PDA

View Full Version : Tech help please. ASAP

08-29-2001, 07:59 AM
Finally ordered and recieved the Sparks timing advance key and am thinkin about taking the flywheel in to get shaved. All my local ATV performance shops are swamped. Does anyone here know of, or have some kind of drawing or even good explanation on where and how much to shave? I have a machinist we use for work that has the capabilities I'm just not sure he would know where or what to shave without some info.

Another one, if I order the XR cam I can just replace my exsisting one correct, no other mods needed? (other than tuning)

One more those of you that removed the choke, did you use regular silicone to seal the hole? I found some metal type silicone, that should work well right?

Thanks for your support. :D

rhino99
08-29-2001, 03:04 PM
I have a question for you, I have never heard of removing the choke, is there a reason for this?

thanks

Guy400
08-29-2001, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by rhino99
I have a question for you, I have never heard of removing the choke, is there a reason for this?

thanks

Some people feel that if they remove the butterfly it allows more air through the carb. While it no doubt obstructs air flow, I don't know if it's enough to mess with it. Most guys running pipe/filter combos shouldn't really have to do this mod.

08-29-2001, 03:17 PM
It reduces the turbulence of the air/fuel mixture that the choke's butterfly valve creates. When the choke is off the valve is still creating a little resistance, removing the choke mechanism just gives you a little smoother of a flow path. Yes, you do lose a choke but I have never used it to start my bike.

nakomis0
08-29-2001, 04:47 PM
WJW77, I think they remove like 6 ounces, but I would really take it to a person with experiance who has done this before. If its not done right it will vibrate more and destroy bearings, cranks and anything else a bad flywheel can mess up.

Magic Racing in michigan does them and its only like 65$bucks.

I think a bad crank cost a little more.:square

enault
08-30-2001, 11:14 AM
I have a question, how does shaving your flywheel help and what is an advance key?

08-30-2001, 12:47 PM
Yesterday I went to one of our local Performance ATV shops and asked them about shaving the flywheel on a 400EX. They said usually they only shave the flywheels on Banshees and other 2-strokes that lack in the low. He said EX's don't gain AS MUCH. It just helps the motor pull outta the low a little quicker.

08-30-2001, 01:12 PM
Having the flywheel shaved helps the motor to rev like a 2 stroke,,you can go into corners a gear or 2 high,,without killin the motor,,,not a must performance,,but mines lightened and I like it better over stock.. The motor doesn't want to bog whether on a trail going up steep hills in 2nd gear or hammerin threw turns on a MX track..:devil

SporTrax400
08-30-2001, 01:15 PM
I used regular silicon, but either one will work just fine.

Greg