PDA

View Full Version : What gearing for sand/dune/desert trail riding?

hapychap
07-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Busy having work done on the wifes 400ex.

Installing a 416 high compression piston. Wife weighs in at 60kg. Looking for more top end but don't want to loose to much torque as it gives you the edge in the dunes. She is tired of been out raced in the starights by those pesky Z400's. Have a slip on T4 pipe and looking at a Big Gun CDI and stage 2 cam.

Appreciate any advise and the pro's and con's to support the advise.

cals400ex
07-27-2004, 08:29 AM
i noticed that aftermarket tires sit taller than stock even when they are the same size. i guess they are built a little taller and the side walls are a bit stronger. i have had good luck with 15/36. by the way, stock gearing is 15/38 if you didn't know. i think with aftermarket 20 inch tires, 15/38 would do great. my buddy runs this on his 416 and he has gained a lot of top speed. however, he does run aftermarket 20 inch rear tires. for the sand, you probably wouldn't want to run any higher gearing than stock and you might even want to 1 tooth larger on the rear. this will loose you some top speed though. with gearing, it is give and take.

plkmonster2
07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Most people would suggest a GT Thunder CDI btw, it advances timing also!;) I would run stock gearing in sand, but I like to get a 14 tooth front sproket, versus the 15 stock, so there is more low end on the hills.

zephead400ex
07-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Drop a tooth up front to 14. More low end in trails but will diminish top end.

hapychap
07-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the advise, I wil look into the tires because she is about due for new ones. Have to run them deflated in the sand and with the extreme tempretures here the rubber does perish very quickly.

I am not to sure about dropping a tooth in the front though, as I am looking for al ittle more top end. She weighs in light so there has never been any problems with climbing the hills/dunes. Usualy runs out of traction long before she runs out of revs. The top layer of sand just breaks away and it is like riding in soapy water on a glass pain. :grr: How about going up a tooth on the back?

Do all agree about the GT Thunder CDI? I was reeding on Dug Gusset home page and he highly recomends it, says it is very easy to start where others specificaly White Bros are difficult to start. :(

cals400ex
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM
most agree that gt thunder is great. i will be ordering one here shortly.

for a tad bit more top speed, you would want to drop a tooth in the rear not add a tooth.

hapychap
07-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex

for a tad bit more top speed, you would want to drop a tooth in the rear not add a tooth.

:o Thanks for that. The gearing gets me confused. Waiting for a price on the GT CDI.

cals400ex
07-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by hapychap
:o Thanks for that. The gearing gets me confused. Waiting for a price on the GT CDI.

with your exrider discount, it should be right under $125 shipped from the quadshop.