PDA

View Full Version : my new elkas do this..........

REAPER
07-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Finally got all my parts on and I noticed the front shocks move around a bit. For instance, If you were to reach out and grab the whole shock you could turn it like an 1/8th of a turn. I remember my stock shocks were rock solid. Is this supposed to happen or not?? I also dont have the settings right either and know ill have to get out and just fine tune em. What I have noticed is that I seem to get either a really hard ride and it beats me up or it's too soft and I get alot of role or leaning when cornering. Any suggetions as to ride height or which thread the spring compression adj is on would be greatly appreciated. By the way I have elka triple-rates w/piggy's comp adj only as well as a dual/rate, dual/adj rear. And I ride mostly trails.

Thanx a bunch, Reaper

P.S. How can I post a pic of my reworked machine?:confused:

TC426EX
07-26-2004, 05:35 PM
As far as being able to turn the shock around that is normal. I can do that on my PEP's too... About your adjustment problem I really can only guess. I was guessing that if youhad high and low speed compression both on that model that those settings could be out of whack. Im no shock pro or Elka expert, maybe Jeff or someone will answer this thread and help you. I DO know that it is normal for your shocks to turn though...

Cole Trane
07-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Are your shocks SSD? Meaning they have the zero preload self sagging device (SSD). If they are, you don't adjust your preload. I have the same shocks and the turning is normal. I have my comp set up right in the middle, and I do mostly MX.

kruzofman
07-26-2004, 11:32 PM
try bumping up the rebound damping.. can i ask you a quistion..how much did the front and rear shocks cost u. because i am looking to get the same

quadkrazy400ex
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
there supposed to have play side to side, its designed to do it.

boogiechile
07-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider2002
Are your shocks SSD? Meaning they have the zero preload self sagging device (SSD). If they are, you don't adjust your preload.

Actually you do have to adjust the preload to get your ride height set properly. This is critical with zps/ssd shocks.

REAPER
07-27-2004, 09:01 AM
The shocks are S.S.D., Elka piggy triples with compression adjustments only. The rear is dual/rate, dual/adjustable however.

Currently I beleive I'm runnin a free-sag of about 4 inches, and a ride height of almost 11 inches.

List price was around $1299.00 or $1399.oo {i got hooked up though}

If anybody would like to give me measurements on what free-sag, ride height, and which thread on the spring compression adjutment they have would be greatly appreciated for at least a reference point to start with.

Dankz, Reaper

Cole Trane
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by boogiechile
Actually you do have to adjust the preload to get your ride height set properly. This is critical with zps/ssd shocks.

I'm confused, why is it zero preload then?

INFANTRY RACING
07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
theres no preload on the shock when fully extended. it's actually a stupid name to call shocks.

boogiechile
07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
zero preload is a confusing term in shocks. Zero preload shocks really run at less than zero preload. Their only purpose is to let the quad ride at a lower heigth while maintaining all the wheel travel.

To help understand this, lets first learn what zero preload means. Zero preload would be the point if you put all your springs except the zps spring on and turned the preload adjusting ring untill it just touched the spring stack enuogh to hold them against each other and in position. at this point you could easily rotate them around with your hand but they would be just tight enough not to move or rattle up and down. Now if you put them on the quad set at zero preload like just described it may not sit low enough, especially if your are using aggressive spring rates. If it does not then there is nothing you can do because if you lower it with the preload ring, when the shock extends the spring will not be held in place against the spring seat and would come out of position.

Enter the zps spring. Now if we add a zps spring on top of the stack we can now adjust the shock for a lower ride heigth and when the shock extends all the way that little soft spring will keep the spring stack pushed down on its seat. The spring will totally collapse when the shock is compressed and therefore does not put enough pressure on the spring stack to compress them any so the spring stack itself is still in the zero preload condition. But the ride heigth is sitting lower than the normal zero preload position.

When running these shocks it is best to forget all that sag and free sag amount stuff and turn the preload adjuster to whatever it takes to set the ride heigth where you want it. that should be about 7 to 7 1/2 inches in the rear with a half inch more in the frt for mx and about 8 1/2 to 9 inches in the rear with a half inch more in the frt for xc. You can play around with different ride heigths to see what you like.

INFANTRY RACING
07-27-2004, 10:31 PM
you just confused everyone. :p

the zps spring holds the reat of the shocks from floating around when your jumping and thes hocks fully extended

Cole Trane
07-27-2004, 10:42 PM
No, it's a pretty good way of explaining it. So, I want my clearance at the frame to be about 7 1/2 to 8 in the rear and 8 to 8 1/2 in the front, right?

P.S. That is one of the trickest quads I've ever seen boogiechile

Cole Trane
07-27-2004, 11:28 PM
Nevermind, I just read the other thread similar to this one. Thanks for the help guys!!

boogiechile
07-28-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider2002

P.S. That is one of the trickest quads I've ever seen boogiechile

thanks, I worked hard on it. Building everything on it incuding the a arms, swing arm, steering stem, and etc with completely changing the frame geometry was a lot of fun but a LOT of work.