PDA

View Full Version : LRD Exhaust Spark Arrestor?

HondaOnly
07-27-2004, 08:23 AM
I just finished Reassembling the top end on my 400ex. I did everything to it the engine, stage 2 hot cam, 440 11:1, ported the head, 38mm Lectron carb and to top it all off, a LRD Pro 4 exhaust system. Man the quad hauls, its pulls much harder than a raptor and its still running REALLY rich.

The downside is i didnt realize the LRD Pro 4 exhaust was going to be as loud as it is. I mean, it sounds like a harley at idle, and at full i cannot imagine what it will do. It is much louder sounding than than i have read. Reviews have said that its only about 95dbs @ 4000, my guess is its closer to 110 @ idle.

Does anyone know where I can find the spark arrestor insert for the LRD Pro 4 exhaust? Also, just out of theory, but i think the main reason for such high sound out put at this point in time is not actually the pipes fault. I think that since it is soo rich, i am not combusting all the fuel in teh cylinder efficiently and it is sending unburnt fuel particles into trhe exhaust where they are exploding, giving it such a loud raspy exhaust note. Does this make since as the possible explaination?

Thanks,
Greg

plkmonster2
07-27-2004, 10:39 AM
The "backfiring theory" could be possible. How rich is it? Is it boggy? The lrd exhuast is very loud. Have you heard them on other bikes? I've ridden a raptor with one, and it gave it a lot more low end, but the noise was crazy. If your worried about the sound, a spark arrestor woud do nothing. You'd have to find a quiet core for it.

HondaOnly
07-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Yep, the "Backfire theory" was somewhat correct. Turns out the carb was so rich that a nice thick layer of black soot built up on the endcap of the silencer. I knew it was rich all along, i was just running it that way for break in. As soon as i leaned it out later this morning it stoped belching black smoke and the sound became a little more mellow and more consistent and less raspy. Also, a spark arrestor will help quiet the sound down a little, because of the screen, it will slow the air exiting the pipe. I took some metal window screen and cut it to fit the exhaust, it seemed to further mellow out the sound, and reduce the dbs slightly, but not enough to be noticeable.