PDA

View Full Version : Completely stock 450r, what mods first?

asdf450r
07-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Ok after the past 4 or 5 months ive been saving up for aftermarket parts. And today that little account got a nice boost because its my birthday (happy birthday to me :D ) Well at first my 450 had some decent power, but now that im used to it its kinda not all that "satisfying" any more. Heres the bottom line: I have about $1100 to spend on anything i want (all of it goes toward the ride, of course). Im just here to get any advice anyone has to offer on what mods i should do first. Was kinda thinking of getting an HRC kit, but dont wanna really risk screwing up the cam timing and everything so thats not really and option (unless someone can prove me wrong?). Then was thinking of an exhaust system, which is definitely on the list. But should i get a full exhaust or just the um.. pipe part. The stock tires still have plenty of tread left, so dont really need to look in that category quite as yet.

Bottom line: whats the best bang for the buck in all departments? Im just a recreational rider, so dont really need any major suspension mods or anything. Mainly looking for power mods. Will be gearing down to a 13 tooth soon so that kinda has to be kept in mind....

Any help is appreciated! sorry if im a little vague in my description here...

Thanks in advance!!

416rider
07-28-2004, 07:32 PM
cam
exhaust
air filter
handlebars

the basics...

asdf450r
07-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Alright, i might give the cam a shot but might research it a bit more before i try anything. Is a cam really all that hard to install? should i go for something other than the HRC cam or what

416rider
07-28-2004, 07:44 PM
I'm going to get the sparks cam. I'm not going to put it in myself I'm going to my mechanic.

Scottie Mac
07-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 416rider
cam
exhaust
air filter
handlebars

the basics...

Sounds about right. The cam and exhaust will be a major boost in terms of performance. You may also want to try some different sprockets depending on what type of riding you do. '

Scott

REDARMYRACER
07-28-2004, 08:17 PM
the first, have an hrc kit installed, or do it yourself.
i prefer the hrc kit because of all the things included, not just the cam, but the needle, pcv valve, and main jet mostly. that way your in the ball park for jetting as you put the next set of mods.
see a lot of people are putting pipe and intake first, which i do think is the best place to start, but many are running radically different jet sizes.

an hrc kit will give you a different needle and a 185 main jet. (the stocker has a 118 main) however the two (needle and 185)in combanation will adjust differently. if you put the hrc kit on the machine THEN a pipe and intake you'll probably only need to jump another one or two main jet sizes. say a 190 or 195.

it all does depend on altitude and temperature, but with the hrc kit the bike will still run good. what comes in the kit will be a broad jetting that should allow the bike to run well in a variety of altitudes and temperatures.

i also think that the hrc cam is probably better than most others and heres why:
It comes from the manufacturer
it is a fresh cam not one that is welded on and then reground like many after market cams are
the bike will still idle good too, the more radical of a cam the worse she'll run at idle and may be harder to start.
the radical cams may produce more power at mid range or high rpms but you are sacrificing the idle ability. THATS NOT TO SAY ANOTHER CAM IS BAD OR WILL NOT LET THE MACHINE RUN WELL, OR EVEN IDLE WELL BUT WHO WOULD YOU RATHER TRUST, JOE BL0 OR HONDA.

there has been many posts of different cams compared to oneanother just look them up.

the hardest part of installing a cam is readjusting the valves, it's not the screw and nut locking mechanism like the 400ex. it's shim under bucket. to adjust the valve spacing requires different shims and some fancy calculations. (i would suggest getting a service manual from honda) but it isn't difficult.

with $1100 in my pocket i would get the kit, a full exhaust, some kind of intake a wide variety of main jets, maybe a rev box, and the bike will seem like a rocket ship wanting to atop the rotation of the earth.

dropping to a 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket is a good cheap way to make her fell more peppy to. remember thaugh it isn't more power is changing where that power is in relation to speed.

I WILLING TO BET I'M GOING TO CATCH HELL FOR THIS POST!!!!
BUT IF I CARED I WOULDN'T POST IT!!!!!!!
HHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHHAHAA:devil:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
07-29-2004, 08:56 AM
I think the best mod we have done so far powerwise over stock was adding an exhaust system

We did the HRC kit first and ya there was a difference but once the exhaust was installed completely different bike.

I would invest in some nerfbars and some handlebars, aftermarket air filter, if you don't use the parking brake then get a parking brake block off.

their are so many other things to do decisions decisions :blah:

sparky450AR
07-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Has anyone got a good portjob done yet? I know It helps a ton on the 400ex's, if you have a pipe, and a cam.

Also, if you are a recreational rider, and the 450R's power doesnt satisfy you. That means you ride like a bat outa hell. You wanna go faster? Invest into some top notch suspension.

asdf450r
07-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Nerfs are definitely going to be purchased as well, but as far as handlebars go what do you all recommend? Sorry, my knowledge of aftermarket parts is kinda limited. Im looking at the HMF full exhaust system, a jet kit, Uni filter with box cover, and AC nerfs so far. HRC kit is still a maybe, dunno if i want to mess with the shimming, or with the local shop (bleh). Might also look for new gear, ie boots and chest protector. My old ones are starting to look a bit shabby and small.

Thanks for the input