PDA

View Full Version : How to's for installing a 416 kit on a 400ex

kegger56
07-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Ok here it is, I want to put more power on my 400EX w/o reducing reliability. Does anybody have any how to instructions to help me do this? I consider myself fairly mechanical and intelligent, just inexperienced! Thanks ahead of time for any input and putting up with a newby;)

kegger56
07-27-2004, 11:53 AM
I forgot to mention that I have decided on a 416 kit from C&D (Gotta help the forum!) and a stage 2 cam. Is this the best cam for a recreational rider who rides fast dunes? Thanks again!!!

cals400ex
07-27-2004, 01:31 PM
the only tip i can give is to buy a service manual for the 400ex. it will take you thru every step. read the steps before doing anything so you how to do everything and you have the tools. the stage 2 is a nice cam. it isn't loud and gives very nice gains. when installing the stage 2 hotcam, you will need to remove the spring and plunger in the head. you will see which parts i am talking about when you get the manual. anyways, these 2 pieced don't go back in the bike with the hotcam.

3x440ex
07-27-2004, 07:42 PM
first off buy the manual like the guy above said.

after taking off the plastic and tank, make sure the motor is clean before you start to take it apart.

take it nice and easy with the valve cover bolts, some times they will snap on you, and when you put them back in only torque them to about 5 to 7 lbs. the manual says 14 but that's too much torque.

go buy some engine assembly lube and use it on the cam.

make sure you file the rings to the proper gap.

if you're buying the Ross piston, you may need a ring compressor because the rings are really tight.

don't forget to lock tight the cam sprocket bolts.

be very careful with the timing chain and do not turn over the motor (to put it on tdc) until you have the chain in your hand pulling up on it....if you screw up, the chain will get caught in the sprocket below and it's a ***** to get out.