PDA

View Full Version : Axle bearings wearing prematurely??

CEET400ex
07-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Hey guys. I have a Durablue axle (in sig) and my axle bearings are wearing too fast it seems..This will be the 3rd time replacing them since i got it and its happening about every 4 months. What could be the problem? I am thinking along the lines of a bent axle or a bent rim and I'm keeping the axle nut tight. I don't notice any wobble until i get goin real fast. Whats the deal here?

Florida400EX
07-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Yeah, a slightly bent axle will kill your bearings. Check everything over, make sure your bearings are high quality too.

CEET400ex
07-28-2004, 04:27 PM
How/where would i get the axle tested to see if its bent or not? If it is bent its very slightly b/c its not noticeable until the higher gears like i said. What would Durablue say about a replacement? :confused:

Bill Fuller
07-28-2004, 05:04 PM
What kind of riding do you do?A slightly bent axle will not hurt anything.A simple way to check it is set the rear end (skidplate)on something to get the tires off the ground and see how much wobble there is.What kind of carrier do you have is it a double roll?Are you using quality bearings(they don't say made in China).When you replaced the bearings did you replace any of the dust seals or O rings?Do you ride alot in the mud?There are many factors that will cause premature bearing failure.

chucked
07-28-2004, 06:22 PM
what kind of bearings are you using, i had a set of pivot works in mine and they didnt last more then a few rides, i just went with oem and they've held up since

CEET400ex
07-28-2004, 06:43 PM
I am using the stock carrier and i don't ride in hardcore mud a lot but I am using some probably low quality bearings off of eBay. Its hard for me to see the sense in buying a $50 bearings kit instead of a $20 one if they will wear out just as quickly? So is there that much difference in the bearings? I am replacing the seals at the same time as the bearigns. Also, I noticed a little water type residue on the inside of the carrier....how could water be getting in even if I am replacing selas too

TC426EX
07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Ahhhh, thats the problem, youre running those crap bearings off of ebay. The stock carrier cant handle too much abuse even with the OEM stuff let alone the Ebay crap. Invest in a set of pivot works or all balls and give those a try. With that durablue you really should look into a double row carrier down the line even if its used off of ebay... Youll do half the maintenance and it will perform much better...

mustang93
07-28-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by CEET400ex
I am using the stock carrier and i don't ride in hardcore mud a lot but I am using some probably low quality bearings off of eBay. Its hard for me to see the sense in buying a $50 bearings kit instead of a $20 one if they will wear out just as quickly? So is there that much difference in the bearings? I am replacing the seals at the same time as the bearigns. Also, I noticed a little water type residue on the inside of the carrier....how could water be getting in even if I am replacing selas too :eek2:

Bill Fuller
07-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by CEET400ex
I am using the stock carrier and i don't ride in hardcore mud a lot but I am using some probably low quality bearings off of eBay. Its hard for me to see the sense in buying a $50 bearings kit instead of a $20 one if they will wear out just as quickly? So is there that much difference in the bearings? I am replacing the seals at the same time as the bearigns. Also, I noticed a little water type residue on the inside of the carrier....how could water be getting in even if I am replacing selas too You have answered your own question.How much money did you really save buying them cheap *** bearings.

CEET400ex
07-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Prolly lost money in the long run now that I think about it . But what you all are saying makes me feel a little more secure with buyin the $50 kit...I just didnt wanna buy a kit that much more expensive if it was being caused by a problem like a bent axle and the same thing would happen.:(

07-29-2004, 06:46 AM
i bought those cheap bearings offf ebay & they would last me about 4-6 months all the time....didnt really bother me changing them out

465Stroker
07-29-2004, 07:00 AM
It is the fact the your seals most likely not working properly. I would bet the surface that you seals contact on either your sprocket or brake hub or both has a groove from the friction of your seals wearing on it which causes water & dirt to be able to pass.

The only way to fix this is to replace the worn hub.

Let us know what you find.

wyndzer
07-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Another to look at is the chain tightness. If you run your chain too tight the bearings will be place under more stress.

465Stroker
07-29-2004, 08:08 AM
All you have to do is check your bearings..

Are they rusty? If so you seals are failing.

If no rust is present it is you bearing material..

Personally I have never seen an axle bearing faiol for anything but water & mud contamination which = bad seals or sealing surface...

CEET400ex
07-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I forgot to mention earlier that only the left bearing in the carrier if youre looking at the rear end is wearing out first. The other seems to not be far behind though. And yeah there is a little groove on my sprocket hub where the seals rub but it can only be noticed if I run a fingernail over it. I guess ill just have to deal with that for awhile b/c I dont have the cash for a new hub and or axle. Thanks for the help though looks like next time i will be buying better bearings.:o

cals400ex
07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
you can get all balls with dust seals from C&D for $30 i believe.