PDA

View Full Version : pro design tether?

canukracer
07-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I would like to know how everyone is getting the normally open pro design tether switch to work on the yfz? I had it working on the white magneto wire for a while but it stopped working. I also found out you should not do this anyway. If pro design built a normally closed tether i would hook in in series with the white wire and when you pull it off it would kill the power. Anyone with help on this?

Got nads?
07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
you hook one wire to the white and ground the other one to the frame. My works fine like this.

seven
07-28-2004, 08:49 PM
What he said:D

canukracer
07-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reply -- i tried again and it did not work -- the one line on the white wire and the other on the ground and it will not shut the bike off -- my yfz is hard to kill! i also tried a wire from the battery ground to the white wire to shut the bike off and it will not do it.

seven
07-29-2004, 08:49 AM
There is a solid white wire coming off your CDI box on the bottom set of wires. Put one wire from your teather switch to that. Ground the other end of your teather switch to the frame. Make sure you get the solid white wire from the bottom set of wires that plug right into the CDI box. This will work, I just did mine yesterday!

seven
07-29-2004, 08:57 AM
I took a quick pic of mine. You can see the one black wire going down to the bottom set of wires on the CDI. I grounded it with the yellow cennector.

http://idahomx.home.mindspring.com/DSCN1259.JPG

atl855
07-29-2004, 09:22 AM
when using a prodesign kill i bot my connector to hook it up from baldwin motorsports
info from baldwin (http://www.baldwinmotorsports.com/index2.html)
Baldwin Motorsports Kill Switch Wiring Kit - Yamaha YFZ450 $24.95

seven
07-29-2004, 10:39 AM
I knew about the baldwin deal but I am cheap!:D

canukracer
07-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you -- i did this and it worked. I screwed it up -- even a picture to help me! again thanks.

racer87
08-02-2004, 07:41 AM
if you don't use the baldwin adaptor you could burn out your stator, and i think it's worth it.

creechfan
08-03-2004, 06:09 AM
^^^ hows that man? you are doing it the same way with sodering.....just you are spending money on a plug.

racer87
08-03-2004, 08:16 AM
when u wire up the pro design you wire it into your cdi box and every time u pull the tether it sorts it out witch will eventually cause the stator to burn out.

08-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by racer87
if you don't use the baldwin adaptor you could burn out your stator, and i think it's worth it.

using or not using the adaptor makes no difference at all. All the adaptor does it makes it easier to conect without having to soder!

racer87
08-03-2004, 03:30 PM
the prodesign kill switch is not the right one for the yfz thats all.

seven
08-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by racer87
the prodesign kill switch is not the right one for the yfz thats all.

How come in the atv sport issue they use a Pro design on there shootout with the YFZ. No matter how you wire it you are grounding a power wire when the teather is pulled.

1iviper
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
from what i've heard the pro design is an open switch and a switch like a pingel is a closed switch.the pingel killswitch wires into your on/off switch so it's just like flipping the switch off.the pro design is wired to your ignition basically and shorts the cdi when pulled.yes it will work but sooner or later your gonna have some kind of electrical problem.

Aussiequadrider
08-04-2004, 02:04 PM
After telling half you guys how to connect your kill switch to the solid white wire, this way is disabled when you install a vortex cdi.

So I've worked out a better way that works for both cdi.
Follow the wires up from the oil filler plug (four wires) to just before the first connector (under the hood) the wires separate into pairs.
Pick the white/red pair and splice the longest wire out of the kill switch into the white wire and the short wire from the k/switch into the red wire.
No need to earth any wire.

Good luck, Geoff.