PDA

View Full Version : any drummers in the house?

Honda4trax250x
07-27-2004, 09:03 PM
question:

does anyone know the disadvantages and advantages of different material snare drum heads?

for exammple, the one that you typically see on a snare, the white kind of rough one, or the smooth stuff that all the other drums made out of? (like the bass, tomm, etc.) it also has two plastic rings that go along the outside edge of the drum, which changes the sound....

sorry if my descriptions are weak lol, i dont really know too much about this

thanks in advance

Mxjunkie
07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
from what ive seen and herd, the white is suppose to be the way to go, its what i use so idk, all the snares ive seen have had the white kind

Pvt. Maggot
07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
i'm buying a drumset soon..and all the drumsets i've played..my drummers and ect the white one seems to be the best sounding to me...remo heads are great..so yeah :)

batgeek
07-27-2004, 10:25 PM
it's all dependent on the sound you are looking for.

the rough white heads provide more of a *crack* type sound(rock and jazz snare) while the clear heads give a little background *hollow* kinda sound(like a reggae snare).

of course sounds from both of these heads can be altered via your dampening pad and by tuning the tension on the head.

the best sounding snare(marching type) IMO is the Scottish snare with paper heads....so crisp!!! beautiful.