PDA

View Full Version : lowering

flat_track400ex
07-26-2004, 07:22 PM
ok i'm racing my first race this weekend and i didnt get my lowering kit can anyone tell me what to do. i was told to rachet strap the suspension down but i wasnt too sure.

thanks

dirtmomma
07-27-2004, 10:07 AM
well I've seen many people do it that way, what size tires are you running??? Isn't it lower than stock w/ those?? Maybe you can get away w/ it like that. I know when we put my 18's on the 400 she sits ALOT lower than stock :) Good luck

flat_track400ex
07-27-2004, 12:10 PM
i was jsut gonna use rachet straps for now till my lowering kits get here u got anymore advice for my first race

dirtmomma
07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Yeah RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT :blah: :blah: :blah: Naw really, just go out there & dont' expect to win your 1st time out, it will be different once you get your kits then your suspension will be able to work better. BUT do go out & have FUN FUN FUN it's definetly an adrenaline rush, I always come off the track just full of adrenaline & shaking :p :o HAVE A GOOD ONE!!

flat_track400ex
07-27-2004, 07:32 PM
hey thanks for the advice. who knows whats gonna happen i'm from central PA and it has rained all week and i saw its calling for thunderstorms for saturday so i'm hopin that they will hold off so i can atleast get my first race in, i'm real ancie. I'll let u know what happens and how i finish thanks again for the advice.

ghak99
07-28-2004, 05:27 PM
I am guessing you are racing a 400ex by your name. You can actually lower the rear by moving the lower shock bolt off of the normal link and simply bolt it around the rear link, right up next to the swingarm. This will lower it a long ways, This is not the correct wat to do it, but it willl get you by for a race or 2. We had to do this to my buddies quad, because his rear strut had not showed up and he wanted to race. Also let all the preload off of your rear shock, by moving the adjusting nuts all the way up.

For the front all you can really do is soften them up all the way, or borrow some shorter shocks. I know you can put warrior springs on stock 400ex shocks and it sits just about right.

I have seen many people actually use steel tubing as struts if it is a true smooth flat track. I have never done this and would not think it would be that great of a ride, but many do and like it.

What ever you do hold your line and never let out of it!
Good luck!;)