LRD P&S with a 30mm carb, reeds K&N. Or
a Paul Turner Fatboy2 P&S etc. Either kit I buy will
be followed with a P&P. ATVaction & Duncan claim the
PT setup is as fast as a stock 250r and can smoke a
bunch of todays 4strokes. Thats quick enough for me.
Thanks

bradley300
07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
i suggest the LRD pipe, and a blaster with those mods should be pretty right there w/ a stock 400ex. if you want to get real serious, there are quite a few 240 kits in the 40+ horsepower range

XCAdam89
08-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Like bradley said, I also suggest the LRD pipe, what kind of reeds are you planning on getting? For the porting, I reccomend either CPcustoms or GT Thunder, both are good. Any other questions just ask. :D

ex kid
08-02-2004, 04:16 PM
i got da LRD RFX pipe and silencer. big power gains. i've blown by many FMF's, Toomey's and PC's, and Bills. i'm a heavier rider too. the exhaust looks awsome and sounds great. i added Boysen fiberglass reeds. the reeds seemed to soom the power out down low. it has much more low end and now pulls off idle unlike the stocker.

ill be looking at porting and polishing by Trenga or LRD this winter. and a V force/Rad valve soon. a 240 kit is cool, but is illegal in most district "blaster" classes and the GNC MX series. in the GNCC sport class you can bump it up to 350.

my setup with the LRD pipe and silencer and Boysen power reeds

280 main jet
stock piolet
LRD needle 2nd/3rd position from the top
mixture screw 2 1/2 turns out
stock airbox
UNI filter
air box lid on.

any other questions lemmme know

i almost bought the Paul Tuner, it would also be a great choice. on my quad the way it is i don't have much of a problem hanging around stock 400ex's. they seem to pull away on a long straight.

bradley300
08-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ex kid

ill be looking at porting and polishing by Trenga or LRD this winter. and a V force/Rad valve soon. a 240 kit is cool, but is illegal in most district "blaster" classes and the GNC MX series. in the GNCC sport class you can bump it up to 350.

can you imagine a 350cc blaster:devil:

ex kid
08-03-2004, 09:22 PM
it'd be quite a ride.. how's urs coming along?

bradley300
08-03-2004, 10:05 PM
burgaurd swingy and elka shock are on now, but i clipped a tree 3 miles into a practice lap at my race this weekend, so its not dialed in too well yet, but even so, its still wonders better than the stock set up.

still runnin' the trusty stock exhaust too, lol and i got lots of new stickers, tinners air scoops are on the way. go my tag t2 bars mounted up, cycra pro bend handgaurds and spider grips. i'm lovin it so far! Leagers long travel front end is next:devil:

ex kid
08-04-2004, 05:49 AM
ditch the stocker! you need a little help agianst the big bores.

XCAdam89
08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
ditch the stocker! you need a little help agianst the big bores.

Suspension First :D Hey bradley, next season you can't blame not winning on your setup:p

bradley300
08-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by blaster12408
Suspension First :D Hey bradley, next season you can't blame not winning on your setup:p

yeah, thats the bad part about having a nice quad;)

i'll have a lrd pipe, reeds and good air filter by next season, maybe a few more suprises:blah:

ex kid
08-04-2004, 01:57 PM
i need shocks too, i'm thinkin of the Elka dual rate no adjust fronts w/out rezzies. for the rear i might go cheap and get Works Ultracross

bradley GET A STEERING DAMPER best money i spent on that quad, i got PEP, it works great.

BLOCK OFF THE OIL INJECTOR! THEY RUN BETTER ON PREMIX AND THAT WAY YOU KNOW THE PISTON IS GETTING OIL, MY PUMP FAILED AND THE QUAD SEIZED THE WEEK I GOT IT!

and just another thing i found out, if you going to do reeds just do it the right way and skip the reeds and get yourself either a Rad Valve or Moto Tassanari V Force 3. i don't know witch i will get myself yet. i added the Boysen Power Reeds and they seemed to just smooth out the power and not do much else, because without them the quad hit alot harder down low.

a kid has been showing up at district with a Laeger/Works front and rear end. it's awsome!

XCAdam89
08-04-2004, 03:16 PM
i need shocks too, i'm thinkin of the Elka dual rate no adjust fronts w/out rezzies. for the rear i might go cheap and get Works Ultracross

bradley GET A STEERING DAMPER best money i spent on that quad, i got PEP, it works great.

BLOCK OFF THE OIL INJECTOR! THEY RUN BETTER ON PREMIX AND THAT WAY YOU KNOW THE PISTON IS GETTING OIL, MY PUMP FAILED AND THE QUAD SEIZED THE WEEK I GOT IT!

and just another thing i found out, if you going to do reeds just do it the right way and skip the reeds and get yourself either a Rad Valve or Moto Tassanari V Force 3. i don't know witch i will get myself yet. i added the Boysen Power Reeds and they seemed to just smooth out the power and not do much else, because without them the quad hit alot harder down low.

a kid has been showing up at district with a Laeger/Works front and rear end. it's awsome!

I am also thinking about buying the same suspension setup you have, I mean, the elka rear shock is $700, and I just dont have that kind of cash. What year was the quad you had that seized up? What exactly does a steering damper do, I havent done much research on them yet?

ex kid
08-04-2004, 05:35 PM
i have an 03' that we bought used from a very reputable local dealer. it sezied with about 10 minutes of riding on it at my home track. the dealer paid for the rebuild because the quad came with a 30 day warrenty.

they rebuild the top end
put a new air filter
cleaned the injector system and said they found grass in it
they said the bore was crooked
and then tehy rebled the injector system

i brought the uad home and it ran good for a little while then it seized agian. so i call the dealer and the wrench that worked on it told me he threw a little premix in the tank to help break in so when the premix burned off and the injector failed agian i said the hell with it and blocked the injector off. it's ran well since ,but the life of my topend is a little shorter lived than others. it really wasn't the dealers fault... i dont trust any of the injectors anymore on ANY of them. with premix the quad will run a little better and you can you a good premix oil.

the steering damper stops the bars from being jerked out of your arms(when the front tires movement is influenced by a foriegn object) therefore causeing you to loose control. i race MX and XC and it was deffinatley money well spent. the PEP has adjustibility and i find i use a stiffer setting on a MX track than on a rough XC track. i wish i had had it for the Rausch Creek GNCC this year. it's a must have for any off road racing, every one of the pros are useing them and many of the MX guys are starting to use two dampers.

XCAdam89
08-04-2004, 05:46 PM
About the suspension, the elka fronts, and the works back. I think that would be an alright setup, I'm not sure whether to just buy the works rear or save up and just go elka. I guess I will worry about that later, Any idea on how much one of those steering damper costs???

ex kid
08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
go to your local dealer and tell them to get out their White Brothers Catalog a PEP retails for about $140 + tax

i got mine for $100

bradley300
08-05-2004, 09:13 PM
i think my elka/leagers long travel front end should be sweet, i cant wait untill i save the money to get it. it uses 16 inch triple rate shocks, wich is the best ive ever seen on a blaster:devil:

XCAdam89
08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm going to be running the suspension stock until I can afford some elkas. I dont know what fronts to get yet though. How much is the lt setup?

bradley300
08-07-2004, 10:31 AM
the a-arms retail for 699, and i think a run of the mill 16 inch front elkas run 805 retail or so, so its expensive, but i think it will be leaps and bounds better than any standard travel det up on the market.

and i got my plus 2 burgaurd swingy and Elka rear shock dialed in today and all i have to say is WOW. its worth double what i payed for it in my book! complete night and day difference over stock. the rar end bucking thats so common on the stock set up is almost completly gone. def. recomend this mod.

bulkdriverlp
08-10-2004, 10:14 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p74d17c76267e0e9c021f392a5909a375/f779c851.jpg

for some good info bout blasters go to www.michigandirtslingers.com, this is user name "gasman" quad, he has rebuilt it from the ground up twice he could definately help ya out.

kostelini18
08-25-2004, 06:25 PM
ive had a blaster for 3 years and just got a ex and my advice to you is sell the blaster its so much more fun on a biger machine

bradley300
08-25-2004, 09:29 PM
i disagree, i have (well, had) a 350cc 300ex full race port big cam elka shocks and i think when the blaster is done it will be the more fun machine, i love two strokes now that ive ridden one

and oh yeah, the lt frontend will be here friday!:D :devil:

kostelini18
08-25-2004, 10:13 PM
dude i just think you are wasting your time and more importantly your money if i could have dont the whole blaster stage over agian i wouldnt have stuck a penny into it and raced it stock for a year and then just moved to a bigger machine and i know i would be twice the rider but i blew way to much money on my blaster and i regret it

bradley300
08-28-2004, 02:34 AM
yopu dont understand, i dont plan on outgrowing anything or moving to a bigger quad. i'm 21 years old and this is the most fun quad i have ridden (yes, ive ridden all the 450's) it is just as its name suggest, a blast. i race the sport class at the gncc's so a biggr quad would do me no good, besides, once your in the woods, its more rider than quad anyway and those 450's dont take much to stay with or pass out on the trails. drag racing is a different story, but who cares about how fast something goes in a straight line

Meek
08-28-2004, 04:46 AM
It is cool that you will have a nice quad, so when are you going to learn how to ride?:D

bradley300
08-28-2004, 09:02 AM
i'll teach you how to ride when we get to texas meek!

Meek
08-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i'll teach you how to ride when we get to texas meek!

Why do we have to go to Texas for that?

bradley300
08-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Meek
Why do we have to go to Texas for that?

cause i just got your pm, so i'm callin you out in the sport class ******:eek:

Meek
08-30-2004, 02:03 AM

You need to keep it on the "D L" I don't want anyone to know that I am think of running the sport class next year;)

MY450R
08-30-2004, 11:25 AM
i think having a full pimped out blaster would be fun to ride
ive never ridden one so maybe i dont know but they look fun

bulkdriverlp
09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
i rode the one in the pick i posted above and if ya get a chance ride one, you wont believe the snap throttle responce. i dont like 2 strokes but after i rode that i give em second thoughts.

mersingt
09-09-2004, 03:07 PM
ive ridden one to but they vibrate like mad......

bradley300
09-10-2004, 04:19 AM
mine dosent seem to vibrate anymore than my 300ex did as long as you keep it revved up

XCAdam89
09-10-2004, 03:39 PM
mine dosent seem to vibrate anymore than my 300ex did as long as you keep it revved up

It might start vibrating a little more once you get GT Thunder to work their magic :D

flyin#5
09-11-2004, 12:21 AM
elka front shocks with rezzies, and a 400ex rear would be a good setup. i dont see the point in getting an aftermarket rear shock. 400ex ones are pretty good, especially on a blaster. if i havnt got it to bottom out yet (with the right settings of course) i sure hope you wont. if you have any specific questions pm me. im a blaster know it all :o

bradley300
09-11-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by blaster12408
It might start vibrating a little more once you get GT Thunder to work their magic :D

if he will do it, i havent actually talked to him about it yet. but sooner or later it will be a 265 stroker:devil: hopefully built by laz. thats later in the season tho, prolly do that over the summer break

bradley300
09-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by flyin#5
elka front shocks with rezzies, and a 400ex rear would be a good setup. i dont see the point in getting an aftermarket rear shock. 400ex ones are pretty good, especially on a blaster. if i havnt got it to bottom out yet (with the right settings of course) i sure hope you wont. if you have any specific questions pm me. im a blaster know it all :o

maybe its not such a great shock, if you cant get it to bottom out, then its way to stiff. buy shocks made for your quad!

XCAdam89
09-11-2004, 04:21 PM
maybe its not such a great shock, if you cant get it to bottom out, then its way to stiff. buy shocks made for your quad!

EXACTLY! If you are just a rec. rider, looking for some more performance, then the 400ex shock, or a 250r shock will work great, But people who race, and want all the performance they can get, will use a shock made for their machine.

Meek
09-13-2004, 03:42 AM

I didn't see the "gay a-arms" at Sparta II.:o

bradley300
09-13-2004, 09:26 AM
sold the gay a-arms and the quad there on. a-arm bushings didnt come in for the blaster, so i spent the day takinf pics for ********

flyin#5
09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
ever hear of ajustment? if your really want to spend the 800+ on a rear shock go for it, im sure it'l be great. i have a shock thats not far off from what those are. if your really worried about it you can have it revalved. sure i snapped my swingarm in 3 places.... but damn, who wouldnt coming from 10ft up, 50ft out, and flat landing. the 400ex rear was really close to bottoming there, but still held up, its the weak swingarm that didnt. i dont care if i cant get it to bottom out, i know its not what the racer is looking for, but i go pretty big, and i need suspension that wont bottom out but on the biggest of jumps.

for engine work go with the lrd. run a uni and if your using a stock reed cage id reccomend aktive reeds. a port job and a 30mm carb will make the thing haul around pretty good with that setup.

Brian450
09-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Just wondering why no one mentioned FTZ PERFORMANCE to hop up there Blaster's. Had they did my motor work and it was great. This is what I had done for XC racing: custom pipe, head milled for race fuel, reed caged mod, 34mm Keihin carb, 4-gallon custom alumium tank, works tripple rate shocks up front, beadlocks on the rear and a K&N air filter. When I raced it in New York, had to race against banshee's and the 250R. Did allright with these mods. Here is ftz's web site
www.ftzracing.com

bradley300
09-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
ever hear of ajustment? if your really want to spend the 800+ on a rear shock go for it, im sure it'l be great. i have a shock thats not far off from what those are. if your really worried about it you can have it revalved. sure i snapped my swingarm in 3 places.... but damn, who wouldnt coming from 10ft up, 50ft out, and flat landing. the 400ex rear was really close to bottoming there, but still held up, its the weak swingarm that didnt. i dont care if i cant get it to bottom out, i know its not what the racer is looking for, but i go pretty big, and i need suspension that wont bottom out but on the biggest of jumps.

for engine work go with the lrd. run a uni and if your using a stock reed cage id reccomend aktive reeds. a port job and a 30mm carb will make the thing haul around pretty good with that setup.

have you ever ridden a blaster with an elka shock? if your stock 400ex shock rides half as nice as my elka/burgaurd rearend, i'll give you the 800bucks i spent on the shock:rolleyes:

kjquadracer
10-04-2004, 02:17 AM
takl to vetos or theres this shop in sikeston mo that built the meanest blaster i ever seen, it was a 3 time national champ quad. let me try to find their name.

bradley300
10-16-2004, 10:56 PM
pipe will be here monday!! i got a lrd rfx. any idea how to jet it, exkid, i have biscily your set up (mines a white brothers filter tho) but no reeds, any idea what the jetting should be? i'd say the biggest thing will be the needle, never realy mesed with it b4, wich way should i go from you set up on the needle to compensate for not haveing the reeds?

ex kid
10-17-2004, 06:01 AM
they give you a 300 and a 310 main.

try the 300 first
use the needle they give you and try on the 2nd or 3rd pos. i think i have mine 3 notches down from the top. try 2 notches down.

i could run a 300 with no reeds and my airbox is all closed up.

bradley300
10-17-2004, 12:14 PM
swet, thanks for the help

XCAdam89
10-18-2004, 05:07 PM
man bradley, your blasters coming together alot faster than mine. Well if you think about it, you work all week, and I just mow yards on the weekend. :p First thing I buy will be the burgard/elka rear end. Then the snyder+3's and the Elka shocks.

flyin#5
10-20-2004, 07:28 PM
have you ever ridden a blaster with an elka shock? if your stock 400ex shock rides half as nice as my elka/burgaurd rearend, i'll give you the 800bucks i spent on the shock:rolleyes:

sounds good. i never said its as good as an elka rear shock, but for the money you are spending you can get a revalved 400ex rear shock (many people kept/have stock 400 shocks just because its not holding them back.. its an excellent shock) way cheaper. thats all im saying, if you have the money go for the elka rear, if you dont there are other options that are cheap, and very effective.

ex kid
10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
small peice of advice.

the O ring that LRD puts in the exhaust manifold is a peice of crap. mine melted. same thing happend to a friend. his took about 3 hours then developed a leak. i called LRD, what a crock of shi*. i asked if they could just send me a 50 cent o ring. after 3 phone calls it's not here.

what i'm getting at.....PUT HIGH TEMP SILCONE SEALER AROUND THE O RING WHILE IT IS IN THE MANIFOLD. THEY DON'T TELL YOU THIS ,BUT IF YOU DO IT, THE POS O RING WON'T MELT.

bradley300
10-22-2004, 03:12 AM
thanks! i got it real close right now, got a 290 main and the stock needle on the 2nd to top (i bought my pipe used, no lrd needle) and it runs great with the air box lid off, so i'm gonna grab a 270 and 280 and see if i can get it to run with the lid on

onall4rs
10-24-2004, 03:09 PM
for blaster performance hollywooddirtproductions.com
need i say more

bradley300
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM
yeah, HDP is a little too immature to get my business. who hacks onto a blaster site and bans half the members b/c another company claims thay can build a faster bike, even going as far as saying they will prove it if they can get a HDP motor. hollywood dirt did! what an unprofessional moron. he might build a quick machine, but he will never get my money

crandles
10-25-2004, 09:13 PM
You guys should check out thepowerpros.com. I put one of these pipes on my boys blaster. It is a top quality pipe. They are hand made. Not off a production line like many others. Also great poeple to deal with and good priced. I even have a power pros on my 426ex. Also check out 1dir racings G3 reeds and reed cage. Awesome is all I can say.

bradley300
10-27-2004, 03:25 AM
for anyone interested, all of my blaster aftermarket parts are for sale in the f/s section! be switching to a c-dale once everything is sold

Kingsj
10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
I have opened up the airbox, increased the main jet to a 240, added a Trenga intake spacer and also active reeds. The performance is acceptable but not off the seat fast. Anyone experienced similar mods ? What about a pilot jet, needle adjustment, another larger main jet & things along those lines. I am not currently prepared to buy a pipe, but was thinking the performance mods should have helped better than they have.:mad:

crandles
10-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Sorry but you will not see much performance from your mods unless you put a pipe on it. The main problem with the blaster is the exhaust and exhaust port. All the mods you have done bring more air and fuel in. Now you need to get it to flow out the same. Save some money buy a pipe you will be amazed. My boys first blaster we stuck a Toomey B1 pipe kit on it and I could not believe the difference.

Meek
10-28-2004, 11:35 PM
for anyone interested, all of my blaster aftermarket parts are for sale in the f/s section! be switching to a c-dale once everything is sold

Just because you get a better bike, that wont make you a better ridder. lol:macho

450 Racer R
11-07-2004, 06:44 PM
I'm running the toomey B1 with a 310 main and vito's needle. Along with vito's piston and reed spacer with the delta 2 reed cage... it'll pull your arms out of socket.

If you're going with a bigger main jet you need to switch out your needle or you'll be running too lean at mid-throttle and burn up your cylinder

bradley300
11-07-2004, 08:55 PM
now i have the lrd needle on the second clip from the top, LRD full exhaust, and white brothers air filter, the airbox lid is on and i have a stock pilot. right now i am at a 260 main and am STILL to rich, it worries me that i am this close to stock jetting. with the lid's snorkel off, it seems to run ok, but i think it can go better

crandles
11-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Where is it rich? Low, middle, or top? Bottem is your Pilot and air screw, Mid is your needle position, top is your main. I would take the air box lid totally off. Think about getting a set of v- force reeds and cage. 260 main seems a little low, but all blasters are different. Also what type of oil and ratio are you mixing?

bradley300
11-08-2004, 09:40 AM
i have the oil injector on it now, and i'm sure not taking off the airbox, i race gncc so to me, the lid is a must. its bogging on top, but when it was doing it even worse, i thought what the heck, lean out the needle just to see what it does, and it made it better, thats where i'm at right now. i will be getting reeds eventually

crandles
11-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Still running oil injection:eek: My sons first blaster locked up becouse the oil injection got pluged. It is a very easy mod. You can make your own blockoff kit. The best part is you can lean your ratio out where it should be. Synthetic oil 40:1. Oil injection is about 20:1.

bradley300
11-08-2004, 08:03 PM
yeah, i know it, just havent gotten around to it yet,lol

Dust_1503
11-11-2004, 07:19 PM
I would of recomended the duncan pipe and work from duncan they really know their stuff. I got their pipe outfit and tech support on setting up other areas of my blaster when i had it. Very very good setup. Far as other things the dampener is a big help along with good shock setup. A friend of mine is runnin a full out elka system on his quad along with a-arms and swingarm from atv4play. This setup is awesome. The elkas are triple rate fully adj. preload, hi and low compression, and rebound and he also is runnin the dual rate rear fully adj. also. This thing hooks up so well it doesn't bottom at all, positive cornering, and hitting accel or decel bumps won't phase these socks they literally keep your tires on the ground. I never new a blaster could handle like that.

bradley300
11-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Dust_1503
I never new a blaster could handle like that.

mine does!i got laegers plus 3 lt's with elka shocks and a burgaurd swing with an elka shock, best money ive ever spent on a quad!

Dust_1503
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
They are definately worth riding once they get to that point! Its just the $ that it takes to get there

bradley300
11-14-2004, 10:09 PM
your tellin me, i sold my 350ex and a 01 blaster to pay for my suspension on my 03!