PDA

View Full Version : rear elka problem

cals400ex
07-27-2004, 12:27 AM
well, i think i have a problem. i just put a rear elka on my 400ex. it is compression/rebound adjustable, ssd, dual rate, etc. it is valved for a 160 lb xc rider on stock swingarm. well i am 145 lbs and i have a +1.25" leager swingarm. with me NOT on the bike, the little top spring is all the way compressed. the rear definately sits lower than the front. it doesn't seem right, but i am not positive. maybe this is normal, i really don't know. suggestions??

Fred55
07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
I do beleive that is what SSD does, its how it gets the bike to sit lower. Its perfectly normal.

bradley300
07-27-2004, 01:07 AM
yep, thats how its supposed to be, now just order some ssd front shocks and your quad will be leveled out again

Zingnut
07-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Yeah thats right, I bought a front set and a converted rear shock (Elka) and the quad without rider sits about 4 - 5 inches lower in the rear and about 4 inches in the front. With rider it levels out at about 5.5 inches all the way around. Makes cornering so much smoother, no more roll in the corners. It will also drastically improve your accelleration since the ssd lets the rear hook up so much better. I am amazed at the difference between my works setup to the Elka SSD setup. :)

Hope you like it...

07-27-2004, 08:27 AM
I thought you had a rear works shock zing?

Zingnut
07-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Nope about 2 weeks ago I bought Elka Front Triples with SSD and piggys and a rear conversion by Elka with SSD. I have had only three rides on them, but man what difference.

cals400ex
07-27-2004, 08:39 AM
thanks for the help guys. however, i do have ssd's elka's in the front and it jacked my bike up about 1/2 -1 inch. however, i ran my stock shocks on as loose as they would go, front and rear. i didn't realize this would make my bike sit that low. the shock isn't valved for an extended swingarm, but it is valved for 15-20 lbs heavier than i am. i was hoping i could just put the shock on and go. however, i realize i will need to get them valved sooner or later for best performance.

i hear all the time about tuning your shocks in. i need to do this on both my fronts and rear. however, i run 21 inch front and 20 inch rears. how high should i have my frame set off the ground?? my riding style is recreation, dragging, and a very little bit of mx. i wasn't sure how my 21 inch fronts affected this. thanks for the help.

REAPER
07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I beleive the Elka manual states ride height for mx=7"-8 1/2"

xc=8"- 9 1/2"

rec=9"- 11" these may not be exact but real close I beleive. Elka also says some riders prefer to have the front end ride about 1/2" higher than the rear. They also say have at least an inch of free-sag. I just got mine and haven't tuned 'em in yet. I can't wait till I do. LOL, Reaper

07-27-2004, 06:20 PM
With you on the bike measure it at the green spots in the pic below, bottom of the frame to the ground.

Right now mine is at 8.5 front and rear and handles great with the hammer down. I never really looked to see if the front sit's higher than the rear. And the top spring on the rear is supposed to compress all the way. ON the LT elka setup the top spring is stiffer and won't compress....:cool:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/images/extensions.jpg

markk
07-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Has anyone tried, the Live Rate setup on any elkas???

07-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by markk
Has anyone tried, the Live Rate setup on any elkas???

What is Live Rate????????

cals400ex
07-29-2004, 01:25 PM
when measureing the clearance, will the 21 inch fronts make a difference on what i need to set it at?

Florida400EX
07-30-2004, 07:11 PM
My friend is about to send his rear banshee shock out for the rear elka conversion. Hope it all works, cause I'm sure the valves going in them have never been used before (90 pounds banshee stock swingarm MX)