PDA

View Full Version : Which Frame

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 06:56 PM
We might start Building Frames, SubFrames, A-Arms, Swingarms, and Steering Stems. We have to Buy a Frame so we know how to go about making our Own. Which Frame should we get.? I was thinking a Arens or Laeger. Well Laeger is out of the Question. Nac`s said 2-3 Months for Arens. I think we will have to go with Lonestar. What do you Guys think? Anything we get will be put on my Brother`s 250r when our Frame is made. My Dad said something about Buying the Roll Design Setup. I think he is going Crazy. It`s 8 Months to a Year for Roll and Walsh. Should we just get the Lonestar Baja Frame? What Width A-Arms and Stuff should we make? Same for the Swingarms and Steering Stem. Any help will be Great. Now I hope I can get one of these Frames for my 400EX.

mrusk
04-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Nacs is full of it! The arens frame is like a year wait! I wouldnt buy a LSR frame. Yous best bet is to find a local racer with an aftermarket frame and make a deal with him. Tell him if he lets you get the design from his frame, and helps you with testing and stuff you will sell him a frame really cheap. Something like that.

matt

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 07:01 PM
Arens is that Long too? Man. Well that is a Good Idea, but I don`t think there is any Aftermarket Frames around here. Nobody has that kind of Money. That is a Idea though.

Foxrage
04-02-2002, 07:15 PM
Im full of what what did i say. Or do you mean Nacs Racing the actual store. I say just go and buy a used one off ebay or try atvconnection for one there are alot on there all the time just buy a used one if you need it for a jig i think there is a full laeger setup with stem arms and cr 500 link swing arm and im not sure if it is t pin or not on atv connection maybe get a package deal from that guy and quad251 or whatever has that one frame with no wait but shipping.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 07:19 PM
We were talking about Nac`s Racing.

Well I don`t think my Dad wanted a Used Frame. He doesn`t want to take the Chance of having it be Bent or something. Plus whatever we Buy will be put on my Brother`s 250r. Quad041 has a Lonestar Frame. His is a MX though. If we get a LSR it will be a Baja Model.

Anymore Help would be Great. What Width of A-Arms, Plus Forward, Length of Swingarms, Plus of Steering Stems, Etc should we make?

Foxrage
04-02-2002, 07:22 PM
O ya you could also try gibson maybe but i still think a used frame would be alright.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 07:24 PM
I`m not Sure. I will have to see what my Dad says. I think he wanted a New Frame to look at. We are just going to look at the Frame, and then Build our Own.

Foxrage
04-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Ya but you could be able to find one that is strait i bet my stock frame is strat and it is weaker than any laeger.

rhino99
04-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Why not just get a 250r or 400ex frame? If you are getting a lonestar or arens, it the same geometry, only the laegar protrax and I THINK, the Roll have different frame geometry than stock. Just get a stock 250r or 400ex if youare just planning to use it to design your own, would be way cheaper.

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 08:36 PM
Well once again, on a Stock Frame it could be Bent. We might have to use my Brother`s Frame though. We just need to get a Idea of what we are going to Build. For the 400EX Frame they will use mine. I hope I can get one of these Frames. That would be Nice. My Brother is hoping my Dad gets a Aftermarket Frame to look at because when they are done getting Ideas from it the Frame would go on his 250r.

04-02-2002, 09:59 PM
My Arens was a 6 Week wait. And is real nice. Rider 041 has a real nice 2002 MX Lonestar chassis for sale. I have not seen Mike Walsh yet but I bet I could get one from him in 6- 12 weeks. And Just to say it why not buy a stock 400ex frame from servicehonda.com I think they are just under $400.00 and you should get like 2 years out of them. I wish honda still had the R-frame. Then all the frame $ would be cheaper. Why pay BIG money for a frame like a LS 400EX when it's sooooooooo cheap for a OEM 400ex. Just a thought...

Dave400ex
04-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Where did you the Arens Frames? 6-12 Weeks is not to Bad. You could get a Walsh Frame in -12 Weeks? How much would one of those Cost? What all comes in the Walsh Setup? We need a 250r Frame, not a 400ex Frame. We would use my Frame for the 400ex. I would like to have a Lonestar Frame. What Frames are those in the Picture? You have a lot of Money in that Picture.

dawzie
04-03-2002, 01:06 AM
The best frame I have seen is the Walsh Craft stuff. Almost all the top MX guys run his frames. They are all ajustable to be able to run TT also. We have a lone star frame and it SUCKS. Had to modify parts to fit, their gussits have their logo in it and three of them broke, the sub frame is bent already. He makes frames for any motor. Look at all the photos on the cover of the magizines, look carful and you will see a Walshcraft sticker on most of them.

QuadRacer041
04-03-2002, 04:02 AM
racer 101 those are some bad ***** arens frames, why did you by 2 of them?want to sell the other. how did you get them in only 6 weeks i was waiting for mine since october so i called and told him to forget it.
warroirman, even though my lonestar is an MX you can still make your own changes to it if your building your own.
from what im told the only differnce is in the THICKNESS of the tubing, you can just use thicker wall tubing.
dont forget i got this frame right now not in 8 weeks,plus im selling it for $100.00 less then it cost's from a dealer. also everyone always says ill have your frame ready in 6 weeks or 10 weeks but TRUST me its never ready when they promise you.

Foxrage
04-03-2002, 04:20 AM
I would just go ahead and get quad041 and design your own modifications. or just get arens and make the same frame and have it last longer.

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Walsh is by Far the Best, but there is a Year or more Wait. We don`t want to Wait that Long. With you saying this Stuff about the Lonestar I don`t think my Dad will want one of them. We will have to think about it.

Quad041, I know we could get your Frame and make our own Changes, but when we are Done with the Frame it will be used on my Brother`s 250r. We don`t want to get a Lonestar if it is going to Crack and have all kinds of other Problems. Hetricks said the Tubing was bigger. He told me they didn`t have any Problems with the Baja. I don`t know what to do.

The only Frames we want are a Arens, Laeger, Roll, or a Walsh. Laeger, Roll, and Walsh are behind a Year or more. We can`t Wait that long. I would really like to find a Arens Frame. They are just as Good, if not better then the other Frames. I guess it doesn`t really Matter what Frame we get because we will make our Own, but we need a Frame in Good Shape to look at.

ChadEXer
04-03-2002, 08:58 AM
I think you should just use a stock frame and modify it and make it stronger. Use a better material and gussets and the stock design is perfect isnt it??

trx400ex
04-03-2002, 09:04 AM
i think id just put in an order for a walsh frame and forget about it.........theres alot of work to building a frame, first you need to have a tig welder and a very good welder, you have to know where to bend the metal, and how it bends without weaking it, the best way to heat it up, temperature? id leave it to mark laeger.. but thats just me...

mrusk
04-03-2002, 09:10 AM
I would just use your brothers stock R frame. An arens frame is a stock 88 R frame geometry in round chromoly.

If you do go through with making a frame, it would be best to make the prototype outta steel instead of chromoly, because chromoly is way expensive.

matt

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 10:14 AM
A Stock Frame will work for the 400, but I don`t think it will on his 250r. His Frame is Bent.

We can`t Wait for a Walsh or Roll Frame. Laeger is way behind too. We really wanted a Laeger. Arens is the Second Choice. I hope we can Find one of them.

trx400ex
04-03-2002, 10:58 AM
you might be able to find a used mint cond. laeger frame if you looked for a while

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 12:51 PM
I hope we Find Something.

Foxrage
04-03-2002, 02:45 PM
You will but it might be a while if you dont go for used.

Dave400ex
04-03-2002, 05:13 PM
I`m not sure what we are going to do. I guess we could use my Brother`s 250r Frame, but it is kind of Bent. If we go to get the Measurements for the Frame his might be off. Rather then that I think his would Work. We just need to get a Idea before we start Building one. We want to make our own Design. I don`t know.

Foxrage
04-04-2002, 04:35 AM
I would try to scetch his frame the best you can and add strengthining points where ever you can. And look at othher aftermarket frames.

Dave400ex
04-04-2002, 07:30 AM
Well my Dad told me last night if we can`t Find a Nice 250r Frame we will just make a 400ex Frame First. That would be Cool.

Foxrage
04-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Remember my name cause if you guys do i might be talkin to you about your famous frames when i need one and you can sell them to me at the minumum.

rhino99
04-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Why dont you make the frames with the same geometry and just weld on different motor mounts? That seems like the best solution, not a lot of difference in them anyway.
Just make your frame based on the 400ex frame geometry and then make a way to use a 250r rear shock for the 250r version, make it where you can mount up a radiator to the R version and leave everything else the same.
The rear shocks are different, so you have to be able to use the R shock, as I know I personally wouldnt want to go out and get a 400ex shock for my R. Especially since there arent as many aftermarket ones of those made.

Dave400ex
04-04-2002, 03:45 PM
NACS, I`ll remember you. That would be Cool if we got really Big. Well if we don`t I hope I can get a Frame, SubFrame, A-Arms, Steering Stem, and Swingarm out of this. LOL.

The 250r Motor in a 400ex Frame is a Good Idea, but I think my Dad wants to use a 250r Frame. I`m not real sure on this. They are still talking about the Frame. My Brother wants my Dad to Buy a Aftermarket Frame so when we are done getting Ideas from it my Brother can put it on his 250r.

James70214
04-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Racer101
Who are you? Were you at walden yesterday? Are you going SunDay? Where in Norht Jersey Are you?

Foxrage
04-04-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey what ever works is there anything i can do to get into this buisness cause if you guys go big i wanna be there with you. I woulf try to go with the walsh tybe lookin a-arms.

Dave400ex
04-04-2002, 06:10 PM
NACS, I don`t think you can get in the Company. We have to start making A-Arms and Stuff to see how that goes First. I told my Dad we need to make A-Arms like Roll Design or Walsh. That`s why he said he could Buy the Full Lobo Frame for a 250r. I think that is a lot of Money to get Ideas from on how to make our Own. Oh well. If he wants to Buy a Roll Setup I am all for it. The Guys at our Local Track would Die.