PDA

View Full Version : 87 250x flat throtle response

IBGPIN
07-29-2004, 04:45 AM
My 250x recently, lost alot of power, it just seems to bog when I hit it. It doesn't have the instant throttle response it used to have.
I have cleaned Air filter, new factory plug, has new CDI, fresh 92 gas.
Choke is not on. Bike is stock.
I have yet to pull the carb apart, I am wondering if some dirt from the tank has clogged something up in there.
It has also become harder to start, usually takes 4-5 kicks even after its warm.

Any idea's, or suggestions.

Thanks

dirtmomma
07-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Just a suggestion.....your valves may need adjusting. Also mine was acting the same way before we did that & put a new piston in it. You nay want to do a compression test on it. I think the comp should be @ 190?? If I'm wrong someone correct me PLEASE!!! I think my comp was @ 130 :eek: :eek: Now i could have all those #'s wrong BUT it wasn't good LOL
Good luck;)

wilkin250r
07-29-2004, 02:16 PM
130 isn't too bad. It's certainly not great, but it doesn't require immediate action. Anything under 100 pretty much means your motor is dead and needs a top-end rebuild.

dirtmomma
07-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
130 isn't too bad. It's certainly not great, but it doesn't require immediate action. Anything under 100 pretty much means your motor is dead and needs a top-end rebuild.

Yeah, I just remembered it was 90 :eek2: for some reason when I came back online I remembered that must be old age LMAO ;)

IBGPIN
07-30-2004, 05:59 AM
Thanks, for the info, I've been meaning to check the valve's anyway, guess I should check compression too... Hopefully not the case, this is supposed to be a cheap transition bike to get me by while I build my shop....
Thanks again!

dirtmomma
07-30-2004, 09:42 AM
WEll if it needs a rebuild it shouldn't cost that much really, a new piston/rings gaskets you should be good to go. I say less than $100 mine was anyway ;) Good luck!!