PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Repair

RR900_Pilot
04-02-2002, 09:14 PM
Okay,

Laugh if you must, but I was cutting my fenders this evening...
I had gotten the electrical tape in place exactly where I wanted it and was about half way done with the first side. I had cut with a Dremel from the front to about where the fender turns down. I thought that it would be real nice to have the cut piece out of my way, so I took a Jigsaw and cut across to remove the trash.

I underestimated the position of the blade. Soon I duscoverd that I had cut into the "good" part of the fender. The cut is exactly one inch long and the width of a jigsaw blade.

Is there a good way to "patch" this or do I need to redesign my fenders to remove this blemish?

I was thinking JB Weld or epoxy and paint.

Thanks

04-03-2002, 04:36 AM
This is probably not the best way but it is worth a try.
take a piece of your left over plastic and ether make plastic shavings or cut a piece thin enough to fit in the groove. take a torch and easly heat the plastic up until it start melting together.
don't give it direct heat other wise your plasic will turn black.
shaving will probably work the best, tape the under side of the cut and fill the gap with shavings. works good on deap scratches to.

this is what I did after cutting my fenders off, sanded to the shape I wanted them to look like, then took a torch to round the edges worked decent.

04-04-2002, 08:12 AM
Instead of using a torch that will burn the plastics, us a soldering gun and the tip will melt the plastics with out burning them, it works great. I repared my cracked plastic using that method. Just use some of your old plastic as a filler and melt it up. Them just do your best smoothing it out with the tip of the gun.